Tragic-RV-Death

Tragic-RV-Death

Postby catgaypar » Aug 28th, 2017, 4:27 pm

I have to ask what the heck is a 93 yr old doing driving a motor home?!? Driving at all for that matter?!? :200:

We tried for 5 yrs to have our father's license revoked without success. Even the Doctor requested an assessment.
After 5 yrs of nagging/reporting, at 89 they finally called him in for an assessment - guess what - he did not pass.

I understand the lose of the independence must be difficult but living with causing a death must be far harder.
catgaypar

Liked in: 0 post

Re: Tragic-RV-Death

Postby WalterWhite » Aug 28th, 2017, 4:33 pm

I don't think you can just blanket decide what someone can and can't do based solely on age. Yes, there are drivers in their 70's/80's and even 90's that should have driving assessments done annually, however some drivers in their 80's are way better drivers than some in their 20's/30's/40's. This is truly a tragedy - and until more info is presented, it's pretty much impossible to say what the cause was. May have been his partner that simply walked into the wrong place at the wrong time unseen. Sometimes accidents simply do happen.

2 people like this post.
WalterWhite
Übergod

Liked in: 1235 posts

Postby LTD » Aug 28th, 2017, 4:52 pm

catgaypar wrote:I have to ask what the heck is a 93 yr old doing driving a motor home?!? Driving at all for that matter?!? :200:

We tried for 5 yrs to have our father's license revoked without success. Even the Doctor requested an assessment.
After 5 yrs of nagging/reporting, at 89 they finally called him in for an assessment - guess what - he did not pass.

I understand the lose of the independence must be difficult but living with causing a death must be far harder.

this is tragic and I feel terrible for this person but who are you to decide if he should or shouldn't be driving at 93 he could be completely competent more than likely she was guiding him into a spot and tripped and fell he lost sight of her and .......this exact scenario happened to someone I know he died of a broken heart not long after very sad
LTD
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1868 posts

Postby GordonH » Aug 28th, 2017, 4:55 pm

I can only imagine what must be going through drivers mind right now.

My condolences on your loss, as well to the Family and Friends.

I leave the rest up to RCMP to figure out.

7 people like this post.
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 5576 posts
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Postby Loki2u » Aug 28th, 2017, 5:05 pm

catgaypar wrote:I have to ask what the heck is a 93 yr old doing driving a motor home?!? Driving at all for that matter?!? :200:

Senior drivers are required to undergo a medical examination every two years after the age of 80 to determine their ability and eligibility to drive. http://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/trans ... or-drivers

While I'm inclined to agree a 93 year old senior probably isn't the best idea behind the wheel, as long as they are legally able to drive as deemed fit by their DMER....then it's really none of my business.

Another perspective and some stats: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.3004378
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your INFORMED opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant. -Harlan Ellison-
Loki2u
Fledgling

Liked in: 293 posts

Postby kingsandman » Aug 28th, 2017, 7:25 pm

Where does it say he even has a license?
Maybe she drove it there and he wasn't happy with how it was parked?
They clearly state he was repositioning it when it happened.
Sometimes people are stubborn and insist on getting involved or "doing it themselves".
How do we know that's not the case here??
Regardless, tragic as it can get.
Model citizen......zero discipline.

4 people like this post.
kingsandman
Übergod

Liked in: 377 posts

Postby dirtybiker » Aug 28th, 2017, 10:14 pm

kingsandman.
Too logical and not nearly controversial enough for this board.

Clearly a no win situation for all involved.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"

2 people like this post.
dirtybiker
Guru

Liked in: 1420 posts

Postby dogspoiler » Aug 29th, 2017, 7:09 am

Common sense says that when someone is moving a vehicle in a tight spot bystanders should not put them selves in a position to get hit.
It's natural to point fingers after an incident like this, that's what the coroners inquest is for.
I have been to a few inquests for accidental deaths, and many accident investigations.
Most of those incidents could have been avoided if the injured party had been more careful and aware of the dangers around them.
Stay Alert, Stay Alive.
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 1927 posts

Postby the truth » Aug 29th, 2017, 7:52 am

i know a 87 year old senior in this town who drives better that most of the people i see driving out there everyday
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell

lightspeed likes this post.
the truth
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 4288 posts

Postby alishaklassen » Aug 29th, 2017, 9:02 am

How horribly sad. I imagine that at their age camping isn't as easy as it once was and that they must have loved it. It is so awful to see a couple doing the things they love together become a tragedy. My sincerest condolences to the families and the partner.

3 people like this post.
alishaklassen

Liked in: 9 posts

Postby 60-YEARS-in-Ktown » Aug 29th, 2017, 9:06 am

There is a few women that use the C word too much..
Can't back up a trailer..
Can't park the truck..
Can't back up the van..
Can't do this because if you complain loud enough someone does it for you..
So you keep saying cant..
But one day, knowing some of those things can make a big difference..
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??

3 people like this post.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 1477 posts

Postby dogspoiler » Aug 29th, 2017, 9:09 am

alishaklassen wrote:How horribly sad. I imagine that at their age camping isn't as easy as it once was and that they must have loved it. It is so awful to see a couple doing the things they love together become a tragedy. My sincerest condolences to the families and the partner.

It would be difficult to say it better.

3 people like this post.
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 1927 posts

Postby Grandan » Aug 29th, 2017, 4:37 pm

dogspoiler wrote:Common sense says that when someone is moving a vehicle in a tight spot bystanders should not put them selves in a position to get hit.
It's natural to point fingers after an incident like this, that's what the coroners inquest is for.
I have been to a few inquests for accidental deaths, and many accident investigations.
Most of those incidents could have been avoided if the injured party had been more careful and aware of the dangers around them.
Stay Alert, Stay Alive.

I have to wonder that if thhe needed to reposition the unit that the other person should have been helping guide the driver rather than getting in the way, some of those units have no rearward visibility whatsoever so they probably were in a blind spot but this is all speculation on my part, possibly he hit the gas instead of the brake? Remember the rule, if you can't see my mirror then I cannot see you.
Waste not

Bsuds likes this post.
Grandan
Übergod

Liked in: 544 posts

Return to Central Okanagan