A plea to boaters...

fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: A plea to boaters...

Post by fall »

W105 wrote:we were at the lake yesterday...many boaters out there creating large wakes and no cop boat in sight...they should have just shut down the lake in my opinion..

those wakes are causing some serious damage to the shoreline...

The lake has been sedate considering. I didn't see the police either.
Where has boat wake caused damage or made it worse so far?
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

Graham Adder wrote:A "seawall" or "freshwater inland lake wall" would be a bad idea.
Looks great in movie clips, but in reality it's about as unhealthy as a shoreline can get.
Riparian zones are a necessity we keep ignoring.

I've got what could be the best idea posted yet. (j/k)

Let's make Okanagan Lake an electric only lake.
Make a new model for Canada, and abroad.
It has got to become a wave of the future, in the future. Why not be the first at something to benefit the globe, rather than the typical follower.
I bet if some of the tech sector suits in this town got together with Elon, there would be a Tesla Boat for these waters in just a few years.
Tourists would come from all over this flat disc (lol) to vacation in a quiet, cleaner environment while still harnessing all that makes this place so incredible.

I'd re & re my boat with a "kit" as soon as they became available.

Hmmmmmmmmm...

I gotta go whip up some drawings while I have them in my head.

It's Saturday, and it's after 12 noon.

:130:

Drinking in the sun?
And now back to reality.
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

lightspeed wrote:Sitting looking out at the lake. Local media released intel - specific places to avoid, places NOT to leave a wake. Absolute clarity for all concerned. Goofball wakeboard boat goes past close to shore, at speed. Leaving a huge wake in their path.

I wish I had one of those laser guided missiles I could launch from my deck. This goof would have been bulls eye, on target, total destruction. Swimming to shore in a drunken stupor to flop over the damp lakefront sandbags like a beached whale caught up in an Ed Hardy vest with white sunglasses, smelling of stale Kokanee and weed. Greenpeace would have declined the chance to save this useless *bleep*. Throw it back. Let it suffer.

Tourists....anusholes.

Did you pace the boat out thirty meters?
What is close?
How do you know it was a tourist?
A large number of watercraft out there are the new locals, half are registered in Alberta still because it's cheaper.
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

There is going to be the occasional idiot, from what I have seen most people are avoiding the lake or being respectful while on it.
What is going to happen when the wind picks up?
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

WalterWhite wrote:
Graham Adder wrote:I haven't seen anyone not wanting to comply with no wake.
I've seen a few people post or comment on going out regardless of the flooding, but none I've seen promoting tossing wakes.
I must have missed those posts.

The RCMP are out every may long, watching other boaters on the lake. There is nothing new or out of the ordinary here in regards to their presence on the lake.
The limiting factor is of course the same limiting factor that to this day allows obnoxiously loud and ridiculously fast boats to pester the rest. Lack of resources.
They have a very limited number of boats and a limited number of officers trained to use them.
It's not enough to be a deterrent to either drinking and boating, speeding, driving reckless or opening up the thru-hull.
All of those offenses will occur this weekend.

Despite my better judgement, I can only say your comprehension is lacking.

Postby johnrae » May 17th, 2017, 12:22 pm

Time to "Mark" the high water mark and put up a fence. Any property on the lake side of fence will be public property and the other side will be the property owners. This is great. Love it. I hope we get 35 degrees and the snow pack melts in 5 days. Flood them all. I will be watching from my boat while I am doing 15 mph and pushing a 4 foot wake.
Serves them right for poor preparation.

We cannot be responsible for the stupid......

The police have made a very specific comment in that they will be watching fro boats creating wake along the shoreline in areas of concern. That's right above in my last comment, Including a link for you too - which you apparently missed also.

W105 wrote:we were at the lake yesterday...many boaters out there creating large wakes and no cop boat in sight...they should have just shut down the lake in my opinion..

W105 wrote:boaters are going full bore out there..saw many ripping by without a care in the world..

just insane to think that by "asking" the public to take it easy that they would...

fall wrote:The lake has been sedate considering. I didn't see the police either.

Hey. Hey, you with the brains oozing out yer ears. Seems obvious to me that one of us was right and the other is you.
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

I'm glad to see fewer boats than I'd anticipated.
I'd assume a lot of RedPlates left their boats back home, which is great.
I wish we had more debris in this lake, more often.
This is quite nice, this quiet.

The locals know better.
The clowns that ARE out there ripping it up and tossing wake, are not from here.
It's just good to know there are those that have assured us all that pictures will be taken, and justice will be served.
:spitcoffee:

Here's an idea.
How about all the "neighborhood watch" groups band together and put some patrols on the water.
I'm sure there are enough "spare" boats kicking around that this could be implemented with relative ease.
At least then there would be some true presence on the water by concerned citizens with cameras and cell phones.

I'm wishing my bay-bomber was sitting ready to go. I'd offer it up in a flash. Paddle power just won't cut it. lol
RustyCrayon
Board Meister

Post by RustyCrayon »

Watched two idiots go whipping up the lake at full speed within 50 feet of the shore in Okanagan Centre this morning.
I hope they slam into a partially submerged log.
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

RustyCrayon wrote:Watched two idiots go whipping up the lake at full speed within 50 feet of the shore in Okanagan Centre this morning.

I wish no injury to them, but sure think different about their boat.
Hull damage can be costly.
Swamping your raft can be more so.
Both, is just lovely.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

We have, Dont Move a Mussel a good thing.
We need a Dont Move an Idiot. These days......
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

Graham Adder wrote:I haven't seen anyone not wanting to comply with no wake.
I've seen a few people post or comment on going out regardless of the flooding, but none I've seen promoting tossing wakes.
I must have missed those posts.

The RCMP are out every may long, watching other boaters on the lake. There is nothing new or out of the ordinary here in regards to their presence on the lake.
The limiting factor is of course the same limiting factor that to this day allows obnoxiously loud and ridiculously fast boats to pester the rest. Lack of resources.
They have a very limited number of boats and a limited number of officers trained to use them.
It's not enough to be a deterrent to either drinking and boating, speeding, driving reckless or opening up the thru-hull.
All of those offenses will occur this weekend.

WalterWhite wrote:Despite my better judgement, I can only say your comprehension is lacking.

Postby johnrae » May 17th, 2017, 12:22 pm

Time to "Mark" the high water mark and put up a fence. Any property on the lake side of fence will be public property and the other side will be the property owners. This is great. Love it. I hope we get 35 degrees and the snow pack melts in 5 days. Flood them all. I will be watching from my boat while I am doing 15 mph and pushing a 4 foot wake.
Serves them right for poor preparation.

We cannot be responsible for the stupid......

The police have made a very specific comment in that they will be watching fro boats creating wake along the shoreline in areas of concern. That's right above in my last comment, Including a link for you too - which you apparently missed also.

W105 wrote:boaters are going full bore out there..saw many ripping by without a care in the world..

just insane to think that by "asking" the public to take it easy that they would...

fall wrote:The lake has been sedate considering. I didn't see the police either.

Graham Adder wrote:Hey. Hey, you with the brains oozing out yer ears. Seems obvious to me that one of us was right and the other is you.

Such smug, condescending arrogance. You probably couldn't type that fast enough seeing someone post something that actually validates your outlook. Congratulations. I don't see any police on the street I'm currently driving, I guess that means it's safe to say there's no other police on the roads. I can completely disregard their long weekend reminders in the media to slow down since laws are just for suckers. smh
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

WalterWhite wrote:You probably couldn't type that fast enough seeing someone post something that actually validates your outlook. Congratulations.

Right you are, Walter. Right you are, and I thank you kind sir. I thank you, indeed.

I live such a hollow, meaningless life that any form of validation serves only to keep my head above water (or is that Walter), for yet another day.

Let's now move along, shall we?
I think you and I are both on the same page in regards to wanting people to exercise commonsense (commonsense needs exercising), and pay some respect to our fellow person(s) as well as the shoreline(s).
Let's you and I pay more attention to that part of the topic, and sling less muck. I've washed my hands and am willing to shake on it (so long as you too wash your hands).

Cheerio.
:130:
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

RustyCrayon wrote:Watched two idiots go whipping up the lake at full speed within 50 feet of the shore in Okanagan Centre this morning.

But then some cretin will question your observations and deny your claims.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

^^^ just drive over WR Bennett bridge & look around, it's pretty obvious then that boaters don't give a damn.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

GordonH wrote:^^^ just drive over WR Bennett bridge & look around, it's pretty obvious then that boaters don't give a damn.

yup, just reinforces to me why sooooooooooooooooo many people are a holes , rich or poor
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
voice of reason
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by voice of reason »

yup .i drove over the bridge shortly after noon and the lake was full of boats.luckily most were sailboats and only 1 or 2 other boats were ripping it up.now that im back home i can hear boats down by the cove givin er hell out there .

Return to “Flooding 2017”