Downtown Highrise A Go? Lack of FD Resources?

Queller
Board Meister

Re: Downtown Highrise A Go? Lack of FD Resources?

Post by Queller »

Never claimed to be more qualified than City staff, just doubt the wisdom of some of the development decisions that have been made over the years, and some of the spending priorities...Ever wonder why we're one of the few mid-large size cities in North America without some sort of highway bypass, ring road, alternative route, etc? Lack of planning and foresight. Simple as that! It will be very expensive to develop some sort of alternative crossing / city bypass at this stage in Kelowna's development.
dirtguy
Board Meister

Post by dirtguy »

Correct me if i am wrong as its been awhile, i think any building over 5 stories has to be built out of concrete and or steel, this drastically reduces the risk of a catastrophic fire.
Queller
Board Meister

Post by Queller »

The "qualified" City staff, and the FD, and the City administrators also know full well that the FD does not even come close to NFPA response requirements for highrises, and have simply chosen to ignore it. Despite this, the sprinkler systems, standpipe systems, hydrants, fire trucks, etc, will probably all meet NFPA and ULC standards. Just the Fire Dept staffing and response levels won't.
Last edited by Queller on Jul 27th, 2017, 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Queller
Board Meister

Post by Queller »

dirtguy wrote:Correct me if i am wrong as its been awhile, i think any building over 5 stories has to be built out of concrete and or steel, this drastically reduces the risk of a catastrophic fire.

Buildings up to 6 stories are allowed to be wood frame in BC now. Basically a giant stack of lumber protected by drywall and sprinklers, that burns quite ferociously once a fire gets going in one of these buildings.
generalposter
Board Meister

Post by generalposter »

Even Steven wrote:
hutton wrote:you have a VERY WILD imagination!!!! we have had a very useless City Council for many years.........

Between qualified staff at City Hall and old grumpy people on Internet with nothing but opinion...somehow I trust city staff more.

Qualified?

Qualified according to who and to what standard are they qualified?

If you think the City of Kelowna staff , planners and council is comprised of top of the line, efficient, experienced and capable individuals you are sadly mistaken. They are not the best at what they do unless you want to include wasting time and money as part of the job description. The real movers are usually found in private business where they are well rewarded and surrounded by people at their level of abilities. Ongoing waste and poor planning decisions in Kelowna City Hall are beyond what any private corporation would tolerate to remain profitable and their clients safe. This thread is based on a prime example of that.
Someone has to say it.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

Queller wrote:Never claimed to be more qualified than City staff.

Well thank you for admitting this much. And that's exactly why I trust their opinions over yours.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

generalposter wrote: If you think the City of Kelowna staff , planners and council is comprised of top of the line, efficient, experienced and capable individuals you are sadly mistaken.

Well their Castanet critics are by far less experiences, less capable, and less anything than city staff.

Doesn't stop them from constantly criticizing everything, moaning and complaining, but hey, to each their own.
Queller
Board Meister

Post by Queller »

Even Steven wrote:
Queller wrote:Never claimed to be more qualified than City staff.

Well thank you for admitting this much. And that's exactly why I trust their opinions over yours.

Nice partial quote. Why don't you at least include the full sentence in your quote? I see you also edited the original grammar to suit your purposes. Nice try.
Queller
Board Meister

Post by Queller »

Even Steven wrote:
generalposter wrote: If you think the City of Kelowna staff , planners and council is comprised of top of the line, efficient, experienced and capable individuals you are sadly mistaken.

Well their Castanet critics are by far less experiences, less capable, and less anything than city staff.

Doesn't stop them from constantly criticizing everything, moaning and complaining, but hey, to each their own.

If you're not interested in discussing issues of concern in the Central Okanagan, than maybe go elsewhere besides this forum. Nothing wrong with having a critical look at local government decision making.
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

Piecemaker wrote:I like diversity in building design. Interesting architecture adds to a city. Nothing worse than cookie-cutter developments.
As for fire safety, the truck with a ladder isn't anywhere near first in the line of fire defense. Second after fire prevention is building design with elements like sprinkler systems, fire walls, doors and fire resistant materials.

I like diversity in design as well and agree "cookie cutter" can be less than exciting to look at. However, I think there is something to be said for having complimentary design elements in an area and I don't think the Ella is going to compliment the nice, more heritage type buildings like the brownstone tone that they have been trying to set, nor do I think the brownstones and lower height buildings will compliment the Ella in that area. I really think it will look odd and out of place.

For example, The Madison is without a doubt my favourite building design in Kelowna, and I think it is perfectly showcased in that area - I think Ella would fit right in with the Madison - two completely different looking designs but complimentary to each other.
generalposter
Board Meister

Post by generalposter »

Even Steven wrote:Well their Castanet critics are by far less experiences, less capable, and less anything than city staff.

You would present a better argument if you didn't speak for people with no understanding of their knowledge or experience. Such an outlandish blanket statement you have made.

The decisions and processes of the City of Kelowna are publicly known, understood and open for criticism.
Someone has to say it.
Walking Wounded
Übergod

Post by Walking Wounded »

You guys all bitching about city staff. City staff does not approve anything, city council approves developement. Like with the new hi rise city staff proposed some changes, I have no idea what those changes were but council decided to ignore the city staffs recommendations and approve the developement.
Trained city staff do not have the last say on these things, self serving untrained politicians do.
generalposter
Board Meister

Post by generalposter »

Walking Wounded wrote:You guys all bitching about city staff. City staff does not approve anything, city council approves developement. Like with the new hi rise city staff proposed some changes, I have no idea what those changes were but council decided to ignore the city staffs recommendations and approve the developement.
Trained city staff do not have the last say on these things, self serving untrained politicians do.

Doesn't matter much who's at the helm if the steering mechanism is broken.
Someone has to say it.
spooker

Post by spooker »

Had an interesting discussion with a volunteer fire fighter tonight ...

He pointed out that we have buildings taller than this already ... and while the development permit covers the "form & function" of the structure it still requires a building permit which entails having the inspector make certain that it fits standards set out by the NFPA ... fire resistant walls, fireproof stairwells, sprinkler systems etc ...

As for my bringing up the Grenfell Tower fire ... I learned that by having the cladding on that building basically made it a torch that enveloped the building in fire which the went into each dwelling ... this is not something that we'll have to worry about here
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

Walking Wounded wrote:You guys all bitching about city staff. City staff does not approve anything, city council approves developement. Like with the new hi rise city staff proposed some changes, I have no idea what those changes were but council decided to ignore the city staffs recommendations and approve the developement.

It may just be a matter of some of us referring to "city staff" as all-encompassing and not seeing council as different than any other city staff member - after all, they work for us too, or so our voting would have us believe. Each one has their duties to perform in City Hall on our behalf. So, when we are miffed at "city" staff - it can be anyone and/or everyone working for the City - us.

Return to “Central Okanagan”