New Mission Group Condo

lightspeed
Guru

Re: New Mission Group Condo

Post by lightspeed »

Noisy Boater wrote:Now go to Lana at Sir Knights on Leon and Water ??

Are they good? I like a neat clean simple cut with attention to detail and no hassle.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

Well it appears the City of Kelowna and their Planning Department should turn to the Castanet Forums for "expertise" on just about everything..........I am personally in awe. According to the experts HERE, there is now NO DOUBT that the condo is going to be built on contaminated land.

Now, back to your haircut...................
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

lesliepaul wrote:Well it appears the City of Kelowna and their Planning Department should turn to the Castanet Forums for "expertise" on just about everything..........I am personally in awe. According to the experts HERE, there is now NO DOUBT that the condo is going to be built on contaminated land.

Now, back to your haircut...................

It's not improbable that the collective knowledge of a handful of random Castanetters outweighs that of the entire apparatus of the City of Kelowna.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

Henderson's was on the northwest corner as Gordon pointed out previously - which this photo from Google Earth shows as a gravel lot. Ellis is center, running top to bottom. Top is north.

ellis.jpg
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

WalterWhite wrote:Henderson's was on the northwest corner as Gordon pointed out previously - which this photo from Google Earth shows as a gravel lot. Ellis is center, running top to bottom. Top is north.

ellis.jpg

Looked at the same photo at city hall and they stated the paved lot is the contaminated property or the property that had the dry cleaners on it.

Now I am not against this development but there was a concern about a past business and possible contamination. The city was and is in the position of making the correct call on the site. If someone is trying to pull a "fast one" and ignore a serious health and environment issue...........the repercussions can be staggering.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

lesliepaul wrote:
WalterWhite wrote:Henderson's was on the northwest corner as Gordon pointed out previously - which this photo from Google Earth shows as a gravel lot. Ellis is center, running top to bottom. Top is north.

ellis.jpg

Looked at the same photo at city hall and they stated the paved lot is the contaminated property or the property that had the dry cleaners on it.

Now I am not against this development but there was a concern about a past business and possible contamination. The city was and is in the position of making the correct call on the site. If someone is trying to pull a "fast one" and ignore a serious health and environment issue...........the repercussions can be staggering.

Lol - well, not surprisingly whoever you talked to at city hall doesn't know what they're talking about in regards to the old location of Henderson's. I can assure you it was on the northwest corner.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Okay, so when Henderson cleaners building was removed. Does anyone remember if the area was dug out to remove any contaminated soil.
As was done on northeast corner of Harvey & Burtch once the Esso station was removed. Same thing happened at northeast corner of Harvey & Gordon when the Petro-Canada station was removed. etc... etc
Ground was tested in both these cases & contaminated dirt removed & filled in. Of course big issue with the old Henderson cleaners lot would be if contamination was present. Knowing the downtown core water table being as high as it is, what could be done then. Dig up the whole area to see how far it may have spread, that is if there was contamination.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

GordonH wrote:
LANDM wrote:No. That is NOT where Hendersons was. You are wrong.

Henderson Cleaners was on northwest corner of Ellis & Lawrence, next door was barbershop I would get my haircut at (trying to remember the name, it was the first name of the owner). I'm leaning towards Pete's.

I know exactly where it was but was correcting Lesliepaul as her/his assumption of the Hendersons location was incorrect.
You and 71 others Like this post
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

I know exactly where it was but was correcting Lesliepaul as her/his assumption of the Hendersons location was incorrect.
[/quote]

I appreciate all of the info about this and it would be nice to see an actual picture of this location before the demolition occurred. I do not recall ANY excavation being done at this site.........not that I was looking for it 5, 6 or 7 years ago. My understanding is that the reclamation process only proceeds or has to when the land is going to be developed where it will be "disturbed"..........a parking lot does not disturb. That would fall into the new owners lap along with the expense...........with possible lawsuits if it was not disclosed to the purchasers. I am certainly no expert in this field but I am aware of parcels of land that is contaminated and have sat vacant for many, many years. Maybe the contamination at this location was minimal........who knows, but the ESA would be accurate if done by a reputable company in this field.

Again, the city says the "paved" portion of the properties is the land with the contamination and will more than likely remain as a vacant lot and not disturbed.............that's it.
I see what you did

Post by I see what you did »

AtticSalt wrote:gosh...where is everyone coming from...? the amount of multiple building (high dense) going on in this city is crazy...I mean enough already..I used to live on a quite street and everyone uses it for a short cut to avoid having to stop at street lights.

not to sound salty, but have you been living under a rock? have you seen kelowna's vacancy rate lately?
strebor

Post by strebor »

If proper venting and plumbing was installed at a dry cleaners, I wonder why you'd think the land was "contaminated"?
69cutlass
Übergod

Post by 69cutlass »

I remember when they demolished the building that a big deep hole was dug and back filled to make the parking lot. That looked like proper reclamation
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

lesliepaul wrote:
I appreciate all of the info about this and it would be nice to see an actual picture of this location before the demolition occurred. I do not recall ANY excavation being done at this site.........not that I was looking for it 5, 6 or 7 years ago. My understanding is that the reclamation process only proceeds or has to when the land is going to be developed where it will be "disturbed"..........a parking lot does not disturb. That would fall into the new owners lap along with the expense...........with possible lawsuits if it was not disclosed to the purchasers. I am certainly no expert in this field but I am aware of parcels of land that is contaminated and have sat vacant for many, many years. Maybe the contamination at this location was minimal........who knows, but the ESA would be accurate if done by a reputable company in this field.

Again, the city says the "paved" portion of the properties is the land with the contamination and will more than likely remain as a vacant lot and not disturbed.............that's it.

A phase 1 esa works immediately trigger the need to go on with further work for this site, or any other sites with activities in the past that trigger concern. No option.
If a buyer is so stupid as to not investigate, then it's pretty hard to blame others. If someone lied on the phase 1, then yes, they would be open to liability claims.
Last edited by LANDM on Aug 20th, 2017, 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
You and 71 others Like this post
AtticSalt

Post by AtticSalt »

I see what you did wrote:
AtticSalt wrote:gosh...where is everyone coming from...? the amount of multiple building (high dense) going on in this city is crazy...I mean enough already..I used to live on a quite street and everyone uses it for a short cut to avoid having to stop at street lights.

not to sound salty, but have you been living under a rock? have you seen kelowna's vacancy rate lately?

No I have not been living under a rock...it's just sad that CKO has agriculture listed as #4 on their top priority list. This is not the correct forum to address this however it is a sad day when it has has become nearly impossible to try to keeping farming in this backwards town. You try driving a tractor on these roads and see how many 1 finger salutes you get. Our family land that we still farm has been sliced and diced by COK with roads...proposed roads and high rise buildings.
Everyone wants their fresh fruit and veggies, beef chicken etc...but they also do not want the daily farming practices intruding their daily commute or when on a joyful Sunday drive, bike, hike into or thru so called farming areas heaven forbid they should have to get 'stuck' behind a slower moving farm vehicle. I am the last one to ever admit that I have any or all answers to the vast problem and issues the this wonderful town has but I am yet hard pressed to see why the need for all these high rises...and it has nothing to do with low vacancy rates...most if not all of these buildings will not address that issue. They will most likely be a 2nd home for people and rented out as a vacation rental or be a new home for people that will move here...not already here without a home.
dominik
Fledgling

Post by dominik »

Okay, lets clarify this... THAT is the Henderson Cleaners lot. Henderson cleaners was located at 1580 Ellis Street which is that gravel lot.

This took 15 seconds to find within google and business listings...

https://www.cylex.ca/company/henderson- ... 26741.html

http://www.drycleaners.org/ca/drycleane ... 0Cleaners/

https://www.yelp.ca/biz/henderson-cleaners-kelowna

Actual Location:

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/1580+E ... 4d-119.494

Ella is being built at 1588 Ellis which is the same lot!

Return to “Central Okanagan”