Camp fires

whitecandle
Board Meister

Re: Camp fires

Post by whitecandle »

fall wrote:They pay them to rely on them. See if you can find out on their website how much.

Property taxes paid to WFN will be spent on the following:

General government (administration, governance, finance) – $4.5 million
Protective services (fire protection, law enforcement) – $1.9 million
Local services (transit, regional parks, community centres, library – $1.9 million
Financial reserves (capital project and contingency reserves) – $1.8 million
Homeowner grants – $1.7 million
Community development (engineering, planning, public works) – $1.5 million
Recreation and youth programs – $600,000
http://www.wfn.ca/news/2017/03/30/westb ... budget.htm

Protective Services $1,904,664 (14%)
http://www.wfn.ca/property-tax-budget.htm
Last edited by whitecandle on Jul 20th, 2017, 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Remember yesterday. Dream tomorrow. Live like crazy today.
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

zerograv wrote:
Why would WFN "claim" to be anything. their property is as valuable as anyone elses and they don't want to lose it to wildfire. why is that so hard to fathom?

Band members do know what they can do, just like people off reserve. It doesn't stop idiots from doing whatever they want tho :D. You can argue until your red in the face, but in the end there is a campfire (as in cooking - per provincial description) on WFN lands. End of story.

"Knowing" people from DIFFERENT bands mean NOTHING. It's kind of like "i'm not racist becuase i know someone from said and said race." [icon_lol2.gif]

So you don't want to call West Kelownas Fire Chief to ask about the regulations? thought not.

I get what you are saying.
At the end of the day natives on native land are in fact exempt from the provincial fire ban .
WFN may have a policy for band members to follow in order to have their fire (they are still able to have a fire), obviously WFN needs a written ban when they have ten thousand plus non status people leasing their land.
Knowing people from a different band means I know they have fires and do not need to notify anyone.
I am not going to call the WFD chief, I am aware of the regulations and how it goes on WFN.
zerograv
Banned

Post by zerograv »

fall wrote:
At the end of the day natives on native land are in fact exempt from the provincial fire ban .
WFN may have a policy for band members to follow in order to have their fire (they are still able to have a fire), obviously WFN needs a written ban when they have ten thousand plus non status people leasing their land.
Knowing people from a different band means I know they have fires and do not need to notify anyone.
I am not going to call the WFD chief, I am aware of the regulations and how it goes on WFN.

Obviously you don't. There is no such thing as a provincial fire ban, it is done in respect to provincial fire centers. Each fire center is responsible for wildfire management within its boundaries. Multiple people have tried to show you what the regulations are. If you are SO sure you are correct, then it shouldn't be an issue to call Jason or West Kelowna Fire and confirm.
Before giving someone a piece of your mind, make sure that you have enough to spare.
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

zerograv wrote:
fall wrote:

Obviously you don't. Multiple people have tried to show you what the regulations are. If you are SO sure you are correct, then it shouldn't be an issue to call Jason or West Kelowna Fire and confirm.

So what is the regulation, if I am non status I am under the WFN fire ban that they have put in place in coordination with WFD.
If I am WFN status then I need to notify them of my intent to have a fire and when.
If I am a member of another band that does not have a fire ban I am free to have a fire for various reasons.
Get it.
Been there, done it, seen it.
zerograv
Banned

Post by zerograv »

fall wrote:If I am WFN status then I need to notify them of my intent to have a fire and when.
If I am a member of another band that does not have a fire ban I am free to have a fire for various reasons.
Get it.
Been there, done it, seen it.

Most First Nations bands don't have their own governance like WFN, Get it?
Before giving someone a piece of your mind, make sure that you have enough to spare.
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

zerograv wrote:Most First Nations bands don't have their own governance like WFN, Get it?

Got it. I guess that is why they are free to have fires when they like without notifying the band, hey.
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

Anyway, will be interesting to see if trailer row down by the lake has anymore fires.
I used to boat by there frequently and they would always have fires going, even during a fire ban, <<<gasp>>>.
I have not been out that way last year or this year so maybe WFN is cracking down on them and should.
zerograv
Banned

Post by zerograv »

fall wrote:
Got it. I guess that is why they are free to have fires when they like without notifying the band, hey.

Ok you obviously have issue with First Nations, that's apparently obvious, But there is no need to let your ignorance get in the way of the fact that the regulations have been posted on this thread multiple times and you refuse to acknowledge them....these are LAWS with legal ramifications. You have been proven wrong on every point, from campfires to how our system works in regards to fire fighting. End of story.
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

zerograv wrote:Obviously you don't. There is no such thing as a provincial fire ban, it is done in respect to provincial fire centers. Each fire center is responsible for wildfire management within its boundaries. Multiple people have tried to show you what the regulations are. If you are SO sure you are correct, then it shouldn't be an issue to call Jason or West Kelowna Fire and confirm.

Sorry, noticed you edited your post after I replied.
Yes, I am aware that we fall under the Kamloops fire district.
I did call the fire center last night and spoke with a supervisor and a friend who lives on band land (not WFN).
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

zerograv wrote:
Ok you obviously have issue with First Nations, that's apparently obvious, But there is no need to let your ignorance get in the way of the fact that the regulations have been posted on this thread multiple times and you refuse to acknowledge them....these are LAWS with legal ramifications. You have been proven wrong on every point, from campfires to how our system works in regards to fire fighting. End of story.

I have acknowledged them, I have typed them out even, what more do you want lol.
I will even type it again.
WFN has a fire ban. WFN status residents are required to give notice before having a fire with the place and time.
Other bands are not required to notify anyone and may have a fire for ceremonial or cooking purposes.
Last edited by fall on Jul 19th, 2017, 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
zerograv
Banned

Post by zerograv »

fall wrote:
I have acknowledged them, I have typed them out even, what more do you want lol.
I will even type it again.
WFN has a fire ban. WFN status residents are required to give notice when having a fire with the place and time.
Other bands are not required to notify anyone and may have a fire for ceremonial or cooking purposes.

for you to admit you're wrong [icon_lol2.gif]
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

But I knew WFN had a fire ban in place the whole time.
And that natives on native land are exempt from the fire ban.
I DID NOT KNOW that WFN status natives are required to notify the band before having a fire.
Last edited by fall on Jul 19th, 2017, 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
zerograv
Banned

Post by zerograv »

you're wrong. just stop.
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

Does anyone know if there was a fine imposed to the person or persons who had the bonfire near the whiplash cable park the other night that required a response from emergency personnel? There is a zero tolerance in effect.
Zerograv, Did you speak to Jason or the WKFD chief and if so, did they mention anything?
zerograv
Banned

Post by zerograv »

fall wrote:Does anyone know if there was a fine imposed to the person or persons who had the bonfire near the whiplash cable park the other night that required a response from emergency personnel? There is a zero tolerance in effect.
Zerograv, Did you speak to Jason or the WKFD chief and if so, did they mention anything?

Why would there be a response if they are allowed fires? isn't that what you've been arguing about the last 4 pages? That they are allowed and WFN just picks and chooses their laws because "natives" as you say have their own rules?

Jason IS the wkfd chief.

Return to “Central Okanagan”