Take back the foreshore

762Shooter

Take back the foreshore

Post by 762Shooter »

This march and the report didn't even address the issue of encroachment on crown land by lakefront property owners. All land up to historical high water mark is crown land. Many lakeshore property owners have built retaining walls far below historical high water mark then filled and leveled behind the walls to include crown land in what they then consider to be their private property.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Re: Take back the foreshore

Post by ferri »

“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
nicdoug

Post by nicdoug »

Next year bring a sledgehammer and wire cutters. What are they gonna do? Maybe put them back up, but at least we will be getting the point across. This ongoing problem is ridiculous. I bet half of these people arent here all year round. Time for us to take it into our own hands if law enforcement wont. Proud of everyone who walked the beach! Good on you folks!
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

nicdoug wrote:Next year bring a sledgehammer and wire cutters. What are they gonna do? Maybe put them back up, but at least we will be getting the point across. This ongoing problem is ridiculous. I bet half of these people arent here all year round. Time for us to take it into our own hands if law enforcement wont. Proud of everyone who walked the beach! Good on you folks!
Encouraging the destruction of private property is noted.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Is it private property if it's constructed without a permit on land that is NOT private?
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

kgcayenne wrote:Is it private property if it's constructed without a permit on land that is NOT private?

nope
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

An example - I buy a car and park it on a city lot without permission, that does not entitle the city to destroy or damage my car.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

Fancy wrote:An example - I buy a car and park it on a city lot without permission, that does not entitle the city to destroy or damage my car.

it does entitle the city to remove the car at your expense. This removal includes risk of damage and the city would not pay a penny should the tow truck driver screw up your car.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

gman313 wrote:it does entitle the city to remove the car at your expense.

Exactly - removal. It does not entitle the public to deliberately damage the property belonging to someone else.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

Fancy wrote:Exactly - removal. It does not entitle the public to deliberately damage the property belonging to someone else.

agreed - probably more an indication of the posters frustration with the lack of action to get this done than an actual threat but one never knows in this city anymore.
Ejnaril

Post by Ejnaril »

Shining a spotlight on the flagrant and widespread flouting of foreshore access will do far more than any property destruction ever will. You're playing right into their hands by engaging in, or entertaining the idea of, such activity.
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

I would also like to take the shores back too, however the way that I look at it is if we don't build more public docks and boat launches there will be no place for the boats to park.
Plus The chances are that the rich will still build the illegal docks, making them harder and more expensive to dismantle.

So I have 2 simple questions.
1. Are you, as taxpayers willing to fork over the money for these docks?
2. Is there another simple, affordable alternative for them?
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

stuphoto wrote:I would also like to take the shores back too, however the way that I look at it is if we don't build more public docks and boat launches there will be no place for the boats to park.
Plus The chances are that the rich will still build the illegal docks, making them harder and more expensive to dismantle.

So I have 2 simple questions.
1. Are you, as taxpayers willing to fork over the money for these docks?
2. Is there another simple, affordable alternative for them?

um why should taxpayers be on the hook for docks in public spaces. These docks are a luxury not a necessity. There are plenty of marinas around and anyone is welcome to start a marina up if they have the cash

Most boats have anchors and smaller ones can be beached no problem, floating buoys anchored by concrete in the water are a viable solution as well.

plus, docks are still permitted - access along the foreshore simply needs to be maintained.
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

gman313 wrote:
um why should taxpayers be on the hook for docks in public spaces. These docks are a luxury not a necessity. There are plenty of marinas around and anyone is welcome to start a marina up if they have the cash

Most boats have anchors and smaller ones can be beached no problem, floating buoys anchored by concrete in the water are a viable solution as well.

plus, docks are still permitted - access along the foreshore simply needs to be maintained.

Have you seen it when all the ugly houseboats were ancored along the shore for months at a time.
In my opinion was was worst than the existing problem.

Plus the personal docks I have seen are often fenced in removing our lake access.
spooker

Post by spooker »

Fancy wrote:Exactly - removal. It does not entitle the public to deliberately damage the property belonging to someone else.

Couldn't the OP of the sledgehammer and wirecutters idea have been suggesting removing the property? I think it'd be a lot more fun to remove the edifice in question and make the owners wonder ...

Return to “Central Okanagan”