Question for CEO of Interior Health

the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Question for CEO of Interior Health

Post by the truth »

http://nationalpost.com/news/canada/add ... 3667a98c24 do the math it about $$$$$$$$$$$$ not helping people
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Loki2u
Board Meister

Post by Loki2u »

the truth wrote:http://nationalpost.com/news/canada/addicts-subverting-methadone-treatment-costing-ontario-millions/wcm/c1eb9d2a-8b5f-4d1e-a2b4-173667a98c24 do the math it about $$$$$$$$$$$$ not helping people

I can't believe I'm typing this, but I actually agree with the Truth on this link he provided.

A couple of things to consider though:

First, this article is 6 years old and a solution was proposed at the end of the article which seemed like it would help big time, so I'd be curious to read some recent follow up on this story.

Second that proposed solution while sounding beneficial still has to be enforced by the doctors. If doctors and big pharma still want to profit, what would be the incentive for the doctors to want to adapt to this proposal?

Thanks for the insight Truth, if you find any more recent related articles I look forward to reading it anyways. :up:
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your INFORMED opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant. -Harlan Ellison-
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

Loki2u wrote:
the truth wrote:http://nationalpost.com/news/canada/addicts-subverting-methadone-treatment-costing-ontario-millions/wcm/c1eb9d2a-8b5f-4d1e-a2b4-173667a98c24 do the math it about $$$$$$$$$$$$ not helping people

I can't believe I'm typing this, but I actually agree with the Truth on this link he provided.

A couple of things to consider though:

First, this article is 6 years old and a solution was proposed at the end of the article which seemed like it would help big time, so I'd be curious to read some recent follow up on this story.

Second that proposed solution while sounding beneficial still has to be enforced by the doctors. If doctors and big pharma still want to profit, what would be the incentive for the doctors to want to adapt to this proposal?

Thanks for the insight Truth, if you find any more recent related articles I look forward to reading it anyways. :up:

:200: :up:
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/na ... e31593020/ so if war on drugs did not work, treatment for junkies is also not the answer for you leftwingers
neilsimon
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by neilsimon »

the truth wrote:https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/overuse-and-misuse-of-methadone-treatment-is-an-epidemic/article31593020/ so if war on drugs did not work, treatment for junkies is also not the answer for you leftwingers

One treatment not working does not mean that all treatments or variations on that treatment can't or won't work. Your claim is a non sequitur from the article you linked.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

the truth, people looking to get high for free-wake up people http://www.nugget.ca/2016/03/16/number- ... has-soared

honestly how do you explain the numbers skyrocketing across canada over the last few years, people looking to get high for fun, thats how

its one big joke for to many people until they wake up one day and realize they are full blown junkies
neilsimon
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by neilsimon »

the truth wrote:the truth, people looking to get high for free-wake up people http://www.nugget.ca/2016/03/16/number- ... has-soared

honestly how do you explain the numbers skyrocketing across canada over the last few years, people looking to get high for fun, thats how

Of course some people will abuse any system put in place and some will abuse treatments like methadone. But, I ask you this, assuming nobody is taking up drug taking to develop a methadone habit, that those who are being given it would otherwise engage in taking heroin or similar, and the cost to society from gangs and theft to feed a habit is worse than the cost of methadone, is it really bad to give it for free?
If we gave every heroin user free needles and free heroin, it would cost us at most $5/day each, but the current system costs them roughly 10x the amount. The damage done to society by giving huge amounts of money to gangs and making it so that many resort to theft to feed their habit (they should still be held responsible for their actions) means that we who do not use heroin almost certainly suffer more by the actions of those who do and the gangs they support, than if we just gave it away for free (with caveats).
ETA: By the way, I'm not actually advocating for this solution, but I just think that we need to think of all the possible solutions and not just try to keep a blinkered view of what our options are.
Because_They_Lie
Banned

Post by Because_They_Lie »

LANDM wrote:
Raven1 wrote: Fact is....some junkies CANNOT be helped and resources should not be wasted on those that are on a commacawzie mission with the gift that was their life.

How do you tell which are the ones that can be helped?
Are they not on a "commacawzie" mission?

Maybe they just want to commit "hairy cari" quietly.....

Sorry...couldn't resist.
Dough-moe airee got oh, Mister roe-bought-owe :147:

funny stuff :)
Because_They_Lie
Banned

THE FENTANYL FIX

Prescription heroin program ready to rapidly expand

A patient at the Crosstown Clinic in Vancouver's Downtown Eastside prepares one of his three daily doses of prescribed hydromorphone. (Rafferty Baker/CBC)

Mark Schnell walks into the injection room at Providence Health Care's Crosstown Clinic in Vancouver's Downtown Eastside.

With the help of a cane, he approaches a booth where he's given one of his three daily doses of injectable hydromorphone, an opioid used as a replacement for drugs like heroin.

The 49-year-old makes his way over to a steel counter in front of a mirror, where a nurse helps him wrap a piece of elastic around his upper arm. He struggles to find a vein in his left hand, then suddenly cries out in pain. Another nurse jumps in to help him.

"I hit a nerve. It was an electrical shock through my whole body," he later said. "I've never experienced anything like that."

Schnell tries a vein in his other hand, then decides to inject the drug into his right shoulder.

Crosstown Clinic patient Mark Schnell injects his medicated dose of hydromorphone, a heroin replacement, into his shoulder. (Rafferty Baker/CBC)

For nearly three decades, Schnell has used hard drugs. For most of that time he was into crack cocaine and crystal meth, but by the time he got into the program at Crosstown about four years ago, he was also dependent on heroin.

"Being in this program, the first thing I did ... I quit cocaine after 28 years," he said.

Schnell is one of about 130 participants in the program. About 100 patients are prescribed heroin, the rest receive hydromorphone.

Patient Mark Schnell gets his dose of hydromorphone from a booth before injecting it at Crosstown in Vancouver's Downtown Eastside. (Rafferty Baker/CBC)

Prescription heroin has been pointed to as a potential fix for the fentanyl overdose crisis that has been ravaging the Downtown Eastside, and affecting people across the province. The drug epidemic killed 914 people in British Columbia in 2016, according to officials.

Crosstown lead doctor Scott MacDonald argues its success should be leading to expansion.
■Injectable opioids a homegrown solution to fix the fentanyl crisis

But the idea of giving addicts free drugs to inject into their veins is one that gives some people pause, and policy makers have not been quick to adopt injectable therapy as a solution to the overdose crisis.

The federal government overturned a ban on prescription heroin in September, but in a recent interview with CBC, federal Health Minister Jane Philpott said provinces, including B.C., "have not used that opportunity to provide treatment to the people that need it."

B.C. Health Minister Terry Lake told CBC's The Early Edition, "We don't have physicians that are capable at this point in time in numbers large enough to administer injectable, pharmaceutical grade heroin and finding those particular people that would be helped by that is not simple."

Image Prescription heroin user Les Kaczorowski, 48, says being in the injectable therapy program has completely changed his life. He used to run into constant trouble with the law, selling drugs to maintain his habit. (Rafferty Baker/CBC)

MacDonald, said there are another 350 people who have already been screened and would benefit from the treatment.

He also said the pharmacist on site could easily accommodate more patients, and clinics could be quickly set up elsewhere; all that would be needed is a room and funding for a nurse.

For Schnell and the others in the program, the urgency of the opioid overdose crisis couldn't be any more obvious.

"I feel guilty. I feel guilty that I have this and I don't have to worry," he said.

"I have one less friend now than I had two weeks ago," said Schnell. "If he had been in this program, he would be alive today, as I am."

The Fentanyl Fix is a week long series exploring potential solutions to B.C.'s opioid overdose crisis.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/crosstown-clinic-injectable-opioid-treatment-program-1.3952325
Raven1
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Raven1 »

130 currently +350 screened and ready to go.........

And providing a synthetic instead of the real thing .....mad science has begun.

i couldn't think of a better group of guinea pigs than addicts from the east side.
Because_They_Lie
Banned

Raven1 wrote:130 currently +350 screened and ready to go.........

And providing a synthetic instead of the real thing .....mad science has begun.

i couldn't think of a better group of guinea pigs than addicts from the east side.

Not nice

Trust me, you are already a guinea pig unawares.

I wouldn't wish it on my worse enemy.

If the government actually cared they would "properly" rehabilitate each of these individuals that choose life and leave the rest to their own device.

The government does not like life at all, if anything the government is a cult of death, thus the free heroin - along with the free vaccines... compassion my *ss

All so nasty & utterly tragic.
mjc0483

Post by mjc0483 »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Aug 9th, 2017, 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic

Return to “Central Okanagan”