Is Kelowna Rails with Trail going fail?

OldBlindDog
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Is Kelowna Rails with Trail going fail?

Post by OldBlindDog »

60-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:
60-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:Duplicate post

J
No, actually triplicate post.l

I guess you really, really, REALLY want to ride that trail!
butcher99
Guru

Post by butcher99 »

60-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:I think your opinion vastly differs from many bike tourists.
Some will ride Ktown to Vernon and back in a day.
Most will probably camp or get let off in Oyama or Winfield, then ride one leg,and back..the other the next day.
Oyama has a store and maybe more.. Within a kilometer of the trail. Winfield has many things within a Kilometer or near that..
No doubt there will be businesses that rent bikes ir take you to one end so you can ride back, or get picked up.
So Is there really a need for everything to be right near the trail..
I doubt it..bike rides will ride two kilometers out of their way to get what they want..

See you out there in the future..

Non-bikers don't realize the distances bikers cover. My 12 and 17 year old grandsons will cover 60-80k easily in a day. The 17 year old will do upwards of 100 MILES in a day with his dad. These trails are a god send to them. Get them off the highways and into safer areas although they will still be on the highways I am sure.
butcher99
Guru

Post by butcher99 »

Queen K wrote:I'm going to set up a Lemonade Stand on the trail. Should make good money off all those thirsty cyclists who ride by.

:up:

That's my contribution to making it work and Khutchi, I expect lots of business as this project is going to rock.

Anyone, any up dates on the progress?

Sorry, with the backpacks they carry full of water they don't need to stop.
butcher99
Guru

Post by butcher99 »

I seldom ride but I will be on that trail as soon as it opens.
Got my bike all ready.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

any trail venture that encourages physical fitness and safety should be embraced :130:
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Rail trails are a great thing. However there seems to be push back if they are for non motorized only. That gets dealt with as "no-posts" go up as some don't appear to be able to read. In my opinion motorized, walkers, dogs, mt. bikes and horses don't mix well on a narrow trail.
The KVR trail from Penticton to the little tunnel has gone through all sorts of issues and some continue today. No-posts are up and have been modified so trucks can't push them over any more.( it was a large uni-mog type truck) ( took 3 attempts before the design was finally made to prevent the pushing over). People have walked their dogs up there off leash for 20 + years as there are few areas to do this. Now it has become popular, there are no shortage of drama queens that freek out 100 yards away about fido being off leash or even on the trail in the first place. Signs say dogs have to be in control but can be off leash. The trail surface is such that some have swapped tires on an older road bike with ones more suitable for hard pack and will ride thinking they are still on the road where 40kph+ is attainable. Nothing wrong with riding on Naramata road I believe but the speeds and not slowing down by some is a serious accident waiting for a place to happen. The mt. bikes for the most part just putz along.
Going to be some growing pains and no shortage of opinions I suspect, but a great idea.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
majjjl

Post by majjjl »

Personally I think we are making a way bigger project than what it needs to be.
I took my family from the Oyama to Vernon stretch at the start of June and see reason to spend all this money.
My 8 year old did close to 30kms on the trail the way it is and it was great. There was a lot of people biking and walking the trail, we even encountered a group with a couple baby strollers coming from the Kekuli prov park.
There was some areas where the trail was coarser rock but all in all it was fine the way it is, it's working just fine.
If they want to improve it, i say run a grader over it, add some crush gravel and a packer and call it a day.
No need to spend Millions to make this trail wider, maybe take some notes from Whistlers bike network...

Return to “Central Okanagan”