Okanagan Forest Task Force - funding

lightspeed
Guru

Okanagan Forest Task Force - funding

Post by lightspeed »

How can WE help these good folks?

Kane...is there a PayPal account people can donate to? Paying for gas is a good start, then vehicle service costs. I'm sure the people of Kelowna will donate even if they can't physically help it don't have time.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/1 ... al-dumpers
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Re: Okanagan Forest Task Force - funding

Post by WalterWhite »

People clearly don't get it - never have - never will. I'm still on the fence about the plans of going public and "shaming" those whose information is found among the trash. Still too much "vigilante"-ism attached to that at this point - but that's just me. It's a monumental task, and one in which the goal posts keep moving. I'm doubtful the government will step up with funds, and think some form of fund raising as mentioned in lightspeed's post is an excellent idea and needs to be implemented in conjunction with a full-on media blitz about the problem and OFTF and just what it is they're accomplishing. Good on you Kane, as well as those local businesses for stepping up along with the rest of your impressive group of volunteers for doing your part to make a difference - don't be deterred.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

Thinking a bit more about this, maybe considering more of a corporate donation/sponsorship program? Kudos again to those businesses that have already stepped up big time, but more is needed. Maybe something along the lines of the "adopt a road" program already in existence. Would be great if some of the areas larger businesses and corporations got behind this. The real problem however shouldn't be funding the clean up - it should be creating better, more effective deterrents to those dumping illegally in the first place. The problem needs to be eliminated. More trail cams? Enforcement and consequences are really what needs to ultimately be increased - unfortunately that's also going to be the most difficult to change, besides some people's behavior.
okanaganforesttaskforce

Post by okanaganforesttaskforce »

lightspeed wrote:How can WE help these good folks?

Kane...is there a PayPal account people can donate to? Paying for gas is a good start, then vehicle service costs. I'm sure the people of Kelowna will donate even if they can't physically help it don't have time.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/1 ... al-dumpers

Thank you lightspeed. My name is Kane and I am beyond happy with all the support we have gotten from the community and the media. We have a donate button on our web site http://www.okanaganforesttaskforce.com or if people want to wright a cheque it has to be made out to "Okanagan Forest Task Force Society". Our group will be going strong all summer long this year and cleaning up as much as we can. I cant thank all of our volunteers enough as our article says lots of this is all out of our own pockets. We are so thankful for the companies that donate and support us along with the whole community.
How hard is it to pick up after your self in the forest!!
techrtr
Übergod

Post by techrtr »

It's a real drag that the government doesn't try to do more about his. So hypocritical that they tout this "Beautiful British Columbia" image yet anyone knows if you go a very short distance back into the bush, you find all sorts of garbage strewn all over the place.

Catch someone and slap them with a $5000 fine. That will get the word out pretty quickly. None of this $175 or "don't do it again or else" stuff.
okanaganforesttaskforce

WalterWhite wrote:Thinking a bit more about this, maybe considering more of a corporate donation/sponsorship program? Kudos again to those businesses that have already stepped up big time, but more is needed. Maybe something along the lines of the "adopt a road" program already in existence. Would be great if some of the areas larger businesses and corporations got behind this. The real problem however shouldn't be funding the clean up - it should be creating better, more effective deterrents to those dumping illegally in the first place. The problem needs to be eliminated. More trail cams? Enforcement and consequences are really what needs to ultimately be increased - unfortunately that's also going to be the most difficult to change, besides some people's behavior.

Thank you WalterWhite for bringing this up. We are working on a program for larger companies to donate or support us. We are also working on more cams for the forest as well. We are also working on having a few laws changed as the ones we have are clearly not working.
okanaganforesttaskforce

Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

Bring on the shame.

Names, pics of vehicles, etc..
I'm all for this approach.
No other approach is working.
Public shaming works.

I support the idea of a donation page to fund our Wilderness Warriors.
I also want to extend a thank you once again for their outstanding community work and the beautification they bring back to these areas.

Thanks very much. I love our forests, and appreciate all you do to keep things beautiful.

To the OFTF:

Hip Hip Hooray!
Hip Hip Hooray!
Hip Hip Hooray!
:130:
okanaganforesttaskforce

Graham Adder wrote:Bring on the shame.

Names, pics of vehicles, etc..
I'm all for this approach.
No other approach is working.
Public shaming works.

I support the idea of a donation page to fund our Wilderness Warriors.
I also want to extend a thank you once again for their outstanding community work and the beautification they bring back to these areas.

Thanks very much. I love our forests, and appreciate all you do to keep things beautiful.

To the OFTF:

Hip Hip Hooray!
Hip Hip Hooray!
Hip Hip Hooray!
:130:

The public shaming will be from security cam footage.
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

okanaganforesttaskforce wrote:The public shaming will be from security cam footage.

Do you have an email list to keep people informed?
I'd like to get on that lost if there is one.
I'd like the info as soon as it's released.
okanaganforesttaskforce

Our contact info is [email protected] please contact us through that.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Thank you to any in the community who do have our back . If you support the oftf. Get out to a clean up . Get our stickers on your bumper . Spread the word . If you are a business with an eye to make things cleaner . Get in touch with Kane. He is the man . Please continue to support us and thank you for the support we do receive. Kane hasn't said it . But I will . ABC recycle is a huge supporter . They do a lot of the cleanup regarding metals . Support them . Rona recently donate some supplies takes and garbage bags etc . Would be nice to get a gun shop on board
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
okanaganforesttaskforce

Thank you Jflem. Also for any one wanting to meet some of us or talk in person we will have a booth set up at the fathers day car show downtown kelowna. ABC Recycling and oftf will be sharing a booth. There will be a big bin truck and us so come say hi.
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

Kane - you are one in a million and your volunteers are amazing people. Thanks for all you do. It takes someone exceptional to start what you started.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Bring on the shame.

Agreed .... Bring it on .
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .

Return to “Central Okanagan”