Squatter's Rights in the Name of Community?

WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Squatter's Rights in the Name of Community?

Post by WalterWhite »

Community gardens are great - have one within a couple of blocks from me. This is not a community garden, but in fact someone that decided since they didn't like the look of the property next door - decided to use it for their own benefit. Now he's hoping it will be saved?

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#197376
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: Squatter's Rights in the Name of Community?

Post by Bsuds »

I suppose if the developer was able to work around it at least until everything was harvested this year it would be nice.
If not...oh well, it wasn't his to use in the first place.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

I think up to this point, it's a great story.
Greg Brown isn't claiming the property as his own.
He made productive and positive use of the land that was creating an eyesore for the community.
The garden has created opportunity for the community to grow...literally...together.
There is no claim of ownership, and no threats to sue the developer. Greg shows through his words that he acknowledges the land is owned by the developer.
He has simply asked for support to keep the garden as a garden for the community.
The fact that this developer is willing to consider changing plans is what this story is about for me.

It's far from often enough that we see or read of developers willing to work so closely with the people they will affect most.
This is the kind of kind consideration we should see more of these days, and I applaud (clap! clap! clap!) Greg Brown for initiating this movement toward community growth with community input.

I also applaud Axsiom Developments for their willingness to consider their impact, and willingness to seek alternative solutions that work with the people affected.

Bravo to all involved, and I hold hope for a positive outcome for Greg's vision of a community garden of the future.

:biggrin:
Leifer
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Leifer »

It is a nice story (assuming it all turns out for the gardener)
Sadly...you have to be real careful in letting people have the use of your property and take into account any Premises liability you may be exposing yourself to.

Sad but true.
Two essential strategies for success.

1) Never reveal all you know
2)
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

Interesting turn of events since I first posted on this - the developer has now said they will do whatever possible to try and work around the garden. That's great news. A lot of work was put into it, and if it does in fact remain then of course it's a great benefit for those that wish to partake in it.

It should be noted, that no promises were made by the owners about it staying indefinitely, and I would have been very curious to see what the outcome would have been had the developer taken the stance that it could not remain.
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

Haven't read the whole story, but surmised from posts. A plot of land owned but left to be an eyesore to the community (we all know why, bylaws are complaint driven and bureaucracy) that a community makes an aesthetic change for that same community to have the complaint driven bureaucracy work for the owner.
Would so rather be over educated that a knuckle dragging Neanderthal bereft of critical thought and imagination. Although in the case of Neanderthals, that's quite the insult.

Return to “Central Okanagan”