Has Farmers Market gone commercial?

Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Re: Has Farmers Market gone commercial?

Post by Lady tehMa »

What ever happened to the two options for new locations that were being looked into? It doesn't look like anything is happening with the Benvoulin/Springfield location or the Ellis/Clement one
I haven't failed until I quit.
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

Maybe one day if I win a lottery I will go down to the "Kelowna Farmers Market"...........until then the money will be spent in a manner that benefits moi first! Their hardship stories and how we have to support them should be directed to the tourists who don't know better.
HaveInternetWillTravel

Post by HaveInternetWillTravel »

The farmers market has both season vendor and day vendors. Day vendors pay on a day to day basis, only season vendors pay up front. Anyone can apply to be a day vendor. You don't need a business licence but you will need to have the products you want to sell juried to make sure you "make it, bake it or grow it".

Once you're approved you can pick the days you want to be a vendor. As a newbie you might not always get in especially in the busy summer months when there is a wait list, but in the spring and fall when there is less fresh produce there are more spaces for day vendors. Wednesdays are almost never full early and late in the season. This year there are lots of great new vendors. Someone making vegan cheese, a new kombucha vendor, several new jewellers, a new potter and more.

As for the location I think we all agree that the current spot isn't ideal, BUT it is central and there's lots of parking with orchard Park on one side and the "by-donation to the SPCA" lot on the other side. Plus easy bus access. That being said the board of directors has been exploring all kinds of options over the last few years. Unfortunately there are no easy answers. Especially given the price of property in this town. Closing a downtown street during the week is never going to happen, and there aren't many options big enough. The Kelowna Farmers Market is the largest farmers market in BC and one of the largest in Canada finding a new home for the market is going to take support from the community and city council.
bidwell2
Fledgling

Post by bidwell2 »

Yeah, that doesn't sound quite like the farmers markets I'm familiar with here. As somebody already pointed out, you can apply as a day vendor at any of the farmers markets, and many vendors I know only show up to the markets for a certain period over the summer, they don't go for the whole season. So in other words, you can usually find a market to sell in if you look around. You can sell just about anything that passes jury, and there are both 'open' and 'closed' markets.

As for the prices, I think some people here are just offering up outdated opinions. I've found good deals at all of the markets I've been to, and many of the vendors offer the same prices that they use at their roadside stands. I know that for a fact. There is the odd vendor who over-charges, no different than any other retail operations. And the fruit and produce is top of the line in terms of freshness and taste.

If you want fast and really cheap then go with the grocery store chains and buy their tasteless 'ripened in the truck' produce and fruit from the US and Mexico.

You can start your own market if you want, and then you can invite who you want. I know a couple of people who have done that over the past couple years (although neither market lasted very long).

There's nothing wrong with complaining about over-priced goods at farmers markets, but that's the exception, not the rule.
the_anonymous

Post by the_anonymous »

We run a food trailer but we were turned down by the Kelowna Farmer's Market because they said they were full. We sent in our application even before the season started. We sell at Lake Country, Summerland, Naramata and Penticton but can't even join in our own city because they just say 'No more room for food trailers'. (Our food trailer is the size of a market tent). When the moonlight opened downtown, they again said no because no generators allowed downtown.

I asked them if we could join the Kelowna Farmer's Market winter market but again they said you needed to be a vendor with the Kelowna Farmer's Market for 10 weeks in order to get a place in the winter market.

I don't know... I'm at a loss when it comes to the Kelowna Farmer's Market.
There's some things I'm conservative about. There's some things I'm liberal about.
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

the_anonymous wrote:We run a food trailer but we were turned down by the Kelowna Farmer's Market because they said they were full. We sent in our application even before the season started. We sell at Lake Country, Summerland, Naramata and Penticton but can't even join in our own city because they just say 'No more room for food trailers'. (Our food trailer is the size of a market tent). When the moonlight opened downtown, they again said no because no generators allowed downtown.

I asked them if we could join the Kelowna Farmer's Market winter market but again they said you needed to be a vendor with the Kelowna Farmer's Market for 10 weeks in order to get a place in the winter market.

I don't know... I'm at a loss when it comes to the Kelowna Farmer's Market.

The problem is not you........it is the word in front of "Farmer's Market" that is the problem.........."KELOWNA".
Nom_de_Plume
Guru

Post by Nom_de_Plume »

Everything mentioned here is why I don't sell my products at farmers markets.
I direct sell to my customers and advertise my wares on Facebook and my website.
Also, I don't like crowds, standing around all day on hot tarmac and crowds, oh did I mention crowds. There is a reason why I'm a farmer living in the middle of 160 acres.
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
~ Terry Pratchett
motorhomebabe
Lord of the Board

Post by motorhomebabe »

Hardly ever go to the Farmers Market. Found it was much cheaper to go directly to the farmer. Makes a nice day out making the rounds.
Nom_de_Plume
Guru

Post by Nom_de_Plume »

Farmers market lies exposed: hidden camera investigation
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
~ Terry Pratchett
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

Since many gladly pay more to support the "local" guy , it doesn't surprise me that this does happen - resale definitely explains some of the prices.
I'm fine with it so long as it's CLEARLY labelled , nothing wrong with one stop shopping.
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

I love marketplace. they put everyone under the gun, well sometimes.
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

yup, good show
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell

Return to “Central Okanagan”