The fine should have been more

cubafreak
Board Meister

The fine should have been more

Post by cubafreak »

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#205427
it should have been a bigger fine in my mind...the one he got and an additional one for the lack of brain cells or for thinking that he would be believed that he didn't know about the fire ban
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Re: The fine should have been more

Post by Catsumi »

Yes! I agree.

There were TWO nitwits, not just ONE, so fine should be $1150.00 each for $$2300.00 total.

So, why not? Why was the second fine overlooked? :cuss:

They just breed like rabbits!! :200:
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

Anyone that has, or is contemplating venturing into the backcountry, or even just slightly off the beaten track - would have to have been living under a rock for the past two months not to be aware of a province-wide fire ban. Ticketed accordingly.
gsc
Board Meister

Post by gsc »

This is clearly just a shear lack of disrespect. Everyone knows about the fire bans even my 9 year old son. I for one am sick of seeing the little slap on the wrist fines handed out. I bet if the fines where $2500 with a one year max to pay or jail time people might think twice. The same should go with smoke butt flickers and if you dont pay the large fine you can't renew you Insurance.
Opeeved
Fledgling

Post by Opeeved »

*removed*

Does the article say where they are from? No? Then advocating a fine greater than a thousand $$ is crap. Want more than than that? Take it to court.
It's a huge country and I don't expect my Canadian citizens to know everything just like I don't know everything going on in Halifax.

Maybe they don't care. Did they start a fire? No? If they did they'd be the first to die. *removed*

Gotta love this crap. :)
Last edited by ferri on Aug 30th, 2017, 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: baiting
This post was brought to you, by, the letter F, Q and the number 8
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

Opeeved wrote:*removed*

Does the article say where they are from? No? Then advocating a fine greater than a thousand $$ is crap. Want more than than that? Take it to court.
It's a huge country and I don't expect my Canadian citizens to know everything just like I don't know everything going on in Halifax.

Maybe they don't care. Did they start a fire? No? If they did they'd be the first to die. *removed*

If I'm going to plan a backcountry hiking/camping trip in Halifax living in Kelowna - I would sure as hell look into such matters as campfire bans. Furthermore, I have relatives on the far east coast - and they are fully aware of the incredible conditions we've experienced here this fire season - and were actually under the impression much more of the province had burned than what has actually been affected. This fire season has been national news for some time. Ignorance is not bliss. *removed*
Last edited by ferri on Aug 30th, 2017, 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Making it personal
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

Opeeved wrote:*removed*

Give your head a shake. We don't need this clueless, ignorant vermin in our communities.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
gsc
Board Meister

Post by gsc »

Really. I guess you didn't read the article either. Here is what a part of it says

"Plamondon says he's skeptical the pair didn't know about the ban, as there was a sign at the entrance to the campsite and the ban, which has been in place since early July, has been widely publicized."

They either don't care or clearly can't read. $2500 fine for each and if there not from here then they should also be lucky they are aloud back.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Q: What happens if I have a fire when a prohibition is in place?

A: Anyone found in contravention of a fire prohibition may be fined up to $1,150. If your fire escapes and results in a wildfire, you may be fined anywhere from $100,000 to $1 million and be sentenced to one year in prison.

http://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/safet ... strictions

Can't increase the fines just because.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Maybe I've been inhaling too much smoke and ash to remember correctly, but wasn't there some provision that stated EACH person around the campfire was eligible for the $1150.00 fine?

If wrong, ok. But if not, both should have been whacked in the wallet.
:130:
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

may be fined up to
"may" and "up to" are the key words here
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Okay, got it.

It's at the discretion of the officer attending whether he will write ticket for one OR two persons

Thanks
:biggrin:

Unknown
Temet Nosce
Board Meister

Post by Temet Nosce »

Would have liked to see a picture publicized along with higher fines. Send a message to those that believe the rules don't apply to them. Find myself wondering what those who have lost their homes would say is an appropriate penalty.
Opeeved
Fledgling

Post by Opeeved »

Wadr ;) haha the way you see it
Temet, sending messages via courts doesn't work imo. It only wrecks one person's life. If sending messages worked? There wouldn't be many in prison.
This post was brought to you, by, the letter F, Q and the number 8
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

Catsumi wrote:Maybe I've been inhaling too much smoke and ash to remember correctly, but wasn't there some provision that stated EACH person around the campfire was eligible for the $1150.00 fine?

If wrong, ok. But if not, both should have been whacked in the wallet.
:130:

The people concerned were in their tent, not around the fire so one of them could argue that they thought the other person had extinguished the fire or really only one person could be charged with an unattended fire.
Waste not

Return to “Central Okanagan”