Okanagan Forest Task Force - funding

Jflem1983
Guru

Re: Okanagan Forest Task Force - funding

Post by Jflem1983 »

Oftf grew out of public goodwill . As an organization we will survive without any funding . The hours spent cleaning up are roughly equal to the hours Kane spends planning . As this grows it covers a larger and larger area . Originally it started with a photo I took up Gillard. Then when Kelly Hayes wanted some pics for global I took him to little Iraq. We did a clean up of postil at the shooting range. That launched oftf . Every thing since has been Kane working with Rae Stewart at the waste reduction office . Kane brought in ABC recycle . They do a ton of work for oftf. Kane got us non profit status after I suggested it . The work that Kane has done is immense . I was not the person to be on tv with this . My views are too strong and I wear it on my sleeve . Please any of you who support us . Come out for a clean up . That is the best way to help us rite now . Unless you got deep 0ockets and you wanna write a check.
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

Looks like castanet is just a little behind on this one

-vehicle has been there like 2 years
-news tip sent to castanet 2 years ago
-it's on private property
-it's a Ford Explorer
-OFTF knows about it, but it's on private property

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#199431
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

tsayta wrote:Looks like castanet is just a little behind on this one

-it's a Ford Explorer

Private property can be a tricky thing . Also with vehicles . Access is often a major issue . Can't get in or out without a road
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Farmmaa »

tsayta wrote:Looks like castanet is just a little behind on this one

-it's a Ford Explorer

Yeah, it's been there for about four years now. On it's roof and stripped for two.
It's been reported many time - but apparently the developer who owns the flats now doesn't much care about it.

The apple crate's been there for over a year as well.
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

Perhaps it's an inland reef
lol
Not unlike the garbage our gov't allows to be sunk off our coasts, in the name of replicating natural reefs.
A place of rusty metallic beauty to flourish with new life and develop a burgeoning ecosystem.
I can see plants flowering in the underbody indentations of the subfloor. Eventually trees that offer nesting for birds will grow up through the rusted metal littered with shotgun blasts and bullet holes.
Shelter for snakes and plenty of places for spiders and other insects to call home.
Inland reefs.
The next thing in outdoor gardening.
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

Graham Adder wrote:Perhaps it's an inland reef
lol
Not unlike the garbage our gov't allows to be sunk off our coasts, in the name of replicating natural reefs.
A place of rusty metallic beauty to flourish with new life and develop a burgeoning ecosystem.
I can see plants flowering in the underbody indentations of the subfloor. Eventually trees that offer nesting for birds will grow up through the rusted metal littered with shotgun blasts and bullet holes.
Shelter for snakes and plenty of places for spiders and other insects to call home.
Inland reefs.
The next thing in outdoor gardening.

The problem with this one is the leaching gas and oil that are clearly visible coming from it. This is an infamous spot of quick sand where many a stolen vehicle has been abandoned. This spot feeds intobcreeks
WW
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

tsayta wrote:The problem with this one is the leaching gas and oil that are clearly visible coming from it. This is an infamous spot of quick sand where many a stolen vehicle has been abandoned. This spot feeds intobcreeks

I see that it's in a drainage area. That's lame and it sucks.
Too bad the land owner wouldn't show more concern for their property.
Not the best way to introduce yourself to a community.
Not that it will matter. People will still pay top dollar to live on that land in time.

Unfortunately, there aren't any "good" places to dump this kind of thing, as most anywhere is prone to runoff water heading downhill.
If it doesn't make it to a lake, then where does it go?
Into the ground...water.
All a part of our highly abused water system that is shared with EVERYONE IN THE WORLD.
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

X100
WW
okanaganforesttaskforce

Post by okanaganforesttaskforce »

We are fully aware of the vehicle and all the garbage in that area. There is a ford explorer on its roof and parts of it all over the place, an apple bin, 1 large tractor tire, a couple other tires along with garbage.

This are is called Thompson flats. The reason it is called "Thompson" flats is because Steve Thompson's family used to own it. They sold it a long time ago to people out of town.

We have talked to Steve and he is working on getting in touch with them and getting us the key to the gate that go's in there to clean it up.
How hard is it to pick up after your self in the forest!!

Return to “Central Okanagan”