Inn From The Cold Building

whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Re: Inn From The Cold Building

Post by whatwhat »

mjc0483 wrote:Haha, always has to be someone advocating for the addicts. It may be classified as a "disease" but it's not the same as someone leading a regular healthy life getting cancer. Drug addicts choose to do drugs knowing full well how tough the addiction is. Cancer patients do not choose cancer. Drug addicts do not deserve sympathy, especially the ones going around beating people up and stealing so to can fuel their pathetic little fix.

Well drugs addicts don't always choose to get addicted. There are lot's of people who become addicted after being prescribed pain medication, benzos (like xanax and ativan) and/or stimulants (like Adderall and Ritalin) by a doctor. There are also people who become addicted to legal, "socially normal" substances such as alcohol.

As well, no one chooses cancer, there are lot's of different substances (like smoking) that can lead to cancer. People still choose to do those things even though they know they can get cancer because of it.

The entire situation isn't black and white. Addiction, just like other medical issues, is complex and has many different causes that we can't just sweep away like many people want to do.
hail Satan y'all
Loki2u
Board Meister

Post by Loki2u »

mjc0483 wrote:
Loki2u wrote:
Addiction is a disease. Read a medical journal.

Haha, always has to be someone advocating for the addicts. It may be classified as a "disease" but it's not the same as someone leading a regular healthy life getting cancer. Drug addicts choose to do drugs knowing full well how tough the addiction is. Cancer patients do not choose cancer. Drug addicts do not deserve sympathy, especially the ones going around beating people up and stealing so to can fuel their pathetic little fix.

I'm not advocating for the addicts-I'm advocating for helping the addicts. A disease is a disease, you are just attaching a moral stigma to addiction because you believe it is 'wrong' and they chose to be addicted. I work with those who are chemically dependent every day and I haven't met one yet that "chose" to become an addict, same as your 'chose to have cancer' analogy.
Not everyone who experiments with drugs and alcohol becomes addicted. Nor am I saying that drugs and alcohol are wise choices to start, but for some its too late and its extremely difficult to quit once you're dependent which is why places such as this new "Inn From the Cold" exist. And the idea is to help without judgement.

But enough from me, there are hundreds of pages on this subject littered throughout the forum. This subject has been beaten to death. You're just late to the party, and your biased, uninformed and judgemental view points have been discussed already ad nauseum by people whom (no offense) are much better at trolling than you. :biggrin:
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your INFORMED opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant. -Harlan Ellison-
mjc0483

Post by mjc0483 »

whatwhat wrote:ces (like smoking) that can lead to cancer. People still choose to do those things even though they know they can get cancer because of it.

The entire situation isn't black and white. Addiction, just like other medical issues, is complex and has many different causes that we can't just sweep away like many people want to do.

Loki2u wrote:
I'm not advocating for the addicts-I'm advocating for helping the addicts. A disease is a disease, you are just attaching a moral stigma to addiction because you believe it is 'wrong' and they chose to be addicted. I work with those who are chemically dependent every day and I haven't met one yet that "chose" to become an addict, same as your 'chose to have cancer' analogy.
Not everyone who experiments with drugs and alcohol becomes addicted. Nor am I saying that drugs and alcohol are wise choices to start, but for some its too late and its extremely difficult to quit once you're dependent which is why places such as this new "Inn From the Cold" exist. And the idea is to help without judgement.

But enough from me, there are hundreds of pages on this subject littered throughout the forum. This subject has been beaten to death. You're just late to the party, and your biased, uninformed and judgemental view points have been discussed already ad nauseum by people whom (no offense) are much better at trolling than you. :biggrin:

And the victims who get beat up, mugged, raped, killed, what becomes of them? Afterthoughts because the person who did it was "addicted" at the time. And instead of being punished, they are "helped" and given a chance to turn their life around. Victims become after thoughts in today's generation while the bleeding hearts come out and want to help the poor poor criminals who aren't at fault. They're "addicted" or have "mental issues" or a "bad past" ... It doesn't excuse their actions nor should it remove punishment.
Loki2u
Board Meister

Post by Loki2u »

mjc0483 wrote:
And the victims who get beat up, mugged, raped, killed, what becomes of them? Afterthoughts because the person who did it was "addicted" at the time. And instead of being punished, they are "helped" and given a chance to turn their life around. Victims become after thoughts in today's generation while the bleeding hearts come out and want to help the poor poor criminals who aren't at fault. They're "addicted" or have "mental issues" or a "bad past" ... It doesn't excuse their actions nor should it remove punishment.

I never said it should. :130:

I will add though that addiction is a very treatable illness. There are consequences for bad behaviour and actions which I understand and agree with completely, but that punishment can also be intertwined with rehabilitation. Most chemically dependent are not lost causes where one needs to lock them up and throw away the key.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your INFORMED opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant. -Harlan Ellison-
mjc0483

Post by mjc0483 »

Loki2u wrote:
mjc0483 wrote:

I never said it should. :130:

I will add though that addiction is a very treatable illness. There are consequences for bad behaviour and actions which I understand and agree with completely, but that punishment can also be intertwined with rehabilitation. Most chemically dependent are not lost causes where one needs to lock them up and throw away the key.

If their "illness" has them raping and killing people then they deserve worse then being locked up. And most certainly do not deserve help.
featfan
Guru

Post by featfan »

Thank you Sam Kinison.

I called a detox center - just to see how much it would cost: $13,000 for three weeks! My friends, if you can come up with thirteen grand, you don't have a problem yet.
Osoyoos_Familyof4
Board Meister

Post by Osoyoos_Familyof4 »

There are plenty of drug addicts who have money.

There is a remarkable misconception that every drug addict is someone on welfare, or a criminal. Of course, there are plenty of those people, but there are many addicts who are still holding onto their jobs, or who come from family money.

Again, as long as they are able to pay for it, what's your problem?
WeatherWoman
Wicked Witch of the West Coast

Post by WeatherWoman »

mjc0483 wrote:Haha, always has to be someone advocating for the addicts. It may be classified as a "disease" but it's not the same as someone leading a regular healthy life getting cancer. Drug addicts choose to do drugs knowing full well how tough the addiction is. Cancer patients do not choose cancer. Drug addicts do not deserve sympathy, especially the ones going around beating people up and stealing so to can fuel their pathetic little fix.

Oh man do you need some education.

Did you know preventive measures like safe injection sites and housing eases the cost on our medical system. In the long run this saves money. It also provides support to those who are ready to get clean and we see an increase of people wanting to get clean when they have these sites available.

They are people who have family and friends who love them. There a addiction and possible death impact and harms more then just the addicted

I recommend that you read some of Dr. Gabor Mate's books on addiction, you can find online materials that might help you better understand the process of becoming an addict.
"It takes a village to raise a fool." ~ Dan Mangan
mjc0483

Post by mjc0483 »

WeatherWoman wrote:

Oh man do you need some education.

Did you know preventive measures like safe injection sites and housing eases the cost on our medical system. In the long run this saves money. It also provides support to those who are ready to get clean and we see an increase of people wanting to get clean when they have these sites available.

They are people who have family and friends who love them. There a addiction and possible death impact and harms more then just the addicted

I recommend that you read some of Dr. Gabor Mate's books on addiction, you can find online materials that might help you better understand the process of becoming an addict.

I just don't do drugs. That keeps me from becoming an addict. Seems to work. Weird, huh? :)
WeatherWoman
Wicked Witch of the West Coast

Post by WeatherWoman »

You don't do any drugs??

Drink Coffee or Tea?
Drink Alcohol?
Take Tylenol?
Advil?
Robaxcet?

What if you had an accident and need pain management? Will you refuse the Demerol or morphine?
"It takes a village to raise a fool." ~ Dan Mangan
mjc0483

Post by mjc0483 »

WeatherWoman wrote:You don't do any drugs??

Drink Coffee or Tea?
Drink Alcohol?
Take Tylenol?
Advil?
Robaxcet?

What if you had an accident and need pain management? Will you refuse the Demerol or morphine?

I'm addicted to coffee. Can I borrow $13,000 grand?
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

hang in there, :up: if you do not agree to enable junkies by the so called educated know it all's here,your the bad guy :200:
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Post by whatwhat »

mjc0483 wrote:And the victims who get beat up, mugged, raped, killed, what becomes of them? Afterthoughts because the person who did it was "addicted" at the time. And instead of being punished, they are "helped" and given a chance to turn their life around. Victims become after thoughts in today's generation while the bleeding hearts come out and want to help the poor poor criminals who aren't at fault. They're "addicted" or have "mental issues" or a "bad past" ... It doesn't excuse their actions nor should it remove punishment.

Literally, no one has said this?? I get that you have a very strong negative bias towards people with addictions, and it seems you have one towards the "bleeding hearts" too, but that doesn't mean you can just put words in people mouths to suit your agenda, jeez.

You break the law, great, go to jail. But there are lot's of addicts that don't beat up, mug, rape, or kill that don't need to go to jail. There are lot's of "functioning" addicts who work, go to school, have families and normal lives who deserve the right to seek treatment. There are also lot's of non-function addicts (addicts who are homeless for example) who aren't raping and killing either.

I get that some people have such negative biases towards our homeless community that they will never be able to break through that uneducated opinion, but having such a pinpoint view on the topic is just ignorant.
hail Satan y'all
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

GordonH wrote:Privately run drug treatment centre is going into that building.
http://globalnews.ca/video/3647760/ever ... -addiction

It Will cost the addict $12,500 for 30 days treatment to try and get clean (and in reality the ol' 28 day cure doesn't really cut it - months of treatment, rehab, societal skills relearned, job training etc, have to follow in order to have a good chance at not backsliding)......costs the taxpayer $5,000 PER DAY to keep ONE addict in hospital once they are irreversibly brain-damaged from a fentanyl revival with Naloxone (and apparently, this is very common - be interesting to know how many are in KGH or other facilities at this time). This is in addition to all the other monies the government is doling out to fight the fight - MILLIONS$$$$.

So...I view this as a positive, albeit very meager START to help someone who truly wants to have a life again. We need detox and treatment centers urgently - even if they are private. Now, the video doesn't say who will pay the $12,500 - I am thinking the addict probably doesn't have it laying around as it would promptly go into their arm or up their nose. So, if the government (us) is paying MILLIONS anyways on these efforts to fight the fentanyl crisis, it makes sense they would foot the bill to get an addict into treatment - which is really the only hope an addict has off getting off the drugs and staying alive. We are going to pay for the drug crisis one way or another whether we like it or not so I vote we pay for a couple months of proper rehab in the private facilities for anyone who wants to give it a try. Government doesn't seem to be doing much towards building many treatment centers themselves so this is an option. In my personal opinion, safe-injections sites just enable them to stay alive to continue doing it and offer some conversation towards getting off the drug if they want - most of them don't want at that point, they just want their fix and no chit-chat - but the timeline to get into treatment is months so nothing happens. Once they have their fix they will sit there and tell you they definitely want to get off the stuff and will really look into it then off they go. Zero accomplished towards getting them clean, but yes, they are alive.
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

I understand the addict will want to seek treatment for any chance of success.. I hope many are in that boat but as noted by the increase in property crime ( thefts) also seems many want to steal to continue their addiction...
perhaps the thief's are stealing to get enough money together to get into treatment....doubt it...
I am not wealthy but I am rich

Return to “Central Okanagan”