Take back the foreshore

Re: Take back the foreshore

Postby Straight Shooter » Aug 29th, 2017, 6:46 am

Remember back years ago about the Sutherland Bay fiasco with boats being moored in the Bay? What was thought to be Federal waters issue all of a sudden became a City of Kelowna and a West Kelowna issue. It wasn't that long until by-law orders were written up and enforced and the boats were no longer allowed. It's always been known that by-law infractions are complaint driven and that's when by-law officers are usually called into enforce these laws. The ball is in the City of Kelowna court to make sure no illegal docks are being built without the proper permits handed out by the BC Government. The protest walk along the beaches this past weekend made it perfectly clear that the public wants the City of Kelowna to take action against these violators!

2 people like this post.
Straight Shooter
Board Meister

Liked in: 234 posts

Postby ranger49 » Aug 29th, 2017, 5:46 pm

I have some rural lake front property in the kootenays, it's boat access only and our neighbor tried to build without a permit. The government blew it up with dynamite before it was finished. Didn't even last one summer. Another had his unpermitted dock removed.

I'm no expert on foreshore law but I have read up on it, as well as looked at property markings on frontcounterBC.

Seems like it's an interpretation problem around the foreshore verbiage and what happens when erosion destroys the foreshore and the lake intrudes on private property. With the government/lawyers/builders siding with the property owners.

My layman interpretation of the law carries no weight, but I do believe those people were most likely trespassing at some point on their walk. The video clearly shows them stepping on and over a broken dock that, looks to be damaged and hazardous. There was more than enough space for them to walk around (within code) but they chose to walk across the damaged/dangerous property that didn't belong to them. Poor form.

If you're going to make a statement like this, it's best to be certain that you're being lawful and respectful.

The people that are making this fight should at the very least have someone with some authority or experience with foreshore law on their side. But they don't or at least no one vocal. Any official word has quickly dismissed it(from what i've seen), and this isn't because of some conspiracy by the rich to steal the beach away.

If your dead set on a beach walk I suggest you start at Cader and walk north to city park, It's more than 2km round trip. It would be nice to be able to have an unbroken beach for a longer stretch no doubt, unfortunately mother nature didn't make it so.

ranger

2 people like this post.
ranger49

Liked in: 3 posts

Postby maryjane48 » Aug 30th, 2017, 10:31 am

there should be public paths what ever on every lake on crown land . if home owners want a dock they can build it their back yard to look at :130:
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 2486 posts

Postby spooker » Sep 5th, 2017, 8:00 am

Heard an interesting story about a woman breaking her wrist during the walk when they had to go over some boulders placed by a property owner ... they went to the RCMP to lodge a complaint who said it was a bylaw issue ... went to bylaw who then directed them back to the RCMP with the recommendation of classifying it as "mischief" ... no confirmation could be found through the local news channels but was wondering if anyone else had heard anything ...
--
Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. -- Plato

maryjane48 likes this post.
spooker
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 468 posts

Postby LTD » Sep 5th, 2017, 10:55 am

just kinda curious how you or anyone else knows they were placed there by the property owner
LTD
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1868 posts

Postby spooker » Sep 5th, 2017, 11:51 am

LTD wrote:just kinda curious how you or anyone else knows they were placed there by the property owner

From what I gather, they were in a line at the edge of the property and went from the backyard down to the foreshore ... not what one would consider a "natural" formation ... if I get more information or confirmation I'll post it ...
--
Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. -- Plato
spooker
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 468 posts

Postby Ken7 » Sep 5th, 2017, 8:17 pm

spooker wrote:Heard an interesting story about a woman breaking her wrist during the walk when they had to go over some boulders placed by a property owner ... they went to the RCMP to lodge a complaint who said it was a bylaw issue ... went to bylaw who then directed them back to the RCMP with the recommendation of classifying it as "mischief" ... no confirmation could be found through the local news channels but was wondering if anyone else had heard anything ...

I wonder what he lawyer said and how it will end in court.

I would suspect if a land owner has placed a obstacle on public property they may be liable civilly.
Ken7
Guru

Liked in: 1937 posts

Postby LANDM » Sep 6th, 2017, 12:44 am

Ken7 wrote:
spooker wrote:Heard an interesting story about a woman breaking her wrist during the walk when they had to go over some boulders placed by a property owner ... they went to the RCMP to lodge a complaint who said it was a bylaw issue ... went to bylaw who then directed them back to the RCMP with the recommendation of classifying it as "mischief" ... no confirmation could be found through the local news channels but was wondering if anyone else had heard anything ...

I wonder what he lawyer said and how it will end in court.

I would suspect if a land owner has placed a obstacle on public property they may be liable civilly.

Proving it would likely not be a trivial matter.
LANDM
Guru

Liked in: 2344 posts

Postby wanderer » Sep 13th, 2017, 3:11 pm

wanderer
Board Meister

Liked in: 258 posts

Postby maryjane48 » Sep 13th, 2017, 4:42 pm

wanderer wrote:Message for lakeshore owners
https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2017FLNR0286-001572

it is about time the free ride was over :up:

3 people like this post.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 2486 posts

Postby the truth » Sep 13th, 2017, 5:48 pm

yup, its about time :smt045
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
the truth
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 4288 posts

Postby Bsuds » Sep 13th, 2017, 7:01 pm

I wonder how many will comply or have already started without proper authorization.

2 people like this post.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Liked in: 8879 posts

Postby the truth » Sep 13th, 2017, 7:30 pm

Bsuds wrote:I wonder how many will comply or have already started without proper authorization.

imo many will not comply and many will start without proper authorization
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
the truth
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 4288 posts

Postby Fancy » Sep 29th, 2017, 8:44 am

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#207785

First, there are sprinkler systems that are used (around ponds for example) to keep geese off.
Second, is there some reason why someone can't walk around this particular dock?

file:///C:/Users/Greg/Downloads/private_moorage_general_permission%20(1).pdf

cv23 likes this post.
Fancy
The Pilgrim

Liked in: 4789 posts

Postby dogspoiler » Sep 29th, 2017, 9:00 am

Fancy wrote:https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-207785-1-.htm#207785

First, there are sprinkler systems that are used (around ponds for example) to keep geese off.
Second, is there some reason why someone can't walk around this particular dock?

file:///C:/Users/Greg/Downloads/private_moorage_general_permission%20(1).pdf

Fancy, if someone was to walk around the dock they would most likely get very wet.
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 1927 posts

PreviousNext

Return to Central Okanagan