Bi-weekly garbage collection

leslieeaton

Bi-weekly garbage collection

Post by leslieeaton »

Who is the idiot that thought this one up? Maybe checking with the driver's to find out how full the bins are each week would help. It has been proven in the past excess garbage would start showing up where it shouldn't and I don't want to have to buy a freezer to store rotten garbage in until the bi-weekly pick up. Just saying....
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: Bi-weekly garbage collection

Post by Bsuds »

I'm not sure what your complaint is? garbage is picked up weekly and yard waste/recycling is every other week.

Are you wanting to store cardboard or cut grass in your freezer until pick up?
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
leslieeaton

Post by leslieeaton »

Bsuds wrote:I'm not sure what your complaint is? garbage is picked up weekly and yard waste/recycling is every other week.

Are you wanting to store cardboard or cut grass in your freezer until pick up?

If you would read the Castanet news you would see that the environment services are suggesting we switch to bi-weekly collection. This means every two weeks....I suppose you think your cardboard and grass comment is clever.
Last edited by leslieeaton on Jun 16th, 2017, 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
mikest2
Lord of the Board

Post by mikest2 »

If you were not confused enough.................

Definition of biweekly
: occurring twice a week
: occurring every two weeks :
Once I thought I was wrong.....but I was mistaken...
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Helps to provide a link:
The proposal was brought before council this week by Peter Rotheisler, environment services manager with the regional district, which runs the program.

The most contentious issue was bi-weekly garbage collection.

Coun. Duane Ophus refereed to it as a dumb idea, while Coun. Rick de Jong asked it be taken off the list, stating he doesn't want it and won't support it "very loudly."

https://www.castanet.net/news/West-Kelo ... -shot-down

In this case - garbage pick up every two weeks.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

leslieeaton wrote:Who is the idiot that thought this one up? ..

Before calling people names, check out the different cities that already have garbage pick up every two weeks.
Raven1
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Raven1 »

Nobody would be able to deny the rat problem .
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

No one has denied the rat problem. Eliminate the food sources and look after the garbage properly.
chetgunderson

Post by chetgunderson »

Fancy wrote:Helps to provide a link:
The proposal was brought before council this week by Peter Rotheisler, environment services manager with the regional district, which runs the program.

The most contentious issue was bi-weekly garbage collection.

Coun. Duane Ophus refereed to it as a dumb idea, while Coun. Rick de Jong asked it be taken off the list, stating he doesn't want it and won't support it "very loudly."

https://www.castanet.net/news/West-Kelo ... -shot-down

In this case - garbage pick up every two weeks.

I hope Peter Rotheisler had a detailed plan (please share it if you know it). The article either omitted his plans or there was a large oversight in reporting. Suggesting that a move to bi-weekly garbage collection without any other wholesale systemic changes is ridiculous. The reason why Burnaby, Coquitlam, New Westminister and MANY other communities made the move to bi-weekly garbage collection is because of the 'other' things the municipality does such as Kitchen/compost waste collections, huge PR & grass roots efforts to not throw everything in a landfill & recycle anything and everything (especially plastics). I lived in these communities and while I was reluctant at first, the change was quick, empowering and I felt like my family could make a difference. In a few months, we barely had a half a small garbage can full in the two week window, while our recycling and kitchen wastes were always full. Oh and guess what, we didn't have infestations of rats and mice, I think this is an attempt at a roadblock and is propaganda for the ignorant, or lazy and/or 'reluctant/stubborn to change' individuals in this city. In addition, we had huge populations of black bears, which did caused issues here and there, but most of this was due to home owners putting their waste out the night before. Which then turned into large fines for individuals (which addressed 90% of the issues)

I think Coun. Rick de Jong & Duane Ophus comments and stance on this subject are illogical. I just don't know if the blame sits on Peter Rotheisler's lack of vision and plan was the cause or if ignorance, stubbornness, and outdated thinking of the council is the cause.

Return to “Central Okanagan”