Take back the foreshore

GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Take back the foreshore

Post by GordonH »

As I've said few times in other threads on this subject, I have absolutely no desire or want to walk along foreshore of Okanagan Lake. In those times I have, I do so in Okanagan Mountain Park.

By the way Hmmm one thing everyone should not be, is above the law.... money or little to none.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

^^^ of course all people should be law abiding. It just seems so many people are irritated about this subject and really it doesn’t affect most of them anyways. It’s just jealously as far as I can figure.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Hmmm wrote:^^^ of course all people should be law abiding. It just seems so many people are irritated about this subject and really it doesn’t affect most of them anyways. It’s just jealously as far as I can figure.

Just making sure that wasn't part of the advantages rich have over the poor comment.
Even though they still do, since they can afford higher end lawyers/firms.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
phasyluck
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by phasyluck »

Hmmm wrote:I'm sure most of you jealous whiners are happy, affluent people lost value in their nice lakeshore homes. Now you can sleep well tonight, knowing others are suffering.

PS: You never, for the most part would have ever needed to walk on those beaches anyways. As if there isn't enough nice beaches to enjoy. Yes there are exceptions, but really people only want what they can't have, its human nature and seeing a fence or a structure where you perceive to be your right to walk, makes you want to walk there even more. If it were empty to begin with , most people would have never desired to go there in the first place.

Rich people should have advantages over poor people. Why? If you don't know, you really have problems. I'm not talking about basic human rights btw.

You lost me at "suffering" haha....thanks for the laugh!!
Sure do love Rutland!!
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

Hmmm wrote:I'm sure most of you jealous whiners are happy, affluent people lost value in their nice lakeshore homes. Now you can sleep well tonight, knowing others are suffering.

PS: You never, for the most part would have ever needed to walk on those beaches anyways. As if there isn't enough nice beaches to enjoy. Yes there are exceptions, but really people only want what they can't have, its human nature and seeing a fence or a structure where you perceive to be your right to walk, makes you want to walk there even more. If it were empty to begin with , most people would have never desired to go there in the first place.

Rich people should have advantages over poor people. Why? If you don't know, you really have problems. I'm not talking about basic human rights btw.

Very well said.... :clapping: :clapping: couldn't agree more!
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

suffering ??..LOL

this problem isn't new and it was getting worse over the decades...none of us (rich or poor) have the right to claim land that isn't ours...

and rebuilding anything that is destroyed up to new guidelines and codes is pretty common....

as for property values being lost...don't worry, lakeshore property here always goes up..always..the "affluent" people will be just fine..
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

W105 wrote:suffering ??..LOL

I’ll put you on the extremely jeolous category. The fact that you Lol with the thought of well off people suffering is exactly the problem. With some poor, uneducated underachievers , the thought that people with wealth cannot suffer or couldn’t possibly have suffering just shows really how uninformed some really are. People are people. Money doesn’t change feelings nor does it change emotions. All people hurt. Nobody likes to lose a lot of money on investments, rich or underachieving ignorant people included.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

GordonH wrote:As I've said few times in other threads on this subject, I have absolutely no desire or want to walk along foreshore of Okanagan Lake. In those times I have, I do so in Okanagan Mountain Park.

By the way Hmmm one thing everyone should not be, is above the law.... money or little to none.

Where do you walk the foreshore of Okanagan Mountain Park?
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

Hmmm wrote:
W105 wrote:suffering ??..LOL

I’ll put you on the extremely jeolous category. The fact that you Lol with the thought of well off people suffering is exactly the problem. With some poor, uneducated underachievers , the thought that people with wealth cannot suffer or couldn’t possibly have suffering just shows really how uninformed some really are. People are people. Money doesn’t change feelings nor does it change emotions. All people hurt. Nobody likes to lose a lot of money on investments, rich or underachieving ignorant people included.

People want others to hurt and suffer to take away from their own failings, inadequacies, and insecurities.

Swamp people.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

:-X :topic:
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Hmmm wrote:^^^ of course all people should be law abiding. It just seems so many people are irritated about this subject and really it doesn’t affect most of them anyways. It’s just jealously as far as I can figure.

What you’ve stated bothers me. The fact that (at this point) you have 3 likes also does.

When someone does something wrong, illegal or whatever, the test for another to be “irritated” shouldn’t be whether or not the act “affected” them. That, is apathy.

I’ve met many like you, sadly there is no shortage.

It irritates me that these lake dwellers take control of foreshore they don’t have a right to
It irritates me that some wealthy corporations earn millions while they pay their employees poverty wages
It irritates me that these same corporations manufacture their products in deplorable conditions in third world countries
It irritates me that even our own hospitals contract out services, ultimately resulting in poverty wages for services

The list goes on. But, in your world these wrongs don’t affect me so I shouldn’t be irritated.

I guess I’m irritated because I’m jealous.

At least three others agree with you, sad.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

there was a flood that affected MANY properties...some of the less "desirable" property owners suffered huge losses too..and some of the people affected by the flooding were just renters (some with no insurance) who not only lost their personal property, but their rental home (and finding a new rental in this town is darn near impossible) and I bet the owners of those properties (losing their rental income) are "suffering" a tad more, if we're gaging the level of "suffering"..

just because a lakeshore property owner that had a dock and a boathouse can't rebuild it exactly the way it was, is not the end of the world..

but let's remember that they can still rebuild their docks..

I am not a "swamp" person nor am I jealous....pin pointing the "suffering" to one group of people just seems a bit dramatic when there are many who got hit hard because of the flooding...

(there was a RV Park in Summerland where the tenants had NO electricity for many mths and had to spend hundreds of dollars a week (one woman said it was costing her out of pocket $65 every 2 days) for gas for their generators to be able to live and stay in their homes..and insurance will not recover those costs for them
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

Let's stop for a second and take another look at the article:

Many Okanagan homeowners took a financial hit in the wake of the region’s near-historic flooding earlier this year, but for property owners with specially protected or "grandfathered" private docks, that hit was a little harder.

The provincial government estimates as many as 1,500 docks were damaged or destroyed as a result of the flooding, but, as a recent report from Vantage West Realty suggests, the destruction of irreplaceable docks on lakeshore properties has meant a significant drop in property values.

For more on why some old docks can't be replaced, check out the full story on Castanet's sister business news website, Okanagan Edge.

Frankly, all I see is a hot button topic used to trigger a response promote a realty company and Castanet's business page. This isn't news - it's the new way of advertising. As I stated earlier - of course a property's value would drop if it no longer has a dock. I don't need a "report" from a realtor to explain that - it's common sense. The docks can, and will be rebuilt.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

WalterWhite wrote:Frankly, all I see is a hot button topic used to trigger a response promote a realty company and Castanet's business page. This isn't news - it's the new way of advertising. As I stated earlier - of course a property's value would drop if it no longer has a dock. I don't need a "report" from a realtor to explain that - it's common sense. The docks can, and will be rebuilt.

Nobody has said the docks can’t be rebuilt, but they will be rebuilt in line with the current law. Which a segment of the population, regard as an unfairness.

Theses homeowners have been relying on the principle of “grandfathering”.

There are many cases where grandfathering is reasonable. For example many older homes were built following archaic building codes, with materials, that in some cases are banned from use today. Our laws don’t require that these homes be renovated, but if major changes are undertaken these currently illegal building practices must then be remediated.

This same principle is relied on and allowed when properties actually infringe on the rights of all. A misuse, IMO, of that concession.

Some of these “pillars of the community” are not beyond infringing on the rights of the general public by means of a loophole.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

bottom line build your new docks to code people, that simple
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell

Return to “Central Okanagan”