Honest, I tried to Shoo it Away

Graham Adder
Guru

Re: Honest, I tried to Shoo it Away

Post by Graham Adder »

I don't need to have been there.
Had I been there, it might not be a bear we are reading about.
I have to be honest, I know this isn't the ethically correct thing to do in response to this atrocity, but if I knew who this :cuss: -face was, I'd really REALLY want to give him a solid punch to the throat.
This scum-wad needs to be shamed by his community.
There is no room for this kind of abuse in our society.
People with such a lack of scruples need to be recognized for their potential.
If he's capable of this, what else has he done to wildlife and what else is he capable of doing to other people?

To be clear, I am not threatening this :cuss: -face piece of junk moron. I'm just stating what I fantasize about when stories like this surface.
MooCow

Post by MooCow »

What a moron and what a crock of excrement.

I shot it in self defence? BS

Scenario #1 you ran back into the house, grabbed a bow and arrow came back out and killed the bear.

Scenario #2 you already had the bow and arrow in the yard and were just waiting to kill a bear.

Either way you are full of it. If you have time to go back into the house, stay there. If you had the bow with you, well no need to explain that. Charge him to the full extent of the law and take away all hunting privileges. Unbelievable - literally!

Nice, a dead momma bear and now almost certainly a dead cub.

Wave101 - you need to move into the center of a big city and stay away from nature. Bears are not these big bad dangerous animals. Treat them with some respect.

Once again, I am disgusted to be part of the human race.
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

MooCow wrote: I am disgusted to be part of the human race.

I see a bear, eagle, coyowolf, or deer, and I'm in awe of nature.

I see a human and I'm in despair at what we've become as a species.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

I tried to shoo away a large raccoon last summer and all it did was stare at me. I took the hose and sprayed water at him and all he did was take a bath. lol. This is the same fella I believe who climbs the small brick fence, jumps on to the yard waste bin, and from there opens the garbage bin to look for food. I now have had to separate my bins a lot more. Just when I was beginning to warm up to the idea of raccoon pets in the backyard, I think the recent flooding may have moved their home.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I wonder if the guy says he was gardening, what was enticing the bear into his backyard? Fruit, bird feeders, garbage, compost? There have been so many warnings about how not to attract bears and it's still surprising how many have bird feeders out.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Leifer
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Leifer »

Although I am totally against killing an animal just for the hell of it....we should set aside the torch's and pitchforks until the entire story is known.
The shooting may have been totally lawful and necessary in order to remove a problem bear. The home owner may have wounded the bear and needed to finish it off with shots to the back as it tried to flee (while wounded).

The CO was on site and will be better able *bleep* wether charges are to be laid.

I know all about "they were here first" and "we are living in their territory"...but the fact is that we are here....and we will continue to be here for the foreseeable future.
Two essential strategies for success.

1) Never reveal all you know
2)
Not PC

Post by Not PC »

Wave101 wrote:You can not live your life making up your own fake news people. You were not there. You do not know what actually happened.

The lady who reported the story was not there to see what was happening. She does not know what actually happened.

It is time for people to start thinking and stop jumping to conclusions.

Bears are dangerous creatures and we have the right to defend ourselves against them.

:130:

Very true. All the snowflakes cry that it's a tragedy, until it's them, and then it flips 180.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Wave101 wrote:You can not live your life making up your own fake news people. You were not there. You do not know what actually happened.

The lady who reported the story was not there to see what was happening. She does not know what actually happened.

Bears are dangerous creatures and we have the right to defend ourselves against them.

Oh get a grip.

A lot of us live in interface areas. I have a bear that roams around the land regularly. We have an arrangement, I leave him alone and he leaves me alone. Same with the deer, coyotes, and raccoons. I'm living in their home not the other way around.

One doesn't need to have been there to see the holes in this story.

For one who works in their yard with a bow and arrow laying beside them?

Second if he had time to go into the house, get the bow and come back out to kill the bear, why didn't he simply stay in the house?

If the bear was a threat, why did it wind up with an arrow in the back? Was it charging the guy with its butt?

This guy is a moron and I hope the conservation guy doles out what he deserves.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Not PC wrote:Very true. All the snowflakes cry that it's a tragedy, until it's them, and then it flips 180.
As Old Techie stated, so many live in interface areas and are used to wildlife passing through. Did you stop and think the lady who reported the story actually could see what was happening (being neighbours)? Black bears are not notoriously dangerous animals and too many people have had close encounters without a scratch including me but I do respect them. Wish we could get an update.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

Not PC wrote:

Very true. All the snowflakes cry that it's a tragedy, until it's them, and then it flips 180.

Snowflakes aren't killing bears in their yard with a bow and arrows.

Wave - the right to defend ourselves?? You've been watching too much tv. Btw - the story indicates the bear was shot in the back. Doesn't take a CSI junkie to consider just exactly who the aggressor was. Regardless, I'll wait until the CO's release their report on the incident - and hopefully their presser will include the charges this ass-hat will face. Further to add - posters comments are not "fake news" - way past being sick and tired of hearing that rolled out as if it actually had merit. It's called having an opinion, which is what these threads and forums are all about. Actually - you've stated your own "fake news" as you like to call it by stating the woman wasn't there - now who's jumping to conclusions? The woman stated she didn't hear any yelling as claimed by the man - indicating she was in fact present enough to be within earshot.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

All bears are looking for is easy eats, so don't keep easy eats available on your property i.e garbage that has any type of food smell (their sense of smell is incredible).

If you are going to be a complete moron then expect bears around your property (or any wild critters for that fact).
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
phasyluck
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by phasyluck »

Did he call the CO before or after the execution? I used to shoot bows as a hobby, he probably had a good long look and took er down......clown show.
Sure do love Rutland!!
MooCow

Post by MooCow »

Not PC wrote:

You're far more likely to be killed by a crazy neighbour (with a bow and arrow perhaps) than you are to be killed by a bear.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_bear_attacks_in_North_America

Looks like less than 100 in all of North America - ever! Many were interactions with morons (feeding the bear, etc.), the rest are wrong place, wrong time. Quit over reacting and try to appreciate nature. You are, after all, part of it. Would like to see the reverse stats - how many bears were killed by dumb-ass humans.

If you're afraid of nature, then you shouldn't live in an interface area. If you're someone who just gets his kicks out of killing animals for the hell of it, well......what can I say - you know what you are. If you have time to go inside and get your bow, come back out, find the bear, load, aim and shoot it, you were not engaged in self defense - you were out to kill the animal. Congratulations, in this case you killed at least two bears.

Not sure what a 'snowflake' is. I have had dozens of encounters with bears, some were even a bit heart stopping. The bear is usually just as afraid of you as you are of it. Respect the bears and know when you are in bear country.

Return to “Central Okanagan”