Businesses With NO Handicap Access

damama55
Übergod

Businesses With NO Handicap Access

Post by damama55 »

It is hard to believe, in this day and age, there are businesses with NO access for handicapped. For instance, A & W, out here in Lake Country has handicapped parking spots, but, NO BUTTON OR AUTOMATIC DOOR FOR HANDICAPPED PEOPLE. I have asked, over the past several years, if they are going to put one in. The waitress had said, "When they do the renovations, they will probably put one in." Well, they have done the renos, but, NO BUTTON!! When I asked, again, the response was, "Probably never." SERIOUSLY??? Here in Lake Country, there are a lot of folks, with wheelchairs, walkers, or just don't have the strength to pull on heavy doors, and, to me, it is inexcusable for a business not to have easier access for folks in these circumstances. Very unfeeling for the owner/operator. Maybe we need to boycott these businesses and make them smarten up.
Last edited by damama55 on May 24th, 2017, 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May we all be a blessing in the days ahead.
Loki2u
Board Meister

Re: Businesses With NO Handicap Access

Post by Loki2u »

damama55 wrote:It is hard to believe, in this day and age, there are businesses with NO access for handicapped. For instance, A & W, out here in Lake Country has handicapped parking spots, but, NO BUTTON OR AUTOMATIC DOOR FOR HANDICAPPED PEOPLE. I have asked, over the past several years, if they are going to put one in. The waitress had said, "When they do the renovations, they will probably put one in." Well, they have done the renos, but, NO BUTTON!! When I asked, again, the response was, "Probably never." SERIOUSLY??? Here in Lake Country, there are a lot of folks, with wheelchairs, walkers, or just don't have the strength to pull on heavy doors, and, to me, it is inexcusable for a business not to have easier access for folks in these circumstances. Very unfeeling for the owner/operator. Maybe we need to boycott these business and make them smarten up.

Looks like you answered your own question.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your INFORMED opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant. -Harlan Ellison-
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

You're kidding, right?
You really expect an A&W restaurant to put in an automatic door opener?
Really?
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

damama55 wrote:Here in Lake Country, there are a lot of folks, with wheelchairs, walkers, or just don't have the strength to pull on heavy doors, and, to me, it is inexcusable for a business not to have easier access for folks in these circumstances.

People who use wheelchairs, walkers, or don't have strength should not be eating crappy fast food. It will make them even weaker.

Crappy fast food should be reserved for strong people who can open their own doors.
Loki2u
Board Meister

Post by Loki2u »

Bman wrote:You're kidding, right?
Really?

The one in Vernon has one.

I'm not sure about other locations, but if you ever stop in at A&W around 7 or 8 in the morning, its pretty much filled with seniors drinking coffee and having a cheap breakfast. An ex g'f's grandparents hung out there every single day with their other old friends.

I'm not saying the OP should 'expect' one, but it seems to be a reasonable request based on my experiences at the Vernon location with all the seniors.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your INFORMED opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant. -Harlan Ellison-
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

damama55 wrote:The waitress had said, "When they do the renovations, they will probably put one in."

Maybe bring your concerns to someone with more insight and leverage on the subject then a simple staff member? Maybe the manager or corporate office?
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

^^^ corporate most likely would say it's up to franchise operator to have it installed & pay for it.
Some business owners can be rather cheap.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

The building is probably grandfathered..code of that time.
New builds, new rules..

Actually the last 3 weeks I have been on a knee scooter and crutches..them buttons are handy..
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
foodsmith
Board Meister

Post by foodsmith »

damama55 wrote:It is hard to believe, in this day and age, there are businesses with NO access for handicapped. For instance, A & W, out here in Lake Country has handicapped parking spots, but, NO BUTTON OR AUTOMATIC DOOR FOR HANDICAPPED PEOPLE. I have asked, over the past several years, if they are going to put one in. The waitress had said, "When they do the renovations, they will probably put one in." Well, they have done the renos, but, NO BUTTON!! When I asked, again, the response was, "Probably never." SERIOUSLY??? Here in Lake Country, there are a lot of folks, with wheelchairs, walkers, or just don't have the strength to pull on heavy doors, and, to me, it is inexcusable for a business not to have easier access for folks in these circumstances. Very unfeeling for the owner/operator. Maybe we need to boycott these businesses and make them smarten up.

Office of Housing and Construction Standards publishes a Building Access Handbook. Latest edition is from 2014 and speaks to the requirements under the BC Building Code.

Section 3.8.3.3 speaks to Ramps and Gradients.

Section 3.8.3.5.(4) speaks more to your issue, I believe. The key seems to be the area of the restaurant more than anything: >500m square means they have to have powered accessibility.

Anyway, look it up and have a read... But I do agree that talking with the Owners of the Franchise is the best first a step toward resolution. Who knows? You might just be able to achieve some measure of mutually beneficial, positive outcome for your community and the business. :130:
damama55
Übergod

Post by damama55 »

Thank you so much for the great info. :smt045 I for one, don't have to use the button, but, sometimes it would be a help. What some folks don't realize is, a lot of folks in the area don't have family here, so, they like to meet up with friends over a coffee at the fast food places.
MacDonald's has a button, why shouldn't A & W?? I just think we need a little compassion for folks, young and old, who don't have great physical capabilities, but still like to meet with friends over a coffee or a nice, reasonable breakfast. When one lives alone, often times we don't eat properly, or may not even eat at all. Loneliness is prevalent with seniors, and it does them good to get out and socialize, even if it is a fast food place.
Thanks, again, for the great info. :up:
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Bman wrote:You're kidding, right?
Really?

There's a head shaker .....

I guess the minimum wage staff are too busy to open the door for the handicapped person ? Perhaps we as a society have become too fearful of the handicapped to offer to open the door for them ??? Perhaps the establishment is so dead it has none 9f the above.?Perhaps parents have not bothered to teach their children manners ????

I'm guessing it has more to do with........ never mind.

I'll get ripped apart for suggesting that .
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
damama55
Übergod

Post by damama55 »

Thank you, MAPearce--I didn't quite know how to answer that comment, but I think you did, very well. I find that often times, another customer will open the doors for people struggling to get them open.
Another business that does have the button is Tim Horton's. As I said before, I just find it strange, in this day and age, that there aren't more buttons, or automatic doors. Going to make a few phone calls today to see what can be done. Thanks again. :)
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Post by whatwhat »

MAPearce wrote:There's a head shaker .....

I guess the minimum wage staff are too busy to open the door for the handicapped person ? Perhaps we as a society have become too fearful of the handicapped to offer to open the door for them ??? Perhaps the establishment is so dead it has none 9f the above.?Perhaps parents have not bothered to teach their children manners ????

I'm guessing it has more to do with........ never mind.

I'll get ripped apart for suggesting that .

What do you expect the staff to do? Stand outside for 8 hours waiting to open for door for someone who needs it??

Obviously, if staff (or anyone else for that matter) noticed that someone needed help with the door, they would help them. You can't just blame staff, who are cleaning, cooking, working at the till, for not paying 100% attention at the door incase someone needs the help.

And as for the whole businesses with no handicap access, it is definitely an issue. I know the Earls downtown doesn't have an elevator which has made it extremely difficult to go for dinner and outings with certain clients who aren't able to walk up the stairs. It is sad to see businesses in this day and age that aren't accessible for everyone.

Hopefully you'll be able to contact the owner and they will be able to provide a solution for the issue. Hey, maybe they will pay for an employee for door service :)
hail Satan y'all
damama55
Übergod

Post by damama55 »

I just got off the phone with the manager, a very, VERY pleasant lady. She listened to my concerns, and will definitely speak with the owner. As she said, they do have to consider the cost per return, but said perhaps the patio door would be a good access door to put a button at. Guess we will see how it goes now.:)
ORWELL

Post by ORWELL »

a commercial "button" costs about 3k-4k installed

mmm chicken buddy burgers w/ cheese....

Return to “Central Okanagan”