Free Westbank???

MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Re: Free Westbank???

Post by MAPearce »

GordonH wrote:Someone trying to stir the pot with vandalism, whomever this is you keep Westbank in your head all you want.

It's not me doing this but I can see why someone's getting their jollies with this ..

A bunch of newbies in the hood who can't afford to live in Kelowna want to change the name of a town to something like Kelowna so they can feel like they can afford to live in Kelowna...

I'd like to think it's a sort of "geographical plastic surgery "..
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

WalterWhite wrote:Saw it today on concrete highway guardrails in Summerland. Whatever the message - it's still graffiti.
Weird as Summerland has nothing to do with West Kelowna or the neighbourhoods (Westbank being one neighbourhood).
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
neilsimon
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by neilsimon »

johnrae wrote:They should have never been allowed to use Kelowna in their name. Westbank is nothing but a crap hole. I shower as soon as I come home from Westbank just to get the stink of that crap pit off of me. I would be so happy if they took our name out of their town.

See, that's the good old "wrong side of the tracks" attitude I was talking about. Is that how you feel after you visit Mission Hill? Quails Gate? Paynters Market? Don't worry, I'm sure they don't miss your patronage.

MAPearce wrote:It's not me doing this but I can see why someone's getting their jollies with this ..

A bunch of newbies in the hood who can't afford to live in Kelowna want to change the name of a town to something like Kelowna so they can feel like they can afford to live in Kelowna...

Change what name? If they are in the Westbank area, they are already in West Kelowna and most of the home owners in West Kelowna could afford to live in Kelowna, if that's what we really wanted. It seems to me to be an attempt to drop the derivative "West Kelowna" name and reclaim a separate identity, which while understandable, isn't really of much benefit. If they did drop the West Kelowna name, most of us would probably start referring to where we live by the neighbourhood, so Lakeview Heights, Glenrosa, etc. in much the same way that those who live in the Mission or Black Mountain, and even Glenmore neighbourhoods usually do.
ORWELL

Post by ORWELL »

a flawed statement

"can't afford to live in Kelowna want to change the name of a town to something like Kelowna so they can feel like they can afford to live in Kelowna... "

there were homes on this side of the bridge with the mailing address of Kelowna, who had to change their city name to (District of)West Kelowna after the name change and now (City of)

some people too immersed in the WB tunnel vision forget that .

but back to the topic at hand, maybe they are trying to give Westbank away ? this is like FREE KITTENS ?
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

The vast majority of people have long since moved on from the old battles. A democratic decision was made to incorporate and a democratic decision was made to name our city West Kelowna. Within that city are neighbourhoods like Westbank. These neighbourhood names have not disappeared and a small minority of people are trying to fix something that isn't broken.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

ORWELL wrote:a flawed statement

"can't afford to live in Kelowna want to change the name of a town to something like Kelowna so they can feel like they can afford to live in Kelowna... "

there were homes on this side of the bridge with the mailing address of Kelowna, who had to change their city name to (District of)West Kelowna after the name change and now (City of)

some people too immersed in the WB tunnel vision forget that .

but back to the topic at hand, maybe they are trying to give Westbank away ? this is like FREE KITTENS ?

Sound like Postal Canada :cuss: ed up, since Kelowna City limits ends along shore of east side Okanagan Lake.
Last edited by ferri on Aug 20th, 2017, 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: word censor workaround
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

Even if it's free, it's not worth taking. Nuke the entire place and start from scratch.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Even Steven wrote:Even if it's free, it's not worth taking. Nuke the entire place and start from scratch.
Start what from scratch - great bedroom communities? Wineries?
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Change what name? If they are in the Westbank area, they are already in West Kelowna

You're kidding right ?????

You don't remember lots of people who lived in the town of Westbank NOT wanting to have the name of their town changed to West Kelowna ??????

You must have just fallen off the turnip truck .
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Sound like Postal Canada :cuss: ed up, since Kelowna City limits ends along shore of east side Okanagan Lake.

It's not a *bleep*.... We all know that the land immediately west of the bridge is WFN land...

or should I say WKFN land ??
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

And their address uses the name Kelowna.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

MAPearce wrote:A bunch of newbies in the hood who can't afford to live in Kelowna want to change the name of a town to something like Kelowna so they can feel like they can afford to live in Kelowna...

I tend to agree - change what name? No one who voted has forgotten what happened. Westbank is in the City of West Kelowna. Maybe it's the way you worded your post that's confusing.
Last edited by Fancy on Aug 20th, 2017, 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Fancy wrote:And their address uses the name Kelowna.

I wouldn't know about Canada Post and how they do things...

I'm still waiting on a touque from Sooke for the last two years...

edit to add.. And everyone in Oak Bay , Esquimalt , View Royal and Saanich use the name Victoria.
Last edited by MAPearce on Aug 20th, 2017, 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

I tend to agree - change what name? No one who voted has forgotten what happened. Westbank is in the City of West Kelowna. Maybe it's the way you worded your post that's confusing.
[/quote]

Gee whiz .... When I started visiting here in the mid 90's , the place was called Wesbank.. When I moved here in the late 90's the place was still called Westbank . There was no such place as West Kelowna ..

What year was the name changed from Westbank to West Kelowna ???
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

MAPearce wrote:I wouldn't know about Canada Post and how they do things...
That's what GordonH referred to

Return to “Central Okanagan”