Air BNB Problem

How To Deal With An Illegal Flop House Or So Called Air BNB

Poll ended at Aug 25th, 2017, 9:46 pm

Try to ignore the problem and let them do what ever they want at my expense
No votes
Create noise and mayhem with assorted household noise making machines as payback from 7am to 10pm
14%
Call bylaw and go by the book
86%

Total votes: 7

n2ktown

Re: Air BNB Problem

Post by n2ktown »

lightspeed wrote:
They're not. Society would just be better off with less of both categories.

Society would be better off if everyone allowed each other to do what they want without others who don't agree, making a big problem out of it. As long as everyone is following the laws, you have to respect everyone's choices... that is what society is.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

n2ktown wrote:
lightspeed wrote:

Society would be better off if everyone allowed each other to do what they want without others who don't agree, making a big problem out of it. As long as everyone is following the laws, you have to respect everyone's choices... that is what society is.

That's the whole point, turning a residential single family home, in a neighborhood zoned as such, into a hotel, is NOT following the laws.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

^^^ Bingo ^^^

ETA: A single Family Residential "should" be, just that.

When one researches, weighs options, and truly makes an informed decision.
Knowing the Official Community Plan, and area zoning, who owns, who rents.
Only then, purchases their home forever.
Then;
People need to sell and move, age, health, career....whatever.
Next thing you know, one ends up surrounded by a few people that bought but, cannot afford
to pay without help through whatever means they can dream up, AirBnB being but one.
Those that can afford, but are non-resident, and buy two or three or more, all rentals,
daily, weekly, monthly.

And, on top if it all now comes the barrage of Development and zoning applications
from these same properties.

Now what does one have surrounding their forever home in their nice little non-through
traffic neighbourhood ?

There is only so much fight before you turn your nice, open and inviting home where
people are welcome.

To a completely secure, fenced, gated and monitored compound.

Not exactly what one bought into.

Might as well have bought the first $hithole that came along if that's what everywhere is going
to end up anyways.
Last edited by dirtybiker on Jul 23rd, 2017, 10:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

n2ktown wrote:
lightspeed wrote:

Progressive society challenges stupid laws, idiotic standards, foolish regulations, and demands change.

We (the public) are not the fools that big business, council, politicians and other dark forces think we are.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Treblehook »

Neighbours where there is an AirB&B ought to get together and make sure that the people who rent get no sleep and have a really terrible stay. That way, that AirB&B gets really terrible reviews and maybe they give up.
forum
Guru

Post by forum »

Canadians can barely afford to run their home, they have resorted to AirBnB because they are only wealthy on paper.

Too many Canadians are reaching retirement age and realizing they don't have enough cash to make it through retirement.
Bnoel
Fledgling

Post by Bnoel »

AirBnB is going to make properties so cheap. Very few make money. Most are bankrolled by the landlord. Airbnb will prove to be the Nortel of Real-estate.
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Treblehook wrote:Neighbours where there is an AirB&B ought to get together and make sure that the people who rent get no sleep and have a really terrible stay. That way, that AirB&B gets really terrible reviews and maybe they give up.

lawnmowers are allowed at 7 am until 9 pm I believe, in Summerland anyway. Gas weed whacker right after.....how about the epitome of noise makers...the leaf blower....

Personally I don't have an issue with a B&B or Air B&B if it is in a residence where the owners are upstairs... The house being rented on a short term basis are wrong in a residential area....
I am not wealthy but I am rich
EZGuy

Post by EZGuy »

n2ktown wrote:
lightspeed wrote:

n2ktown - that's not society you espouse that's anarchy!

There is no single family or two family residential zone in the Okanagan that allows airBNB "owners" to rent out an entire dwelling for a period of less that 1 month. All legal BNB's require the rental to be within the primary dwelling with the property owners in attendance. Even multi family residential zones require a minimum rental period of 1 month so no to airBNB in the neighbours condo. There are some zones which are specifically tailored to allow both short term and longer term rentals but they are few and far between.

So no matter how the neighbour spins the rental or how good airBNB BS's council's and city staff get bylaw enforcement involved. Otherwise enjoy anarchism...
reidabix

Post by reidabix »

I see the city of K-Town is running a poll on the Air BNB scam. :smt045

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/2 ... b-in-Ktown
Last edited by ferri on Nov 8th, 2017, 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Link added
BARRIEM5

Post by BARRIEM5 »

I'm an AirBNB host and have been for this last summer season. I feel for those who live next to AirBNB rentals where the owners are not ensuring that their guests do not cause problems for their neighbours ! We have strict restrictions on who we rent to, how many and the ages of the renters and have had no problems what so ever ! We live on the property and are never away when we have renters which ensures that there are no issues.

We have strict "quiet times" and all our renters have been extremely respectful of both our rental and our neighbours. I've asked our summer guests why they've chosen to stay with us instead of a hotel or motel and they've all said that summer hotel rates were approaching $250 per night ! I charge $95 per night and it's allowed them to stay longer and enjoy what Kelowna offers ! Some guests have come from as far away as New Zealand and stayed for 8 days ! This would have been impossible if they'd had to stay in a hotel !

My suggestion for problem noise is to call the police....no different than what you'd do for a repeat problem with a full time neighbour. The police will respond !
Most AirBNB rentals are not a problem and fill a need .....like most things, there are always some who spoil it for others !
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I'd like to add, a hotel or motel can be extremely noisy just from guests who give no thought as to what their actions do to others. I personally am not against Air BNBs which are run well, like yours. I am against the non-on-site landlord who hasn't got a grip on a situation.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

Directed to this thread by OP from another thread.

Only read the first few pages, but OP makes a lot of wild assumptions and inaccurate statements. Like “his rights being infringed on”. Sorry no rights are being infringed on. You have no more right to not have to listen to kids having fun in a pool than I have a right to not be woken up by a lawnmower at 7 on a Saturday.

You live in a city, in a community with people, and you need to accept the noise that comes with people. If you can’t handle your neighbourhood, you are welcome to leave. Find a gated or retirement community, move out into the boonies.

Provided that the neighbours are abiding by laws and time of day noise restrictions, your complaints amount to nothing but whining and intolerance.

Fact is, OPs problem is not an Airbnb problem. It is a stuck up neighbour problem. A person who has to whine on the forums because children are out playing! In a residential neighbourhood! Children...by gods. Can’t their parents just lock them up like that US family so that OP doesn’t have to hear children’s laughter.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
reidabix

Post by reidabix »

Omnitheo wrote:Directed to this thread by OP from another thread.

Only read the first few pages, but OP makes a lot of wild assumptions and inaccurate statements. Like “his rights being infringed on”. Sorry no rights are being infringed on. You have no more right to not have to listen to kids having fun in a pool than I have a right to not be woken up by a lawnmower at 7 on a Saturday.

You live in a city, in a community with people, and you need to accept the noise that comes with people. If you can’t handle your neighbourhood, you are welcome to leave. Find a gated or retirement community, move out into the boonies.

Provided that the neighbours are abiding by laws and time of day noise restrictions, your complaints amount to nothing but whining and intolerance.

Fact is, OPs problem is not an Airbnb problem. It is a stuck up neighbour problem. A person who has to whine on the forums because children are out playing! In a residential neighbourhood! Children...by gods. Can’t their parents just lock them up like that US family so that OP doesn’t have to hear children’s laughter.

If what they are doing is against the law, they are infringing on my rights as a home owner, taxpayer, citizen of Canada.
https://www.kelowna.ca/our-community/pl ... rm-rentals
We will see if this changes this year. For now it is illegal. Read the rest of the forum, opinions are great and as you can see in the poll the people who voted agreed it is a problem, and how to deal with it.
I only mentioned the one flop directly next door, there are another 7 flops running in my neighbourhood, some of which are just party houses. My neighbourhood is not very big, and the traffic and the mayhem that happens here in the summer because of AIRBNB is a problem. What I am hearing from pro AIRBNB people is that it is either profitable for the hosts and and the guest gets to holiday on the cheap, regardless of the consequences on the surrounding neighbourhood. This really sounds selfish to me, but hey look in the age we live in. A sign of the times.... Kind of like this https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/loca ... 28041.html or this https://globalnews.ca/news/3843222/onta ... ute-drugs/ or this http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/a ... -1.3065243 You just never know who is staying next door..... :200:
The old saying goes "One bad apple ruins the whole bunch"
Steve-O
Übergod

Post by Steve-O »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Feb 20th, 2018, 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off Topic

Return to “Central Okanagan”