Homeless feeling the heat

lightspeed
Guru

Re: Homeless feeling the heat

Post by lightspeed »

bjsilent wrote:Anyone else notice the guy sitting at a table a few mins into the segment waving his hand asking them to bring him food and water lol,hey buddy get off your *bleep* and go get it yourself!!! Typical self entitled homeless twit with his hand out wanting want ting wanting

I saw a random guy waving at the cameraman.

I guess we all see what we want to see.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
foodsmith
Board Meister

Post by foodsmith »

LTD wrote:I don't have ac in my house and I get to WORK in the heat all day and just to make it even better the ac in my work truck quit working a couple weeks ago maybe the homeless should walk a mile in my shoes :-X

I have made the acquaintance of a few local homeless folks over the years, LTD.

Perhaps, if you're interested, I could invite one of my pals to "trade spaces" with you for one weekday and one weekend day -- just 48 hours -- so that your wish could be fulfilled?

It would be great to hear the tune you sing after walking a mile in their shoes... and vice versa, of course. :up:
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Why am I disappointed? I actually praised the majority of your post. Don't be such an asinine clown! lol!

because its clear if poster had said yes that where it was you would have said ahha . if it ever ends up you being homeless i will be sure to toss you some water . :130:
foodsmith
Board Meister

Post by foodsmith »

mjc0483 wrote:
lightspeed wrote:OP - it was a 37 degree day. I was stopped at a red light. A young fella was "begging" by the intersection. All I had was a spare bottle of water. So I handed it to him. "Thank you sir" he said in an articulate, sober manner. "It's all I have" I said. "No, thank you so much. I really appreciate that" he replied. As I drove forward, I glanced in my mirror and he downed that bottle in one. I'm pretty sure I could feel his appreciation.

Was that at Hwy 33 and Hwy 97 where there's a sign specifically saying you cannot beg there and yet that's always where they are? The other day there was a guy there arguing with a cop, flailing his arms and screaming and yelling. I mean how dare the cop come along and enforce the law on someone who was breaking it.

That aside, I appreciate your story and I am all for giving food, water, shelter etc. to the homeless. But NOT money. I remember when I lived out in Van, a homeless man asking me once at a bus stop if I had some change for the bus. I tried to do him one better and offered him my transfer which was still good for an hour and could be used anywhere (at the time, not sure if things have changed, been years since I've lived out there) but he declined. There was another time a homeless man stopped me outside a 7-11 asking for change, I offered to buy him some food but he declined. In both these cases, they did not want the money for the bus or for food, they wanted it for drugs or booze. Why am I going to give my hard earned money to someone to go get their addicted fix?

Did these citizens directly say to you that they were declining your offers of "food" or "transfers" because they wanted money specifically for booze and drugs? Highly doubtful...

I worked in the DTES for a good stretch of years, working graveyards specifically. While digging through dumpsters and walking through alleyways and SROs looking for Youth and Young Adults to connect with service-wise, we would often find people sleeping in some of the worst conditions I've seen anywhere I've worked in the world; left with a loaf of bread, some peanut butter, and a card with my name and number and the word "friend" written on the back, I would occasionally get a call in the wee hours of the night with some requests for aupies. You'd be surprised what they asked for... I'll let you sit with your assumption for a minute.

These people were often seriously addicted, street-dependent, either newly gang-involved or well-bred into the lifestyle, yet still very much in need -- and you know own what they asked for at least 95% of the time?

Socks. Seriously... Almost never got asked for anything substance-based other than clean rigs.

When we were walking around, people would ask for change, sure, and we'd stop to take the opportunity to chat and connect after saying we can't be passing out cash... Know what people would ask for when they couldn't have cash or would refuse food?

Socks. (Bet you're dying to know why this topped the list.) Personal effects. Orajel. Something to create the semblance of typical human-designed routine.

You see... Like it or not, just because someone says 'No' to your transfer or to your 7-11 "food", it doesn't mean they want intoxicants. Maybe their teeth hurt and the idea of a Slurpee or super processed cheese sauce over nachos is a one-way ticket to hours of nerve pain and days of bung; believe it or not some people, regardless of situation, still have standards and have to follow certain diets due to personal needs.

Furthermore, maybe they ask for change for the bus because asking for money straight-up is humiliating, that bus is a natural connection between you two needs-wise, and selling the transfer is illegal so he'd rather not take the risk. Either way, a dollar is more use to him than your soon-to-be expired transfer that will leave him stranded elsewhere, fighting to get back to where he needs to be and, regardless, still unable to meet his needs.

What if this person just had a need that you could have met with one basic question: How can I help you without giving you money?

Sounds strange, but I say that at least once a week and have made some lifelong pals on this city -- and others worldwide -- with that answer.

The best part: We both walk away richer.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

foodsmith so your blaming the working man now, your kind just kill me,safe bet your homeless criminal junkies have no desire to get up in the morning for a hard days work and all the responsibilities that come with being a responsible member of the community.if they did they would be
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Because_They_Lie
Banned

Post by Because_They_Lie »

the truth wrote:wow so it's the hard working mans fault now wow

Your interpretation of my words is erroneous, please do not vie for an argument as it is least on my list of things to do.

"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

foodsmith wrote:
LTD wrote:I don't have ac in my house and I get to WORK in the heat all day and just to make it even better the ac in my work truck quit working a couple weeks ago maybe the homeless should walk a mile in my shoes :-X

I have made the acquaintance of a few local homeless folks over the years, LTD.

Perhaps, if you're interested, I could invite one of my pals to "trade spaces" with you for one weekday and one weekend day -- just 48 hours -- so that your wish could be fulfilled?

It would be great to hear the tune you sing after walking a mile in their shoes... and vice versa, of course. :up:
No I'm just fine living the life I have WORKED MY *bleep* OFF to provide myself the things that I have, if I decide I want to walk a mile in their shoes I will quit working and get myself a $200 a day crack problem or slam back a bottle of whiskey a day if you and your PALS wish to live like bums good for you I don't care but don't whine that its hot and cry when its cold. Funny thing I remember when the orchardists were looking for pickers years back and went to the gospel mission looking for workers every person there scattered like cockroaches none of them wanted to work period it was on the news and after watching that a lot of people got an eye opener about the homeless problem.
foodsmith
Board Meister

Post by foodsmith »

the truth wrote:foodsmith so your blaming the working man now, your kind just kill me,safe bet your homeless criminal junkies have no desire to get up in the morning for a hard days work and all the responsibilities that come with being a responsible member of the community.if they did they would be

Please help me understand how anything in my post:

1. Speaks to blame being put on anyone at all
2. Discusses anyone doing anything "wrong"
3. Does not discuss the positive possibilities that take place in any interaction between any two people

What I see is a different perspective on a one-sided description of an exchange between two people from very (possibly) different backgrounds. The hope was that it might spark some reflection, perhaps even introspection, on a different motive for the other man's actions.

Truthy, it's time you received some very gentle challenge here: Time and time again your response to any retort that is in opposition to your own POV has been a statement that screams "BUT I AM THE VICTIM".

Enough. You are not the victim.

No one has victimized you by asking for water. No one has victimized or traumatized you by not having a permanent address. No one has ever said that "the working man" (an offensive and sexist statement in its own right) is to blame for any and all slights against the homeless population -- except you, via your interpretation and perspective.

I enjoy engaging with you on several topics; on this one, it seems the blinders are just a little too snug, man.

At least, too snug for us to move forward as far as productive conversation goes.

You are not the victim. No one is here -- it is merely a situation well worthy of exploration, rational/irrational conversation, and maybe even some development of mutual understanding.

Our community grows as a whole from this process, eh?

It's called "synergy". :130:

ETA: Using terms like "Your Kind" doesn't do anyone any favours. Not only is it offensive, it toes the line of 'personal attack' and alienates an entire group of like-minded individuals on C-Net that might be willing to actively engage in meaningful conversation with you on this.

Return to “Central Okanagan”