Surrounded by water and wheres all the boating activity

lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Re: Surrounded by water and wheres all the boating activity

Post by lesliepaul »

Came here with my parents on holidays when I was a kid in August 1967. Here for the Regatta and got to see the "Unlimited Hydroplanes"..........Miss Budweiser and many more. Now that was AWESOME!

What do we have now Basran (Basruin).............oh yeah..........the Paddle Board Centre on Abbott. When I have trouble sleeping I'll head right down there and watch the amazing action they put on...........works better than Sominex.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

bajadude wrote:So much water-lakes-boats around our area why doesnt the city or organization bring back a wakefest-water skiing type fest for all ages competition

Isn't that what Center of Gravity is?
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

I would vote for it, if there is a week or weekend for the sails, and one for the motorized.
I would try my best to be home for the sailers, but leave town for the noisy.

Along the same idea, how about a Hot Air Balloon Festival?
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

featfan wrote:Here is another rare beauty pic.
Miss Kelowna Too
Owner Art Jones (built by him?) Somebody come on with more info please.
Driver Jim Mcguire
Look at the prop running half way out of the water, where it should be.
And no cockpit for the driver, wide open.
OH I Miss the Hydros.

I miss the whole blinkin' Regatta! It was the bomb.....now that was when Kelowna was Kelowna and it was ALL about the lake! I know I'm going to age myself here but I remember coming to Kelowna for Regatta before the bleachers even burned down (and were never replaced??) there were high diving competitions, swimming competitions, the water ski competitions and jumps, live music on the water under the lights at night, the hydroplanes, the sail boat races, the fair rides, concessions and arcades on grass in City park, the list goes on and on. They never replaced the bleachers (why?) and things started to change after that but it was still fun UNTIL the riots - those morons ruined everything. Some people don't have the brains God gave lettuce. The City and maybe the RCMP too blamed it on having beer gardens but there were beer gardens in City park for Regatta before the riots - it just took some stupid drunks (most of them from out of town too) to cause so much mayhem, destruction and trouble that they shut it down. So again, the very few ruined it all for the rest of the City. NO more Regatta the City said - couldn't blame them at the time.

If we can handle COG, why can't we have Regatta back - the REAL Regatta, not the watered down version they tried to replace it with that eventually fizzled out.....

Great memories!
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

WalterWhite wrote:Lol - getting a little misty-eyed going through all these!

i-06352_141.jpg

i-06442_141.jpg

i-06377_141.jpg

I hear you Walter White! These pics are sooooo cool! I forgot about the sandcastle competitions!
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

I tried to organize RC boat racing, once the city said I had to get a permit to use a park from them and a permit from the province to use the lake, I figured f it
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

it was a much nicer place back then :smt045
Zoso
Übergod

Post by Zoso »

You got that right .
Strong and free

Return to “Central Okanagan”