RCMP helicopter searching......

fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: RCMP helicopter searching......

Post by fall »

LTD wrote:in all fairness it makes zero difference if they were sober or falling down drunk as long as the operator was sober she also said they were close enough to shore to swim in, kinda sounds like he may have dove into shallow water or fell out under way either way its tragic

In all fairness and hypothetically speaking of course, I think the difference between being sober or falling down drunk would make a difference to someone falling overboard and going unnoticed.
Waiver... I am not speaking about this particular incident but in general terms.
I am sure the police were able to determine what the case was here.
As far as I am aware drinking on a boat requires a toilet and running water to be able to legally drink on a watercraft.
The operator was negligent in several ways.
Either way, very tragic.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

The fact this is tragic is stating the obvious. What isnt so obvious is how could a boat load of people who didn't see him jump into the water, come up with the story he may have hit his head diving in? I know I'm harping but none of this makes sense to be, like I said, maybe I'm just a suspicious person.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

If you spend time on this lake you know that the area they were in is chest deep for a long ways out which means someone unaware of that diving in could easily break their neck hitting bottom
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

LTD wrote:If you spend time on this lake you know that the area they were in is chest deep for a long ways out which means someone unaware of that diving in could easily break their neck hitting bottom

Absolutely, not going to lie, I jumped off a boat drunk in that same vicinity and nailed my head doing a dive.
Was lucky, just had a scratched up forehead from hitting the bottom. I was stunned when I came up.
Know the lake very well, apparently didn't know my alcohol that day.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Not disputing that people can hit their heads when diving in shallow water, what I am questioning is the leap in logic to think no one would notice him diving in or hear him yelling as they drove away if he had simply slipped in for a pee. I'm thinking like a parent right now and if this had been my son, I would have serious problems with their explanation. It almost sounds as if it were a prank and drove off intentionally but tragically over estimated his ability to swim or he was unable because of being under the influence.

Also, as a parent I would have serious problems with people like myself speculating about it on a FB so perhaps I should just shut up and simply offer my condolences to friends and family.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

I completely get what youre saying I was just pointing out that the area in question is shallow enough to walk in from half a kilometer out give or take
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

Poindexter wrote:Not disputing that people can hit their heads when diving in shallow water, what I am questioning is the leap in logic to think no one would notice him diving in or hear him yelling as they drove away if he had simply slipped in for a pee. I'm thinking like a parent right now and if this had been my son, I would have serious problems with their explanation. It almost sounds as if it were a prank and drove off intentionally but tragically over estimated his ability to swim or he was unable because of being under the influence.

Also, as a parent I would have serious problems with people like myself speculating about it on a FB so perhaps I should just shut up and simply offer my condolences to friends and family.

My read of the FB explanation is that the boat stopped so "someone" could pee and that "someone" was not the missing man. The missing man may have dove in while the boat was stopped and not have been noticed as eyes were on the one getting off to pee.
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.
JBX
Fledgling

Post by JBX »

I think if there is anything we can all take away from this, is if your taking your friends out on a boat, you need to sacrifice your "fun" to ensure everybody else gets home safe. At least that's how I've always looked at it. When I take people out either on my bowrider or the jetboat, it's no longer about me having fun, it's about me creating a safe environment so others can have fun and come home safe.
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
gsc
Board Meister

Post by gsc »

We are removing all the sand bags along the lake and saw it out again today. It was not out for too long but did a couple slow passes.
Fixer 166
Guru

Post by Fixer 166 »

Very sad story here. Please be careful on the water, accidents happen fast and can last forever.
Read this is you are ever around water.
http://mariovittone.com/2010/05/154/
Every Relationship Is Give & Give
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

Closure for this lads family and friends, but sad conclusion to this story that raises more questions than answers.

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#202241
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

Fixer 166 wrote:Very sad story here. Please be careful on the water, accidents happen fast and can last forever.

That should be on a pamphlet handed out and available at beaches, boat launches and marinas.
Wally
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Wally »

Regardless of my opinion of the the circumstances, my heart and sympathies go out to those involved. I have children that age. I Can't imagine the heartbreak dealing with this kind of tragedy.
Going today, hear tommorow
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Fixer 166 wrote:Very sad story here. Please be careful on the water, accidents happen fast and can last forever.

So good to see you back Fixer :130:
And as always, good advice.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Temet Nosce
Board Meister

Post by Temet Nosce »

LTD wrote:If you spend time on this lake you know that the area they were in is chest deep for a long ways out which means someone unaware of that diving in could easily break their neck hitting bottom

LTD was this the area he was found?. I didn't know it was that shallow.....WOW... your post was helpful BTW for my young son and his friends that boat on the lake ....and not from this area...
Last edited by Temet Nosce on Jul 19th, 2017, 10:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Central Okanagan”