Castanet's Okanagan Edge

WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Castanet's Okanagan Edge

Post by WalterWhite »

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/2 ... of-growing

I totally understand that in the ever changing market of information sharing, companies such as Castanet try different means to appeal to their clients. I have to say however, stories such as this where part of the story is posted to Castanet news, and at the end of the article readers are prompted to visit another website Castanet's recently new business news portal "Okanagan Edge" to read the rest. I don't know about everyone else, but in my limited experience with creating websites I was always told "keep it simple". Those browsing the web do not like to scroll past the bottom of a page, and seldom will follow links containing additional info. I'm certainly in that group. Thoughts?
generalposter
Board Meister

Re: Castanet's Okanagan Edge

Post by generalposter »

Marketing ploy.

You can only put so many advertisements on one site so let's encourage them to visit two.
Someone has to say it.
voice of reason
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by voice of reason »

why have 2 websites? why not just make this crappy site with simple news and clickbait titles better?
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

It's clearly in place to drive up revenue.

Multiple sites visited means multiple advertisements displayed.
Multiple sites means advertisers must pay more to have their ads shown on both/all of the sites.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

They should update this website engine before starting any other ones. The general look can only be appealing to 60+ year olds. The other Kelowna news website looks much cleaner, and easier to read on mobile.

Have you looked at Castanet on smart phone? Sheesh...
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

TylerM4 wrote:It's clearly in place to drive up revenue.

Multiple sites visited means multiple advertisements displayed.
Multiple sites means advertisers must pay more to have their ads shown on both/all of the sites.

I understand that thought process - my question is whether it's effective. I've yet to follow links to "the rest of the story" on any of these sort of articles and feel others likely do the same.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

Even Steven wrote:They should update this website engine before starting any other ones. The general look can only be appealing to 60+ year olds. The other Kelowna news website looks much cleaner, and easier to read on mobile.

Have you looked at Castanet on smart phone? Sheesh...

I seem to recall there was a substantial overhaul performed not too long ago - maybe within last couple of years I think.
OldIslander
Board Meister

Post by OldIslander »

I'd recommend that anyone unhappy with this, immediately cancel your subscription. That'll show them a thing or two...!

Oh wait... there is no subscription... this is all free.

Assuming that Castanet and it's related companies are not charitable organizations, I have no problem with them doing things like this to generate some income. That will permit me to enjoy these sites, without payment. There is a fine line with the ads; if there are too many and they are too obtrusive, than folks really will quit the sites. But this site and 'Okanagan Edge' feel just fine to me, while moving around in them.
“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.” Ernest Benn
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

I read newspapers daily, I am used to continued on page 8.
No big deal.
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
Not PC

Post by Not PC »

I won't click a link to finish a news story. You've just lost my interest. A *bleep* poor marketing attempt.

The "Okanagan News Leaders"? [icon_lol2.gif]
Sabumnim123

Post by Sabumnim123 »

It could be worse ! Castanet might be peddled like the online version of the New York Times, who aggressively force the reader to read just two paragraphs, then the meter is whipped out and you'll have to pay and pay to see more ?

It's becoming much like t*t and *ss journalism, where the model shows a little flesh, here, a little boob there. If you would like to see more, then, you will have to put some shillings in the coin box.

In any event, a big fail.
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

Ya well just wait till Castanet launches it's new food & cooking sister site called Pastanet. Gonna be gud! :up:
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW
RustyCrayon
Board Meister

Post by RustyCrayon »

I see that Castanet has now incorporated garbage, click bait ads/articles at the top of the comment section of today's poll.
OldBlindDog
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by OldBlindDog »

RustyCrayon wrote:I see that Castanet has now incorporated garbage, click bait ads/articles at the top of the comment section of today's poll.

You need a better ad blocker. I don't see those ads unless I disable my ad blocker. Plus, are you sure it's Castanet inserting those ads? It looks to me like it's the Disqus platform that they use for comments.
Troy
Site Technical Administrator

Post by Troy »

Yes, that is correct. Those ads are coming from the Disqus commenting system. Castanet has not intentionally incorporated them at all.

Return to “Central Okanagan”