Loud exhaust clampdown

Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Loud exhaust clampdown

Post by Dizzy1 »

I for one, can really appreciate a nice exhaust system on a car - it doesn't have to be loud, and there are a lot of aftermarket systems out there that can give almost any car a very nice note. Personally, once an exhaust is too loud, it ruins the sound and appreciation for the vehicle.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Fledgling

Post by 7600736 »

One thing I always notice when I travel to the U.S. is how much more compliance there is regarding vehicle roadworthiness. I notice right away that nobody has loud exhausts, every car is new or nearly new, and you just don't see the dangerous wrecks on the road down there that you see up here. Another example of our pathetic law enforcement, perhaps?
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

7600736 wrote:One thing I always notice when I travel to the U.S. is how much more compliance there is regarding vehicle roadworthiness. I notice right away that nobody has loud exhausts, every car is new or nearly new, and you just don't see the dangerous wrecks on the road down there that you see up here. Another example of our pathetic law enforcement, perhaps?

You haven't traveled much there then have you. Try going to some of the poorer neighborhoods.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
johnny24
Board Meister

Post by johnny24 »

7600736 wrote:One thing I always notice when I travel to the U.S. is how much more compliance there is regarding vehicle roadworthiness. I notice right away that nobody has loud exhausts, every car is new or nearly new, and you just don't see the dangerous wrecks on the road down there that you see up here. Another example of our pathetic law enforcement, perhaps?

So you travelled to a country with a crime rate that is 43% higher than ours and these are your observations. Good job detective but stats don't support any of these findings.
Fledgling

Post by 7600736 »

johnny24 wrote:

So you travelled to a country with a crime rate that is 43% higher than ours and these are your observations. Good job detective but stats don't support any of these findings.

It has nothing to do with the crime rate and everything to do with proper enforcement of existing laws. In every U.S. city I've been to (Houston, San Antonio, all over California, Seattle, Portland) the cars people drive are noticably in better condition overall than in Canada, especially in California, where laws are very strict about vehicle emissions and roadworthiness. Although, I will admit that in Maui, it seems vehicle roadworthiness rules are more relaxed. I'll be in L.A. again next month - let me know if you'd like some pix.
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

7600736 wrote:It has nothing to do with the crime rate and everything to do with proper enforcement of existing laws. In every U.S. city I've been to (Houston, San Antonio, all over California, Seattle, Portland) the cars people drive are noticably in better condition overall than in Canada, especially in California, where laws are very strict about vehicle emissions and roadworthiness. Although, I will admit that in Maui, it seems vehicle roadworthiness rules are more relaxed. I'll be in L.A. again next month - let me know if you'd like some pix.

What I have noticed is in Spokane there were a disproportionate number of vehicles with extensive damage driving around.
Cars are cheaper to buy in the USA than in Canada so much cheaper to replace. Also insurance claims might be a little harder to make than in BC or deductibles may be much higher.
Waste not
totoramona
Board Meister

Post by totoramona »

Not sure if you read back a few pages, but there is a clear explanation of the actual legislation regarding muffler systems and noise in BC. It's very specific, not just, "Hey, I think that's too loud! Change it!"
In order to require a muffler to be changed, a decibel reading needs to be taken under controlled circumstances by an inspector and assessed. These facilities basically don't exist, so it becomes any ICBC shop. RCMP can issue a ticket under noise prohibition, but it is just a ticket with no requirement to change the exhaust and the ticket can be challenged just like any speeding ticket. These are our laws as written. It's not a matter of enforcement.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

totoramona wrote:Not sure if you read back a few pages, but there is a clear explanation of the actual legislation regarding muffler systems and noise in BC. It's very specific, not just, "Hey, I think that's too loud! Change it!"
In order to require a muffler to be changed, a decibel reading needs to be taken under controlled circumstances by an inspector and assessed. These facilities basically don't exist, so it becomes any ICBC shop. RCMP can issue a ticket under noise prohibition, but it is just a ticket with no requirement to change the exhaust and the ticket can be challenged just like any speeding ticket. These are our laws as written. It's not a matter of enforcement.

OK lets get a few things straightened out. "...so it becomes an ICBC shop...."

If you are referring to a BC "Designated Inspection Facility" (DIF), that is a facility that is authorized by the BC CVSE (Commercial Vehicle Safety and Enforcement)

Who the CVSE actually "answer to" is confusing they have been under the control of various BC Ministries. At one time, 1998 to 2005, ICBC. (just long enough for ICBC to buy all new vehicle and re-tool them, as I understand).

I think the CVSE is currently under the direction of the Ministry of Transportation.

ICBC is still involved in that once an order is issued, ICBC as the "Motor Vehicle Branch" the entity responsible for registering vehicles, brands the vehicle's registration, which can limit it being licensed and insured.

The DIF program is basically private mechanical shops being authorized to inspect vehicles. There are various reasons for a vehicle to be inspected by a DIF.
    - a vehicle that is imported to BC
    - a commercial vehicle
    - rebuilt vehicles (plus body shop)
    - ubuilt vehicles
    - vehicles for which an owner or operator has been given a notice to have a vehicle inspected at a DIF
If you don't like the DIF system idea (I'm one who doesn't), you can blame the BC Social Credit party (Now called the BC Liberal Party).

Yearly testing of each vehicle registered in Greater Vancouver and Greater Victoria had been implemented and a rollout throughout the province was contemplated. All of a sudden the provincial test stations were closed and testing handed over to the private sector.

There has been many many cases of incompetence and in some cases just plain fraud. DIF's have been known that for a "slight extra fee" mailed test stickers to owners of vehicle that have never been within a hundred miles of the DIF.

I would feel uneasy being required to bring my newly imported vehicle to BC to a DIF, and then, them telling me what must be fixed before I can register it, and "oh by the way if you have us do the work it will cost $XXX.XX"

This is an interesting story from 2013
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.2426135

I don't know if the RCMP have the ability to issue an order to have a suspected improperly equipped vehicle to be inspected at a DIF, but, I know if they can contact a CVSE officer they can and will. The police and the CVSE often work together doing road checks, checking for all sorts of violations at one location.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

Dizzy1 wrote:I for one, can really appreciate a nice exhaust system on a car

same here!

Your bias suits you.
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

7600736 wrote:In every U.S. city I've been to (Houston, San Antonio, all over California, Seattle, Portland) the cars people drive are noticably in better condition overall than in Canada, especially in California, where laws are very strict about vehicle emissions and roadworthiness. Although, I will admit that in Maui, it seems vehicle roadworthiness rules are more relaxed. I'll be in L.A. again next month - let me know if you'd like some pix.

Loud exhaust has nothing to do with vehicle "condition" - you can have a brand-new vehicle with a loud aftermarket exhaust. I question the amount of travelling you've done (I don't doubt you've visited those places - I just question how far out you actually ventured).

There's a lot of vehicles of questionable vintage and "roadworthiness" littering the San Francisco landscape (including down the valley to San Jose / Santa Clara). Houston is known for having varying levels of crazy. I think you'd blow a gasket if you spent any time in Orlando - where hoods and doors are seemingly considered a luxury and non-essential.

Oh - and this is street-legal in California.

Source: http://www.ronpatrickstuff.com/
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
totoramona
Board Meister

Post by totoramona »

my5cents wrote:I don't know if the RCMP have the ability to issue an order to have a suspected improperly equipped vehicle to be inspected at a DIF, but, I know if they can contact a CVSE officer they can and will. The police and the CVSE often work together doing road checks, checking for all sorts of violations at one location.

I was given a citation (no fine) by rcmp to have my exhaust system looked at for possibly being too loud. Rcmp directed me to any shop that does ICBC inspections, such as Canadian tire, Big-O etc. The shop I went to had a decibel meter, but said they had never used it in 10 yrs, and didn't on my car either. They said my car was "pretty loud" but sounded awesome. They suggested I could make a few changes, add another resonator, but made no requirement of such. I went back to the rcmp and the cops conferred with each other and basically ripped up the citation, told me to drive my car more quietly in town, and if they heard me again they would give me a ticket. So that is the law, as written and as enforced in this valley. For perspective, I drive an oldermodel 300 hp German import with a sweet sounding exhaust system.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

totoramona wrote:I was given a citation (no fine) by rcmp to have my exhaust system looked at for possibly being too loud. Rcmp directed me to any shop that does ICBC inspections, such as Canadian tire, Big-O etc. The shop I went to had a decibel meter, but said they had never used it in 10 yrs, and didn't on my car either. They said my car was "pretty loud" but sounded awesome. They suggested I could make a few changes, add another resonator, but made no requirement of such. I went back to the rcmp and the cops conferred with each other and basically ripped up the citation, told me to drive my car more quietly in town, and if they heard me again they would give me a ticket. So that is the law, as written and as enforced in this valley. For perspective, I drive an oldermodel 300 hp German import with a sweet sounding exhaust system.

"ICBC inspections" - Hopefully that was actually a "Designated Inspection Facility".

And there is the reason the DIF program, where private mechanical shops are authorized to conduct (supposedly) in depth inspections on vehicles for the government, should be scrapped.

As soon as you privatize any type of inspection, especially one for which the inspection facility is then allowed to repair the deficit, you then need a team of inspectors to inspect and audit the facilities.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"

Return to “Central Okanagan”