Mussels headed our way

Re: Mussels headed our way

Postby LCUph » Aug 16th, 2017, 8:06 am

I think the ONLY answer is to STOP all boats coming into out province, the rental places would love it. Even if you make the boat owners get a 30 day quarantine certif they will find somewhere to get a fake one.

maryjane48 likes this post.
LCUph
 
Posts: 1
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 1 post
Joined: Dec 11th, 2007, 9:00 am

Re: Mussels headed our way

Postby Treblehook » Aug 16th, 2017, 8:34 am

An infestation is probably inevitable as there doesn't seem to be the political will to invest in appropriate inspection stations and the creation of laws that require all boats entering the province to be inspected immediately upon entry and for the owner/operators to be required to hold and present their inspection certificate to any designated authority on request. There needs to be significant penalties for anyone violating this law, including seizure of the boat and very expensive fines, whether the boat is contaminated or not. The cost of such laws, inspection stations and decontamination facilities is peanuts compared to the cost of addressing the infestation of our waters. I have twice written to the Minister of Environment on this issue and the threat to BC waters, and he hasn't even done me the courtesy of a response. The reality is there are people launching boats here in the Okanagan every day, from other provinces, who are not even aware of the existence of the invasive mussels. That in itself is disgusting evidence of the ineffectiveness of our government's approach to addressing the threat.

6 people like this post.
User avatar
Treblehook
Übergod
 
Posts: 1948
Likes: 2 posts
Liked in: 1319 posts
Joined: Jan 17th, 2011, 1:10 am

Re: Mussels headed our way

Postby gman313 » Aug 16th, 2017, 8:40 am

Treblehook wrote:An infestation is probably inevitable as there doesn't seem to be the political will to invest in appropriate inspection stations and the creation of laws that require all boats entering the province to be inspected immediately upon entry and for the owner/operators to be required to hold and present their inspection certificate to any designated authority on request. There needs to be significant penalties for anyone violating this law, including seizure of the boat and very expensive fines, whether the boat is contaminated or not. The cost of such laws, inspection stations and decontamination facilities is peanuts compared to the cost of addressing the infestation of our waters. I have twice written to the Minister of Environment on this issue and the threat to BC waters, and he hasn't even done me the courtesy of a response. The reality is there are people launching boats here in the Okanagan every day, from other provinces, who are not even aware of the existence of the invasive mussels. That in itself is disgusting evidence of the ineffectiveness of our government's approach to addressing the threat.


well said

and I think ignorance is a big part of it

3 people like this post.
gman313
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2840
Likes: 1198 posts
Liked in: 1382 posts
Joined: Sep 15th, 2008, 7:03 pm

Mussels Heading Our Way

Postby damama55 » Aug 16th, 2017, 10:28 am

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/2 ... ed-our-way
This is a story everyone needs to read and heed. To think that the ONLY 24 hour inspection facility is in Golden, is ridiculous!! With many, many boats coming into our province from MANY directions, WHY aren't there more 24 hour inspection stations?? We need to protect our waterways and avoid the disaster these mussels will cause. It is bad enough we now have to deal with the Milfoil that is throughout soooo many of our lakes, and we know we can't rely on people to take necessary precautions to stop the spread of whatever. This is our home and OUR environment. What are we leaving for future generations??
Stay safe and watch out for the other guy.
User avatar
damama55
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 990
Likes: 1380 posts
Liked in: 610 posts
Joined: Feb 18th, 2011, 2:52 pm
Location: Lake Country

Re: Mussels Heading Our Way

Postby damama55 » Aug 16th, 2017, 10:33 am

It still needs to be paid attention to.
Stay safe and watch out for the other guy.

gman313 likes this post.
User avatar
damama55
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 990
Likes: 1380 posts
Liked in: 610 posts
Joined: Feb 18th, 2011, 2:52 pm
Location: Lake Country

Re: Mussels headed our way

Postby JBX » Aug 16th, 2017, 1:26 pm

How the heck are they not here already? If you think of how many people and boats come here I'm utterly amazed that they have not made it yet.
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
JBX
Fledgling
 
Posts: 331
Likes: 306 posts
Liked in: 234 posts
Joined: Jul 8th, 2014, 10:06 am
Location: Kaleden

Re: Mussels headed our way

Postby GordonH » Aug 16th, 2017, 1:35 pm

JBX wrote:How the heck are they not here already? If you think of how many people and boats come here I'm utterly amazed that they have not made it yet.


Inspections are done at entry points into BC, have been for many years now.
Here is thread from 2014 viewtopic.php?f=26&t=55943&p=1631747&hilit=mussels#p1631747
When you have to start compromising yourself and your morals for the people around you, it’s probably time to change the people around you.

JBX likes this post.
User avatar
GordonH
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 21359
Likes: 2430 posts
Liked in: 7759 posts
Joined: Oct 4th, 2008, 6:21 pm
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Re: Mussels headed our way

Postby PuppyLove » Aug 16th, 2017, 3:04 pm

Maybe science is the only realistic solution. Someone needs to invent a mussel killer that attacks only mussels and doesn't harm the environment. The mussels are like a cancer and they should attack the problem in the same way (minus the radiation).

4 people like this post.
PuppyLove
 
Posts: 37
Likes: 6 posts
Liked in: 44 posts
Joined: Mar 14th, 2014, 4:05 pm

Re: Mussels headed our way

Postby Treblehook » Aug 16th, 2017, 4:04 pm

We need proper laws in place to protect against the introduction of invasive species into our waters and we need highly visible signage at all entry points that states emphatically the requirements of all persons bring watercraft and motors into British Columbia.. vis-a-vis inspections and decontamination where deemed necessary. Those signs should clearly state the serious legal consequences of failure to comply. Our government needs to take this threat seriously and our citizens need to communicate that expectation to their MLA and the Minister of Environment and the Premier. I don't think anything less than a province wide email campaign by the electorate is going to inspire the Provincial Government to a damned thing about this.

3 people like this post.
User avatar
Treblehook
Übergod
 
Posts: 1948
Likes: 2 posts
Liked in: 1319 posts
Joined: Jan 17th, 2011, 1:10 am

Re: Mussels headed our way

Postby steve mc » Aug 16th, 2017, 5:27 pm

zebra mussels with mysis shrimp served on a bed of milfoil okanogan white wine

4 people like this post.
steve mc
Fledgling
 
Posts: 127
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 67 posts
Joined: May 15th, 2014, 6:53 am

Re: Mussels headed our way

Postby vegas1500 » Aug 16th, 2017, 5:32 pm

zzontar wrote:
vegas1500 wrote:
Still wouldn't work, some people are stupid and just don't get it. Just look at the fire bans, but people still having fires...or throwing butts out their windows.


Look at how many AREN'T having fires or chucking butts because of the awareness.


True but I think people with common sense DONT need a sign telling them not to have a fire or toss a butt in a drought condition or while a fire ban is on.
User avatar
vegas1500
Übergod
 
Posts: 1287
Likes: 3759 posts
Liked in: 1725 posts
Joined: Aug 4th, 2013, 5:53 pm

Re: Mussels headed our way

Postby phasyluck » Aug 16th, 2017, 6:55 pm

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Aug 17th, 2017, 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
Sure do love Rutland!!

3 people like this post.
phasyluck
Übergod
 
Posts: 1781
Likes: 293 posts
Liked in: 723 posts
Joined: Jan 12th, 2011, 7:54 pm

Re: Mussels headed our way

Postby GordonH » Mar 6th, 2018, 7:32 pm

Bumped
If this little bugger finds its way into BC lakes, eurasian watermilfoil could be the least of our problems. All it takes is missing 1 boat with these mussels on it, then time to reproduce.
https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton ... ssel-worry
When you have to start compromising yourself and your morals for the people around you, it’s probably time to change the people around you.

Ken7 likes this post.
User avatar
GordonH
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 21359
Likes: 2430 posts
Liked in: 7759 posts
Joined: Oct 4th, 2008, 6:21 pm
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Re: Mussels headed our way

Postby gman313 » Mar 7th, 2018, 8:46 am

GordonH wrote:Bumped
If this little bugger finds its way into BC lakes, eurasian watermilfoil could be the least of our problems. All it takes is missing 1 boat with these mussels on it, then time to reproduce.
https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton ... ssel-worry


Yep - and the problem is the main highways are not the only way into the province. There are countless side streets and FSR's that are groomed enough for a truck and trailer. I'm afraid it is only a matter of time. I think all public and private boat launches need monitoring.
gman313
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2840
Likes: 1198 posts
Liked in: 1382 posts
Joined: Sep 15th, 2008, 7:03 pm

Re: Mussels headed our way

Postby Ken7 » Mar 7th, 2018, 9:19 am

gman313 wrote:
Yep - and the problem is the main highways are not the only way into the province. There are countless side streets and FSR's that are groomed enough for a truck and trailer. I'm afraid it is only a matter of time. I think all public and private boat launches need monitoring.


In 2010 I drove to Afton Wyoming to purchase a boat. All the way there I saw boat checks and finally stopped to see what this was all about. It was for zebra mussel check points.

Sadly, as someone else stated all it takes is one individual who says, who cares and there we go. Last summer I observed a boat on the highway and I believe it was coming from Vancouver, a fishing boat.

Do you think he might have mussels on it. He was heading back to Saskatchewan with it and he was from Hudson Bay.

I like the idea of a chemical spray indicator, but if that costs money you know how people are!

2 people like this post.
User avatar
Ken7
Guru
 
Posts: 6846
Likes: 3993 posts
Liked in: 2879 posts
Joined: Sep 30th, 2007, 3:09 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Central Okanagan

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot], Frisk, whallzee and 13 guests