Kelowna City Park

JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Kelowna City Park

Post by JayByrd »

After taking in the Downtown Kelowna Block Party with some friends and our young children, we went to City Park, and sat on the grass while the kids used the playground. To my right, a woman was nursing her child, out in the open. To my left, a woman with her head covered kneeled on a rug, praying. There were transient persons snoozing in the grass. At the corner of the playground, a family had set up a tiny concession stand, selling pop and chips. They were almost certainly in violation of at least one bylaw by doing this, as I can't imagine they had a permit.

All of these things, causes of contention and division, were happening within steps of each other.

And you know what? The world didn't implode.

Things get downright peaceful when everyone minds their own business.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
johnny24
Board Meister

Re: Kelowna City Park

Post by johnny24 »

JayByrd wrote:After taking in the Downtown Kelowna Block Party with some friends and our young children, we went to City Park, and sat on the grass while the kids used the playground. To my right, a woman was nursing her child, out in the open. To my left, a woman with her head covered kneeled on a rug, praying. There were transient persons snoozing in the grass. At the corner of the playground, a family had set up a tiny concession stand, selling pop and chips. They were almost certainly in violation of at least one bylaw by doing this, as I can't imagine they had a permit.

All of these things, causes of contention and division, were happening within steps of each other.

And you know what? The world didn't implode.

Things get downright peaceful when everyone minds their own business.

Real life is very different than social media.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

it only takes one person to throw a wrench into the gears ..
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
Sonny Taylor
Board Meister

Post by Sonny Taylor »

JayByrd wrote: {snip} There were transient persons snoozing in the grass. {snip}

If the cops see that and they have time to, they'll wake them aggressively and tell them to move on. It happened to me for dozing off there on the beach once and I'm not transient.
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

Sonny Taylor wrote:
JayByrd wrote: {snip} There were transient persons snoozing in the grass. {snip}

If the cops see that and they have time to, they'll wake them aggressively and tell them to move on. It happened to me for dozing off there on the beach once and I'm not transient.

You should dress a bit smarter and have a shave then.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
spooker

Post by spooker »

JayByrd wrote:Things get downright peaceful when everyone minds their own business.

I'd change the "everyone minds their business" to "stops taking things personally" ... community is about being connected to one another, not ignoring them just so they leave you alone ...

My family enjoys City Park a couple of times a week ... after work or for a lunch get-together ... great place to people watch ...
JBX
Fledgling

Post by JBX »

I firmly believe social media is the greatest mistake in the history of humanity. The internet was so much better when it required some intelligence to figure out and use, now every mentally broken moron can spew their *bleep* far and wide.
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
mjc0483

Post by mjc0483 »

It says a lot about these forums that this topic which is a positive one has very few replies and nothing for over a day. Yet the topics giving people a chance to whine and complain are 5-10 pages deep and constantly being responded to.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

mjc0483 wrote:It says a lot about these forums that this topic which is a positive one has very few replies and nothing for over a day. Yet the topics giving people a chance to whine and complain are 5-10 pages deep and constantly being responded to.

That sure sounds like complaining to me.
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
mjc0483

Post by mjc0483 »

ferri wrote:
mjc0483 wrote:It says a lot about these forums that this topic which is a positive one has very few replies and nothing for over a day. Yet the topics giving people a chance to whine and complain are 5-10 pages deep and constantly being responded to.

That sure sounds like complaining to me.

It's called an observation...The threads giving people something to complain about are huge and the positive threads get pushed down with very few replies.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

If you don't like the way we complain, get off the sidewalk !
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
mjc0483

Post by mjc0483 »

60-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:If you don't like the way we complain, get off the sidewalk !

Or maybe you need to get a life if you're proud of the fact that you enjoy sitting on the internet whining all day.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

Hate is the fuel the internet runs on.

On point JayByrd. City park, contrary to what many have put forth as their own personal observations, is not swarming with transient drug addled panhandlers.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

mjc0483 wrote:
60-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:If you don't like the way we complain, get off the sidewalk !

Or maybe you need to get a life if you're proud of the fact that you enjoy sitting on the internet whining all day.

It's called a joke.
dieseluphammerdown
Guru

Post by dieseluphammerdown »

Stick to the topic people :topic:
This message brought to you by a proud old stock Canadian.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Id love to spit some beechnut in that dudes eyes
And shoot him with my old 45

Return to “Central Okanagan”