Question for the morel Mushroom hunters

Baulde

Question for the morel Mushroom hunters

Post by Baulde »

I started looking this year as I wanted to try them out, and have found a couple, at a reasonably higher altitude (1200m ish). But would really like to find out how the season is for others. I am not sure where it currently is (early/late) for the morel season?

Are we late in the season or are we just coming into it and the ones I have found are the first to come?

Also, are false morels an indication that you may find morels in the area? Do they show up in the same area but at a different time of the season? If you find false morels could that indicate that you are early/late or simply in the wrong area?
Relentless
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Question for the morel Mushroom hunters

Post by Relentless »

As a rule the Okanagan usually doesn't have any Morel mushrooms unless we have a good forest fire, and they grow in the burn area, if the conditions are right.

If you found some mushrooms, they could be false Morels, or possibly real ones.
Don't expect to find many, and yes the season is nearing the end for them, if there were any.

Finding false Morels really means nothing, as they grow anywhere.

The reasons we don't have good natural Morels around: Poor soil, too hot, wrong trees for them to grow under(for the most part) and no spore reproduction.

Your best bet is to look in damp areas where there are different types of trees and shady areas, this is where you might find some natural ones.

I don't think you will find too many Morel mushroom pickers in this area unless there has been a big fire the year before.
Baulde

Post by Baulde »

Well I found these today.
http://imgur.com/a/iAcxd

And a few more. Was not in a burnt area, actually found them on the path on the way to the area I knew was burnt last year.

And probably thousands of false morels.
davis123
Board Meister

Post by davis123 »

UltraViolet wrote:As a rule the Okanagan usually doesn't have any Morel mushrooms unless we have a good forest fire, and they grow in the burn area, if the conditions are right.
Not true, I have been picking morels for over 15 years in the Okanagan, I find mushrooms in the same places every single year.

If you found some mushrooms, they could be false Morels, or possibly real ones.
Don't expect to find many, and yes the season is nearing the end for them, if there were any.
the season for morels changes, go higher and you will find them

Finding false Morels really means nothing, as they grow anywhere.
I have noticed false morels are usually in the vicinity of the real morels

The reasons we don't have good natural Morels around: Poor soil, too hot, wrong trees for them to grow under(for the most part) and no spore reproduction.
Just scratch the above line, because we DO have good natural morels in the area

Your best bet is to look in damp areas where there are different types of trees and shady areas, this is where you might find some natural ones.
Or in bone dry gravel on the side of the road in blasting sun, you will find them in all kinds of conditions

I don't think you will find too many Morel mushroom pickers in this area unless there has been a big fire the year before.
There's actually quite a few local pickers around, the people in it for the money follow the fires
davis123
Board Meister

Post by davis123 »

Baulde wrote:Well I found these today.
http://imgur.com/a/iAcxd

And a few more. Was not in a burnt area, actually found them on the path on the way to the area I knew was burnt last year.

And probably thousands of false morels.

Congratulations Baulde :)

You asked earlier if you could find them in the same place, but at different times of the year...yes, keep track of where you are finding them, and the approximate elevation and what the weather is like where you are finding them. Next year, keep checking those areas when the temperatures are around the same and you will definitely find them growing in the same area.
Relentless
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Relentless »

davis123 wrote:Not true, I have been picking morels for over 15 years in the Okanagan, I find mushrooms in the same places every single year.
the season for morels changes, go higher and you will find them
I have noticed false morels are usually in the vicinity of the real morels
Just scratch the above line, because we DO have good natural morels in the area
Or in bone dry gravel on the side of the road in blasting sun, you will find them in all kinds of conditions
There's actually quite a few local pickers around, the people in it for the money follow the fires
[/quote]
I find mushrooms in the same place every year, but not Morels.
I have picked for 15 years as well, but Morels are a different type of inconsistent grower.
I have spent many years exploring the backwoods on an ATV and on foot, and have to say that I would love to find "one" good natural place to pick Morels, but haven't found one, and haven't been shown an area that has naturals to pick by any other mushroom picker in the Okanagan.

I have gone back to every location that had Morels at one time or another after a fire, only to learn that they seem to only grow good once and then only produce false Morels in that area, if any.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Not much of a mushroom guy. Sure, throw some on my burger/steak or into a tomato sauce, but that's about as far as I go.

Looking at Baulde's photo however, I may see morel's from time to time when out in the backcountry.
Couple of questions:
- I suspect I'm actually seeing these "false morel mushrooms" that have been discussed. Can anyone recommend a resource that shows how to tell false from real?
- If I was to find and pick some of these mushrooms. How do you go about selling them?

I'm not going to go looking for them, but would be cool if I managed to pay for a tank of gas for the ATV.
Relentless
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Relentless »

monroe
Übergod

Post by monroe »

Tks for the link UV.
" ... Kind of weird but hey, weird is normal on castanet " - LANDM
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Just realized that it's Pine Mushrooms that are valuable - not morel.

I'll leave the morels for those that'll actually eat them. Happy hunting you guys! :130:
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

those who seek the secrets of the 'shroom, have no morels
AtticSalt

Post by AtticSalt »

Graham Adder wrote:those who seek the secrets of the 'shroom, have no morels

bahaha...your such a fungi... :130:

Return to “Central Okanagan”