Air BNB Problem

How To Deal With An Illegal Flop House Or So Called Air BNB

Poll ended at Aug 25th, 2017, 9:46 pm

Try to ignore the problem and let them do what ever they want at my expense
No votes
Create noise and mayhem with assorted household noise making machines as payback from 7am to 10pm
14%
Call bylaw and go by the book
86%

Total votes: 7

slootman
Übergod

Re: Air BNB Problem

Post by slootman »

Ha. Add the city to that list too.

"You could be collecting more taxes" and watch how fast they scramble. [icon_lol2.gif]
tw1nm3t3or

Post by tw1nm3t3or »

AirBnB has destroyed Kelowna's rental market. Forget following bylaws like Penticton send them off and away from this already suffering city. Getting really sick of having to struggle to find a decent, reasonable rental without having a "1 month rental" BS. Highest jobless rate, highest crime rate (or 2nd whatever), huge issue with homeless we can't afford to have AirBnB here. Look at that mother that was out camping with her kid due to not finding a rental. Thats AirBnB for taking rentals that WE NEED!!

Show them the door Kelowna, get those morons out of here. Its a constant issue that has to be resolved now!
tw1nm3t3or

Post by tw1nm3t3or »

removed.
Last edited by Triple 6 on Jul 22nd, 2017, 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic comment removed.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

I'm all for Air BnB its great for homeowners. Users have a rating so you know their past, and they're liable for damages done, plus no tenants rights. Its not up to homeowners to provide affordable housing. At the ended of the day they are the ones holding the mortgage to the bank. Do you think the bank cares if a deadbeat loser tenant hasn't paid rent or done thousands in damage that they will not pay for?
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

Gixxer wrote:I'm all for Air BnB its great for homeowners.

Not when they live next door to these irritating noisy nuisances with ignorant scumbag occupants.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

lightspeed wrote:
Not when they live next door to these irritating noisy nuisances with ignorant *bleep* occupants.

How are they any different than some tenants with rights?
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

Gixxer wrote:
lightspeed wrote:
Not when they live next door to these irritating noisy nuisances with ignorant *bleep* occupants.

How are they any different than some tenants with rights?

They're not. Society would just be better off with less of both categories.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

renting out accommodation for less than 30 days is considered a commercial activity and is prohibited in residential zones (except by licensed bed-and-breakfast operators)...

Ten common requirements of STR regulations

Registering and/or obtaining a permit
Inspections
Insurance
Presence of host
Local contact person
Notification of neighbours
Limiting the number of STRs neighbourhood or building
Limiting the type of housing used for STRs
Limiting the number of rental days per year
Paying taxes

Air BnB's should have to follow these guidelines just like licensed bed and breakfast operators...and if Air BnB's are not having any effect on the rental market, then why are so many Cities cracking down on them ??

there are many Air BnB operators who have MANY properties advertised on Air BnB...these are not just a regular Homeowner trying to make ends meet...these are Homeowners who are running Commercial Businesses by passing all the requirements that Hotels and Licensed Bed and Breakfast Operators have to have and blatantly dismissing City Bylaws...
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

I thought that I could approach some condo and home owners with the idea of renting out their places via Airbnb and take a cut of the money. I know a lot of people that do this. They basically manage a bunch of listings and take care of everything and give the owners the money, less their cash. I would do this, if I needed the money. I don't, but it would be a good source of income.

I would also be the one vetting and following up on people who wish to rent. I wouldn't want complaints from neighbours or anyone else. As that would hurt my business. And it would be a business. I would pay taxes and become a property manager I guess.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
sublime
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by sublime »

W105 wrote: there are many Air BnB operators who have MANY properties advertised on Air BnB...these are not just a regular Homeowner trying to make ends meet.

If rentals and occupancy rates are so near and dear to some peoples hearts please tell me why the property investors (multiple vacant units or foreign investors) or the "summer home" (live here 3 months then leave an empty property) residents aren't also major contributors to the problem? Yup lets just blame Airbnb. Those evil evil people that run them. Scum of society I tell ya!

lightspeed wrote: They're not. Society would just be better off with less of both categories.

Society would be better without people who complained so much too. Put that energy into something positive and imagine what the world would be.
The ignore list is a fine function... Reading or responding to fear mafia posts is a waste of time.
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

Vancouver already introduced the vacancy tax on empty homes..(should have been done a long time ago)

I'm curious as to why Air BnB operators find following the same regulations like Hotel and licensed Bed and Breakfast operators have too so offensive ??

what makes Air BnB operators so special ???

you are providing the same service, but not following the same rules..please explain why you shouldn't have too ??
tw1nm3t3or

Post by tw1nm3t3or »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Jul 22nd, 2017, 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Challenging a moderator.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

Hmmm wrote:I thought that I could approach some condo and home owners with the idea of renting out their places via Airbnb and take a cut of the money. I know a lot of people that do this. They basically manage a bunch of listings and take care of everything and give the owners the money, less their cash. I would do this, if I needed the money. I don't, but it would be a good source of income.

I would also be the one vetting and following up on people who wish to rent. I wouldn't want complaints from neighbours or anyone else. As that would hurt my business. And it would be a business. I would pay taxes and become a property manager I guess.

One thing missing, though. You may require a rental property manager license.
You and 71 others Like this post
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

LANDM wrote:
Hmmm wrote:I thought that I could approach some condo and home owners with the idea of renting out their places via Airbnb and take a cut of the money. I know a lot of people that do this. They basically manage a bunch of listings and take care of everything and give the owners the money, less their cash. I would do this, if I needed the money. I don't, but it would be a good source of income.

One thing missing, though. You may require a rental property manager license.

Nope no such thing . There is a course u can take but it's not required . How do I know . I have a business license for doing exactly that . Anyone could do it privately .
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
n2ktown

Post by n2ktown »

tw1nm3t3or wrote:AirBnB has destroyed Kelowna's rental market. Forget following bylaws like Penticton send them off and away from this already suffering city. Getting really sick of having to struggle to find a decent, reasonable rental without having a "1 month rental" BS. Highest jobless rate, highest crime rate (or 2nd whatever), huge issue with homeless we can't afford to have AirBnB here. Look at that mother that was out camping with her kid due to not finding a rental. Thats AirBnB for taking rentals that WE NEED!!

Show them the door Kelowna, get those morons out of here. Its a constant issue that has to be resolved now!

Kelowna had a rental issue long before airbnb came around. Airbnb is not the cause of the rental issue. If you eliminate airbnb, the rental issue will not be fixed.. there's no way you actually believe this. And don't be so ignorant.. not every airbnb host has multiple properties they are renting out as a full time business, that would be a very small percent. It appears you've had a bad experience with Airbnb and are now lumping everyone into the same category which is immature and unrealistic.

Return to “Central Okanagan”