Attempted break-in in broad daylight today

Powerteach

Attempted break-in in broad daylight today

Post by Powerteach »

While at home today, around noon, in North Glenmore my doorbell rang several times in a row. I was not going to answer it. It rang again several times. Thinking it was a neighbour or friend, I went to the door and looked out the peep hole. It was a man. I did not know him and decided not to answer my door.
I saw the guy go around to the side, through the gate, and thought he was a worker and was looking at something for our strata. He started knocking on my back door. One that no one ever knocks on.
I went upstairs and when I came back down minutes later, he was knocking again. I was frozen in my hallway.
Then I started hearing him trying to pry the door open. I called 911 and prepared to leave out of the front door.
When connected to the police I got the "All of our operators are busy at this time" message! I waited and then my call was dropped.
The man left shortly after. The landscapers even saw the guy walk out of the complex. They thought he was just going for a walk.
The police did come, and set out with dogs and in their vehicles. Several hours later I received a phone call. There were several other attempted break ins in our area. There was one before mine and at least one after mine. Also, someone got a picture of the guy.
Was that you? Did you experience an attempted break in in North Glenmore today in the late morning or early afternoon?
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Re: Attempted break-in in broad daylight today

Post by Catsumi »

How awful and scary.

If you had at home a little kid who likes to answer the door and did, the intruder could have robbed, raped and run. Or kill.
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
gsc
Board Meister

Post by gsc »

Scary stuff. We have had a couple times where people have tried breaking into our home or garage. Never in full daylight though. Thats a whole new kind of crazy. Hope the cops got him and you can rest easy.
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by youjustcomplain »

Catsumi wrote:How awful and scary.

If you had at home a little kid who likes to answer the door and did, the intruder could have robbed, raped and run. Or kill.

Sure, that could have happened. It could also happen in a park, or in the grocery store. No need to build up the anxiety or fears. The guy was knocking on the door relentlessly. I'd bet that if someone answered, he'd have a backup plan, like... maybe he'd be trying to sell something, or maybe offering a fake service. Either way, I suspect that he wouldn't be hitting random houses if he's looking to rob and rape. He'd just be looking for an easy "nobody home" type of B&E.
Mark1111
Board Meister

Post by Mark1111 »

Daylight B&Es seem pretty common. We had a break-in middle of the afternoon on a Thursday. Kick in a side basement door, take a few laptops and tools and they are bolting down the road to the nearest skel to sell them. My neighbour even admitted hearing a loud noise (probably the door being kicked in) but couldn't be bothered to check it out.
If you want to test a man's character, give him power.
A. Lincoln

Return to “Central Okanagan”