Is Kelowna Rails with Trail going fail?

Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Re: Is Kelowna Rails with Trail going fail?

Post by Queen K »

I'm going to set up a Lemonade Stand on the trail. Should make good money off all those thirsty cyclists who ride by.

:up:

That's my contribution to making it work and Khutchi, I expect lots of business as this project is going to rock.

Anyone, any up dates on the progress?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
onestop67
Guru

Post by onestop67 »

Queen K wrote:I'm going to set up a Lemonade Stand on the trail. Should make good money off all those thirsty cyclists who ride by.

:up:

That's my contribution to making it work and Khutchi, I expect lots of business as this project is going to rock.

Anyone, any up dates on the progress?

Oh sure, commercialize the trail for your lemonade. Now all the cities/towns will have to make bylaws to stop you from doing that unless you have a business/trail lemonade license!

Totally kidding...I think?

Didn't a couple more big donations get made in the last couple weeks?

I am 100% in support of the trail.
spooker

Post by spooker »

The fund raising is still going well ... they've had some good 5-figure donations and matching donations over the last little bit

The final design contract was awarded to a local company and the last communication said that they are looking to do some public engagement over the design this month (July) ... start of construction for the segment from Dilworth to the airport to begin this fall ... (from the last report to council)
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by youjustcomplain »

I'm in full support of the trail. I love the idea of it. Last I heard, I thought there was still a dispute as to who knows the land between Kelowna and Lake Country.. (Well, I think the land is in Kelowna). Thought I read that the OIB had closed the trail in that section. Is money required or is this just a drawn out battle of land rights?

I will use the trail very very frequently and would love to see my tax dollars used on this project !
madadam
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by madadam »

youjustcomplain wrote:I'm in full support of the trail. I love the idea of it. Last I heard, I thought there was still a dispute as to who knows the land between Kelowna and Lake Country.. (Well, I think the land is in Kelowna). Thought I read that the OIB had closed the trail in that section. Is money required or is this just a drawn out battle of land rights?

I will use the trail very very frequently and would love to see my tax dollars used on this project !

Locked gates are up at both ends of the trail.

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... 046-1-.htm
spooker

Post by spooker »

The OKIB has not said they aren't in favour of the trail but the section that is cutoff by gates is still in question and going through the courts ... if I remember right that particular section that runs through reserve land is under dispute if CN had the right to sell it as part of the overall trail ... but it's been a couple of years since I communicated with the OKIB about the issues so my memory may be fuzzy
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

Are we talking like 3-4 k,s ?
Is it East of Duck Lake ?
If it is we just go around ,till it gets sorted...
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
jasond_71
Board Meister

Post by jasond_71 »

It's basically where the sails are in Winfield between duck and wood lakes. I'm assuming you could just go around it but you would have to buy more land or have it go beside the highway.
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

Holy mackerels, mother nature is taking over! Just did the KVR from Myra to McCulloch. The trees are so overgrown its getting tight fitting through! Or maybe I need a diet. In a few years it will be impassable
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW
Sonny Taylor
Board Meister

Post by Sonny Taylor »

I hope this trail works out in the end. Perhaps it's just wishful thinking, but I hope it gets paved smooth all the way.

I've done about 42,000 Km over 15 years on very decent full suspension mountain bikes adapted for very comfortable cruising with road tires, high handlebars and handlebar extensions. Most of the 42,000 Km was done in the Toronto to Niagara "Golden Horseshoe" area at the west end of Lake Ontario. But I've done over 14,000 Km as part of that in the Okanagan. In total I suspect that I've ridden the equivalent of around the world at the equator.

I dream of riding the long rail section near lake level along the west side of Kalamalka Lake; just as I had wanted to take a slow train along the tracks years ago (yeah; I'm a train buff too).

I live in the lower mission very close to the lake and I know it's an extended but easy grade climb to get to (local) upper reaches of the railway since I also like to ride to the airport to do some plane spotting.

Perhaps I'm wishing for too much. I've just hit 61 years old, bought a great new bike (last one stolen). I'm getting back in the saddle again and feel ambitious. I'd really like to be able to ride to Vernon without the hills and traffic on hwy 97. This trail has the potential to be one of the coolest day-long rides in Canada.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

I agree with the last post.. really want to ride that trail.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

I agree with the last post.. really want to ride that trail.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Duplicate post
Last edited by dieseluphammerdown on Aug 3rd, 2017, 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Duplicate post
jasond_71
Board Meister

Post by jasond_71 »

You can ride it from coldstream to winfield now. It is an awesome ride. I didnt go as far as duck lake so I dont know about the part on native land.
I do have a double suspension mountain bike. I think it would be a little rough in spots without shocks.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

60-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:Duplicate post

J
No, actually triplicate post.l

Return to “Central Okanagan”