Okanagan workers earn less

kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Re: Okanagan workers earn less

Post by kgcayenne »

It sounds just that simple doesn't it. I remember when Subway and Tim Hortons were paying $12-15/hr around here because employees could have their pick. They weren't willing to do the job for less. "What happened to that?" One might ask.

T.
F.
W.

That's what happened.

In the name of YOY increases to profits, we have call centres all over the world, often trained by the people they replaced at a pittance.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Osoyoos_Familyof4
Board Meister

Post by Osoyoos_Familyof4 »

^^ yup

I worked for a large Canadian communications company in the Corporate Education department. We ended up training people all over the world to do the jobs Canadians did for a decent living wage.

I called my old company today in fact, Customer Service Rep was in Romania. 10 years ago this was a $20.00+ hour job held by a Canadian in Calgary or Vancouver.
UhHuhYeahSure
Board Meister

Post by UhHuhYeahSure »

The sad truth about Kelowna is that a huge percentage of the population works directly for various levels of government...regional district, city, school district, UBCO, O.C., hospital, cancer center...

A second large percentage survives on providing services directly to those government bodies.

And another large percentage lives on indirect tertiary services that include services related to government employment...dentists, massage and physiotherapists, psychologists...

The rest seem to simply provide services like the scourge of the bloated retail sector here that sells all kinds of crap to those who source their income from somewhere in that government feedlot system.

And the insult to the few of us remaining who ultimately pay the salaries, benefits, vacation time and all the perks associated with this civil grain trough is that private sector employees now make less than government employees, given the same position. Now let's not even go to differences in deadline stress, job performance and security and pensions.

Just a small piece of advice to any smug, over confident, comfortable government type...drop the term "sunshine tax" from your vocabulary when talking to those of us paying your way. Or use it and be ready to exercise your extended health care benefits.
Everything I say to you is a lie. And that's the truth. Except this time.
slootman
Übergod

Post by slootman »

UhHuhYeahSure wrote:The sad truth about Kelowna is that a huge percentage of the population works directly for various levels of government...regional district, city, school district, UBCO, O.C., hospital, cancer center...

A second large percentage survives on providing services directly to those government bodies.

And another large percentage lives on indirect tertiary services that include services related to government employment...dentists, massage and physiotherapists, psychologists...

The rest seem to simply provide services like the scourge of the bloated retail sector here that sells all kinds of crap to those who source their income from somewhere in that government feedlot system.

And the insult to the few of us remaining who ultimately pay the salaries, benefits, vacation time and all the perks associated with this civil grain trough is that private sector employees now make less than government employees, given the same position. Now let's not even go to differences in deadline stress, job performance and security and pensions.

Just a small piece of advice to any smug, over confident, comfortable government type...drop the term "sunshine tax" from your vocabulary when talking to those of us paying your way. Or use it and be ready to exercise your extended health care benefits.

What a ridiculous assertion. There's plenty of other job categories in Kelowna beyond Government and retail. Lol.
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

UhHuhYeahSure wrote:The sad truth about Kelowna is that a huge percentage of the population works directly for various levels of government...regional district, city, school district, UBCO, O.C., hospital, cancer center...

Sounds like it's a pretty smart move getting one of these "government jobs".

Why not try it? Sounds like a good gig.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

kgcayenne wrote:It sounds just that simple doesn't it. I remember when Subway and Tim Hortons were paying $12-15/hr around here because employees could have their pick. They weren't willing to do the job for less. "What happened to that?" One might ask.

T.
F.
W.

That's what happened.

In the name of YOY increases to profits, we have call centres all over the world, often trained by the people they replaced at a pittance.

I happen to agree with you about TFW driving down wages, and thought it well understood by most people all over the political spectrum, but for some reason the Fraser Institute makes the opposite claim.Wow!

P.S. Nice eye.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray

Return to “Central Okanagan”