Mussels headed our way

Mussels headed our way

Postby PuppyLove » Aug 15th, 2017, 8:22 pm

I think the mussels coming to the Okanagan is inevitable. I like the inspection stations, but travelling to Saskatchewan and back I was surprised to see how many of the mandatory inspection stations were closed. I suspect many have limited hours.

I think boats should be forced to stop and manually inspect their boats, with large signs explaining where to look and what to look for.

But when you consider how small a baby mussel could be, I think it's only a matter of time.

They really need to quarantine every boat that enters the province for 30 days. Cut the tourism? Gulp.

maryjane48 likes this post.
PuppyLove

Liked in: 40 posts

Re: Mussels headed our way

Postby Veovis » Aug 15th, 2017, 8:44 pm

I just saw that. Reasonably I don't know how to make checks better that aren't ridiculous $$$$ wise, but who drives a boat looking like that. that is terrible.

Maybe fines that are in line with starting fires is the proper choice, 100K for being a turd, maybe that has to be the funding model.
Last edited by Veovis on Aug 15th, 2017, 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Veovis
Guru

Liked in: 3863 posts

Postby motorhomebabe » Aug 15th, 2017, 8:45 pm

They should never allow any boat coming from infested waters into uninfested waters.But of course,that almighty tourist dollar is more important.

maryjane48 likes this post.
motorhomebabe
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 188 posts

Postby Veovis » Aug 15th, 2017, 8:50 pm

motorhomebabe wrote:They should never allow any boat coming from infested waters into uninfested waters.But of course,that almighty tourist dollar is more important.

How do we know what is and isn't though?

not an argument, and actual wonder......I'm not sure how to tell where any boat has been in the past 24 hours or less. Sure we could name high risk areas and maybe that helps, but how do the checks happen?

2 people like this post.
Veovis
Guru

Postby GordonH » Aug 15th, 2017, 9:00 pm

All it take is 1 to make it through & the infestation starts.
When you have to start compromising yourself and your morals for the people around you, it’s probably time to change the people around you.

3 people like this post.
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 6996 posts
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Postby Queen K » Aug 15th, 2017, 9:00 pm

I've been thinking about how checks can happen and be more accurate.

Developing a vegetable based dye to reveal the mussels on boats? The clean them off? I understand they are small, so
Run all boats through a sonic system that blasts the mussels til their dead?
X-ray technology of some sort to reveal if they are living anywhere on the hull?
Develop a killer spray that blasts up from a system, like a car wash? Only the boat is towed over top of it and the hull gets blasted?

None of these solutions will be nearly as expensive as getting mussels in the waters here.
Our saddest days are when we add up our losses, and losses seem to be our saddest when we lose our best. Proud to be a "Leaf-licker" and I know who else is too. **smiles**

2 people like this post.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Liked in: 12237 posts

Postby dirtybiker » Aug 15th, 2017, 9:12 pm

It is a huge hurdle, even if you managed to police and decontaminate 100% of the trailered boats,
what about the small outboards and electrics that may be packed away for use on rubber rafts
and such.

Now it comes down to owners being responsible and ethical, we all know how that goes...
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"

damama55 likes this post.
dirtybiker
Guru

Liked in: 2766 posts

Postby Queen K » Aug 15th, 2017, 9:14 pm

I was thinking about the boat wash, from the bottom to the top, a spray that can be dialed in to fit the size of the hull. It's vegetable dyed so as the coverage can be seen by a paid inspector. A certificate can be given out that the treatment has been done and inspected by BC certified inspectors.

Any boat found in BC with out this certification? The operator and/or owner on the boat's registration papers can recieve significant fines.

Fine tune this idea from here.
Our saddest days are when we add up our losses, and losses seem to be our saddest when we lose our best. Proud to be a "Leaf-licker" and I know who else is too. **smiles**

2 people like this post.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Postby Queen K » Aug 15th, 2017, 9:59 pm

dirtybiker wrote:It is a huge hurdle, even if you managed to police and decontaminate 100% of the trailered boats,
what about the small outboards and electrics that may be packed away for use on rubber rafts
and such.

Now it comes down to owners being responsible and ethical, we all know how that goes...

I will add that when the boat hull is being sprayed and inspected, the next step to act in junction with the overall inspection is for the pointed questions to be asked much like a border patrol.

Do you carry any small outboards which have been in waters known to be infested with zebra mussels?
Any anything: water toys, paddles, etc.

Sign here.

Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Postby zzontar » Aug 15th, 2017, 10:26 pm

Every boat launch should have impossible to miss signage about the mussels along with the massive fine amount in HUGE NUMBERS.
They say you can't believe everything they say.

3 people like this post.
zzontar
Guru

Liked in: 1098 posts

Postby Veovis » Aug 15th, 2017, 10:43 pm

zzontar wrote:Every boat launch should have impossible to miss signage about the mussels along with the massive fine amount in HUGE NUMBERS.

not possible all over, but what if in main centers like Kal lake ,OK, Vancouver..yadda yadda, the boat launches contained a mix for the launch to cleanse?

not a boat guy just a hope.

Veovis
Guru

Postby vegas1500 » Aug 16th, 2017, 1:10 am

zzontar wrote:Every boat launch should have impossible to miss signage about the mussels along with the massive fine amount in HUGE NUMBERS.

Still wouldn't work, some people are stupid and just don't get it. Just look at the fire bans, but people still having fires...or throwing butts out their windows.

3 people like this post.
vegas1500
Übergod

Liked in: 1426 posts

Postby zzontar » Aug 16th, 2017, 7:32 am

vegas1500 wrote:
Still wouldn't work, some people are stupid and just don't get it. Just look at the fire bans, but people still having fires...or throwing butts out their windows.

Look at how many AREN'T having fires or chucking butts because of the awareness.
They say you can't believe everything they say.

zzontar
Guru

Liked in: 1098 posts

Postby gman313 » Aug 16th, 2017, 8:05 am

In a perfect world every boat launch would have an inspector 24/7
gman313
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1066 posts

Postby dirtybiker » Aug 16th, 2017, 8:19 am

zzontar wrote:Look at how many AREN'T having fires or chucking butts because of the awareness.

I like the optimism.

The only problem with things like this (and fires) is it only takes one.

Being a PITA, nosey, busy-body at the launches also.
See out of Province or Country plates at the launch, campground
hotel, motel.
Inquire and educate.
This would rarely go smoothly !
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
dirtybiker
Guru

Liked in: 2766 posts

Next

Return to Central Okanagan