Why is my pool water Brown ?

Blazer63

Why is my pool water Brown ?

Post by Blazer63 »

What gives, we all pay double what we used to 7 years ago for water , and I filled my pool and damn water looks like *bleep* water , no it's not algae , I use algeacide , my PH is perfect , my Chlorine levels are slightly high , which is better Han low, and still

*bleep* WATER :-X
stevemic
Fledgling

Re: Why is my pool water Brown ?

Post by stevemic »

Let me guess , Glenmore?
You can say whatever you please,
as long as the Mods agree
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

SEKID water?
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

Tannins. No big deal.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
Graphite
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Graphite »

Yes, where are you located? Rutland water is not brown. Sometimes we have issues when they dona system flush in the spring though. Is this a regular thing in your area? Contact you water provider?
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

Chlorine and algaecide are know to cloud pool water since the algaecides are often metal based. The chlorine reacts with the metals and can turn the water brown.
Chlorine reacting with iron is also another common culprit.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

Which water supplier?
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
littlebratt

Post by littlebratt »

im in glenmore our water stinks!!! but our pool only turned a tinge browny yellow when all the really bad smoke was in the valley, did a backwash and a clean and back to crystal clear:) but we dont drink our tap water it reeks of chlorine:(
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Better hope your right and it isn't brown algae or you've got your work cut out for you. It means getting the pH levels dead on, shocking and then super chlorination, then scrubbing the sides, vacuuming the dead algae off bottom and then repeat because it's very persistent. Basically means your pool will be out of commission for a while. I ended up draining mine, although I wouldn't recommend doing that, and back washing the filter a bunch of times because even dead brown algae has a way of clouding the water, seemed to be able to work it's way through the sand filter and getting back into the pool. Not fun - good luck and invite me over when it's clear again. :130:
Last edited by Poindexter on Jul 31st, 2017, 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
motokelowna1
Übergod

Post by motokelowna1 »

Come on over to the west side no problems here with water ... Ps I use the neighbours pool she keeps it clean . I help lol
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

Are you noticing any build up/film on the pool bottom/sides? It sometimes resembles course sand. Green/brown or brown/yellow could possibly indicate mustard algae. Can be very difficult to remove. Special treatment chemicals and process including changing filters (including sand type filters) and placing all items that have been in contact with pool water must be treated also, such as leaf skimmer poles, vacuum hoses and attachments. After a heavy shock treatment the algae turns a grey/beige color indicating it's dead and can then be vacuumed out by direct discharge and not through the filter system. Talk to your current pool chemical provider or Google has tons of info available.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

Poindexter wrote:Better hope your right and it isn't brown algae or you've got your work cut out for you. It means getting the pH levels dead on, shocking and then super chlorination, then scrubbing the sides, vacuuming the dead algae off bottom and then repeat because it's very persistent. Basically means your pool will be out of commission for a while. I ended up draining mine, although I wouldn't recommend doing that, and back washing the filter a bunch of times because even dead brown algae has a way of clouding the water, seemed to be able to work it's way through the sand filter and getting back into the pool. Not fun - good luck and invite me over when it's clear again. :130:

I should have read all responses first - sounds like what I just described. Very difficult to treat.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

One more reason not to have a pool!
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

Bsuds wrote:One more reason not to have a pool!

Lol - agreed! Way better to use motokelowna's method as noted in their post above :)
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

WalterWhite wrote:I should have read all responses first - sounds like what I just described. Very difficult to treat.

Wish I had read a post like yours before I tried to fix my brown algae problem. I found out the hard way and didn't initially select directly discharge. Couldn't get rid of the stuff which is why I drained the pool and scrubbed the liner with special chemicals. The day I decided to take this on started out cloudy and overcast but half way through the sun came out and shrunk my liner. This meant that when I refilled the pool the liner tore all around the top where it gets tucked in. So I had to buy more liner and glue a strip around the entire length which of course looked like hell and turned out to be a short term fix as it started to come apart within a year.

Needless to say I wish I had known then what I know now and that is, never buy a house with a pool. :up:
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.

Return to “Central Okanagan”