Running A/C due to smoke

binky11
Grand Pooh-bah

Running A/C due to smoke

Post by binky11 »

We usually have our central air set at about 73 F during the hot days. Due to the smoke in the air from all these fires, I would like to run it overnight as well due to mom having COPD. Of course the cooler the air gets outside, the less the air runs, and I often have to set it down a couple more degrees. Tonight, the low temp is suppose to be 57 F. I'm not sure how low I can set my AC? I hear about them freezing up? Also, it if I set it at say 68 F, and it's only 57 F outside, will it even come on at all? We are both very sensitive to the heat and without any windows open and no air on, we would be too hot I am sure. Any advice or thoughts? :))
voice of reason
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Running A/C due to smoke

Post by voice of reason »

what is that in Celsius?
binky11
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by binky11 »

57 F = 14 C. I am old school, so had to learn Celsius . But thermostat is set at F. Was just wondering if it's ok for the central air to be set at a temp 14 degrees higher than the temp is outside. Just don't want to keep the windows open with all the smoke, but don't want it to get too warm in the house either. Most people would not use their A/C when it's going to be 14 C overnight. But is it ok to do so?
Whyme2
Übergod

Post by Whyme2 »

Personally I think 68'f is pretty cool but regardless of the temperature outside your a/c is only going to run or not depending on the temperature inside your home.
Set it and forget it! :D
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

If you are running it to filter the air then you don't need to. Just set the fan to on full time. Ours runs at a slower speed while doing this but kicks in to the higher speed when the A/C starts. Not only does it help by moving air around it's also filtering it.
You can also get a portable air filter that looks like a fan. Similar to this and there are less expensive models.

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.airg ... 83244.html
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Sonny Taylor
Board Meister

Post by Sonny Taylor »

Bsuds wrote:If you are running it to filter the air then you don't need to. Just set the fan to on full time. Ours runs at a slower speed while doing this but kicks in to the higher speed when the A/C starts. Not only does it help by moving air around it's also filtering it.

Agree with this. We have central air conditioning / furnace and we run our fan 24/7 year round; whether the system is cooling or heating. We do that to maintain a uniform temperature throughout all the rooms in the house; without warm or cool spots here and there.

This of course also means that the house air is constantly filtered. We are barely able to detect the smokey smell in the house; at the very least when we step outside now, the difference is huge. It stinks outside but it's relatively benign inside.

You shouldn't need to lower the thermostat to the point where you are freezing in the house. Keep the fan running (not necessarily the chiller too), make sure you have a fairly clean air filter, and if your system offers the option of pulling new air in from outside, turn it off for now and just let the house air recycle.
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by youjustcomplain »

As has been suggested. Set your AC to whatever temperature you are comfortable with, but on your thermostat, you should be able to set the fan to ON rather than just AUTO. Leave it on. It doesn't cost much money to run the fan and your vents will constantly be circulating the air around the house, provided your cold air returns are not restricted and your vents are open. All circulated air will be running through your filter which will remove some of the smoke aswell as the dusts in the air.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Another tip, and this is to everyone, clean all your vents, including the bathroom vent on the ceiling.

The culumated dirt, hair and oils will shock you.

Think of how inefficient it all runs when there is material of any sort blocking the flow of air.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Sonny Taylor
Board Meister

Post by Sonny Taylor »

Queen K wrote:{snip} The acculumated dirt, hair and oils will shock you. {snip}

Especially if you have multiple cats like us!

(6 of them; It's challenging sometimes.)
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

With our fan running 24/7 I replace the filter every month.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

we do monthly as well

most systems can run a fan without the ac
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

Bsuds wrote:With our fan running 24/7 I replace the filter every month.

This. Don't spend(waste) money on expensive filters. Buy cheap - replace often.
binky11
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by binky11 »

Hmmmm, not sure about our thermostat running just fan. We have two options, heat and cold, then auto and fan. It's set on auto, but if I put it on fan option, and the other setting is on cool, it will still run the A/C? And another issue is, having moved to Crystal springs mobile home park, ohhhhh the running of the air and furnace is so loud! It's different in a house where you can often not even hear it, but in mobiles the furnace is close and one almost has to yell to have a conversation while it is running, and in the summer it is almost always running! Quite annoying.
We usually have our air set on 73 during the day and turn it off at night about 10:00 pm. As it cools outside the air will change from running almost steady to only coming on maybe once every 30- 60 minutes. So as it cooled to 56 F last night, I did drop the thermostat to 69 degrees, but it did not come on enough to keep me cool. My main concern was it is ok to run your air at 69 degrees when it is 57 degrees outside. I was concerned maybe it wasn't good for the A/C itself.
Thanks for the tips and suggestions. :)
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

This is not for those with central air.

To those who use wall mounted A/C Units, if you don't want smoke sucked indoors then flip to recycle. Since the filter on these units are not going to anything with smoke.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

binky11 wrote:Hmmmm, not sure about our thermostat running just fan. We have two options, heat and cold, then auto and fan. It's set on auto, but if I put it on fan option, and the other setting is on cool, it will still run the A/C?
Fan on option should run fan constantly and a/c should kick on when temp reaches what you have set it for.

My main concern was it is ok to run your air at 69 degrees when it is 57 degrees outside. I was concerned maybe it wasn't good for the A/C itself.

You can set your A/C to whatever you want it will still only kick in if it reaches that temp setting. If it's warmer inside than outside it will still kick in.
If you have a window A/C then it's not going to filter the air as well as a central A/C or at all. Then your best bet is going to be an air purifier similar to the link I posted.

Return to “Central Okanagan”