Can you hear me now?

KelownaCrackinCrew
Fledgling

Re: Can you hear me now?

Post by KelownaCrackinCrew »

LOL this post/comments made me realize how old most of the forum users are.. [icon_lol2.gif] :D
monroe
Übergod

Post by monroe »

What_the wrote:... There's one specific and particular thing I notice though. When someone says something, if its out of context with or from left field, my brain cannot register it if in a loud environment. It's like reading a story and the next sentence has no bearing on the previous. Or, how our eyes "see things" in almost complete darkeness. The brain just makes thing's up to fill in the blanks, and when the blanks aren't filled we get confused as to what was said.

And sorry,I don't have any tips for the op.

Interesting. Ive always though of this scenario regarding my father. Hes had hearing aids for few years now. For that reason whenever we have a conversation with him we try to keep the continuity of what we're chatting about, consistent with topic.

That is a good way to describe a scenario where you know someone is hard of hearing becuase the conversation will pivot and that person is compensating by almost assuming what youll say next. I notice this sometimes when the subject suddenly changes in a conversation, my father will keep nodding as if hes following along.

... anyway, offtopic. Sounded interesting as ive never heard anyone describe the siutation before.
" ... Kind of weird but hey, weird is normal on castanet " - LANDM
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

KelownaCrackinCrew wrote:LOL this post/comments made me realize how old most of the forum users are.. [icon_lol2.gif] :D

53, how old are you? And is hearing loss an age thing anyways?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Sonny Taylor
Board Meister

Post by Sonny Taylor »

KelownaCrackinCrew wrote:LOL this post/comments made me realize how old most of the forum users are.. [icon_lol2.gif] :D

Yes... grumpy old complainers; like me at 61. :130:

luckily I can still hear you now.
inquisitive
Fledgling

Post by inquisitive »

So, obviously, you are writng from the innocence of youth? And a bit of disdain, consequently.

I bet you could NEVER guess my age! (But I'm not about to tell you)

BTW - what has age got to do with this topic, other than aging can be an influence on the quality of life via hearing loss? As can be realised in this thread, hearing loss can strike at an early age, sad to say.
Please go back to the topic and give us some of your relevant thoughts on it.
perspicacious
Board Meister

Post by perspicacious »

I'm certainly not 'old' by any means... In my early $0's, but my hearing is terrible. Have always had hearing issues since I was a kid. I can't hear anyone talking if they are walking ahead or behind me, I can't hear if they aren't facing me. Over the years I've developed a method of replaying what someone says in my mind when I can't quite make out the word they are saying. This makes it seem like I'm taking time to respond which is a good thing as I talk way too fast. I also find that in certain scenarios I talk too loudly as I can't hear how loud I'm being. Anyone who knows me knows this but to others it can appear as if I'm slightly rude.
Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Queen K wrote: And is hearing loss an age thing anyways?

My hearing damage is mostly because of very heavy antibiotics when I was in ICU for a Bowel problem that went Septic.
It is not always age related even if I am now a Senior.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
just popping in
Lord of the Board

Post by just popping in »

If of any help in making your decision, hearing aids can be claimed under Medical on your taxes, along with a host of other things I didn't know about. Extensive list:

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/medical/#mdcl_xpns

Return to “Central Okanagan”