Memorial Parkade

WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Memorial Parkade

Post by WalterWhite »

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/2 ... th-parkade

I get the idea, and actually if done properly could have been an acceptable design element. Unfortunately those responsible for this design never heard the phrase "less is more". Intermittent panels or sections would better represent its purpose which is to be a contributing factor to the overall visual design. This just turned a relatively contemporary look into Stalag 17. Does anyone in the city administration actually have any formal training in architectural design? It would appear not. I'm really curious just exactly what uber city planner Ryan Smith means by $1.2 M seems high. High as in he didn't think it should have cost that much or, that's higher than it actually cost.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Re: Memorial Parkade

Post by gman313 »

i'm not fussed either way but did they make budget or go over? its just a parkade
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Wondering which buildings/area on this donated land, truly follows the spirit of the Simpson Covenant.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

It looks hideous.

How to uglify our downtown even more. Add wire mesh. In five years time it will look like something from Chernobyl.

Shakes head.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
fz6adventure
Board Meister

Post by fz6adventure »

Seems about proper to make it look like a prison considering the City fathers, in their all knowing wisdom, have signs up all around the parkade stating "PRIVATE PROPERTY" ...... the better to use the Trespass Act in the words of the all powerful Basran!
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

I wonder how long it'll take for someone to use the fencing as a climbing wall.
marooned
Board Meister

Post by marooned »

Or, the future....
Attachments
padlock fence.JPG
Leifer
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Leifer »

I gave it a couple of days to see if it would grow on me.
No dice.
I think the intent was good (break up the facade with some color and texture).
It's the material used that doesn't work IMO.

Some kind of screens made up of slats would have looked much better.
Just my opinion of course.
Two essential strategies for success.

1) Never reveal all you know
2)
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

Frisk wrote:I wonder how long it'll take for someone to use the fencing as a climbing wall.

Hahaha! Great point - never even noticed the actual size of the mesh openings. Looks perfect as foot and hand holds. So much for following their own development guidelines.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:Wondering which buildings/area on this donated land, truly follows the spirit of the Simpson Covenant.

As I see it 2 areas actual captures the spirit of the donated land
1) Kasugai Gardens
2) Stuart Park
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Not PC

Post by Not PC »

The 'Gulag' has arrived in Kelowna. Really?

But yea, let's beautify? a concrete parkade. Then, they can add another $1.50 an hour to the cost, to pay for something no other sane person even thought about!
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder, because to me that looks more like a prison than a parkade.

They should plant a bunch of Virginia Creepers at the base now, and in a few years at least the place will be green, and the birds will love it. [icon_lol2.gif]
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

Old Techie wrote:I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder, because to me that looks more like a prison than a parkade.

They should plant a bunch of Virginia Creepers at the base now, and in a few years at least the place will be green, and the birds will love it. [icon_lol2.gif]

I agree - that would look like a substantial improvement over the original idea. Of course it's possible then, due to lack of maintenance prevented by the concealment of the vines the structure will deteriorate at an accelerated pace and essentially cost substantially more with replacement in advance of its typical expected service life. :)

Return to “Central Okanagan”