Rapist Released In Okanagan

chell90

Rapist Released In Okanagan

Post by chell90 »

From reading this article, this man did some insane crap, including sexually assaulting a 11 year old??!!!!!
First of all, this article kind of gives me the idea he just asked the judge to go in this halfway housing... And I am actually in tears that it says clearly: "Abrosimo was known to frequent "crack houses," and according to the parole board decision, he "demonstrated a pattern of persistent and escalating violent behaviour.""
Isn't jail meant for people like this?? What happened to actually doing time??? And NOT rewarding people for this kind of behavior????!!
And from the perspective of someone who was sexually assaulted at a young age... This is society going backwards. This man does not seem to deserve any kind of conditional release. I have the feeling that this judge is pretty much allowing this man into a situation that allows him to re-offend. It's disturbing.. Sexual assault of a developing child is life altering and can lead to a life-long struggle of PTSD.
It really bothers me that the judge would give him that chance, and although there is only 1 change that is 1 more person that could have their life ruined.
I've known that this place existed and I do believe that certain people do deserve a second chance and rehab :-X . This article gives me very little hope that this guy won't re-offend :-X
ferri
Forum Administrator

Re: Rapist Released In Okanagan

Post by ferri »

“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by youjustcomplain »

I agree.

It makes me wonder what sentence Hitler would have been given (for his war crimes) if he was Canadian. 2 years in jail, let out after 1 year and now allowed to murder Jews for 2 years?

It's just got to the point of stupidity. This guy attacked and raped a woman at gun point then did it again to an 11 year old, aswell as his other priors. He should never be released. One attack on one person is bad enough for 20 years IMO. Add a second person and it should be life. I'd sort of like to see people like this guy spend 18 hour days knitting sweaters. Once the sweater is knitted, someone has to check it for flaws, and once no flaws are found, the sweater should be tossed into an incinerator while he watches his hard work get destroyed. Then, he does it again. This should be his future until he dies. If he puts those sewing needles in his neck before a natural death, then our jail system saves some money.

I've had enough with the light sentencing and violent offenders rejoining society. I'm all for a 1 strike rule. You do something horrible once, and you MIGHT get a second chance. Do two horrible things and say good bye to everyone you know as sooner or later, you'll stick a sewing needle in your neck.
soupy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by soupy »

:(

Such a waste of taxpayer money keeping this guy alive. Not to mention he is using precious air that others deserve ...
Temet Nosce
Board Meister

Post by Temet Nosce »

This.... "The same year, he used his van to hit two children, 11 and 15, who were riding their bikes. He forced the 11 year old victim into his van, gagged her, threw a blanket over her head, drove her to a different location and sexually assaulted her" SHOULD have been attempted murder in addition to the sexual assaults, kidnapping, etc. etc. warranting a MUCH longer sentence.
And before someone tells me... I know the criteria for attempted murder...don't care it still should be and our system needs to be overhauled for a crime like this to be considered attempted murder and sentenced accordingly IMO.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

...why do the requirements for being designated a "dangerous offender" not apply?...
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

chell90 wrote:From reading this article, this man did some insane crap, including sexually assaulting a 11 year old??!!!!!
First of all, this article kind of gives me the idea he just asked the judge to go in this halfway housing... And I am actually in tears that it says clearly: "Abrosimo was known to frequent "crack houses," and according to the parole board decision, he "demonstrated a pattern of persistent and escalating violent behaviour.""
Isn't jail meant for people like this?? What happened to actually doing time??? And NOT rewarding people for this kind of behavior????!!
And from the perspective of someone who was sexually assaulted at a young age... This is society going backwards. This man does not seem to deserve any kind of conditional release. I have the feeling that this judge is pretty much allowing this man into a situation that allows him to re-offend. It's disturbing.. Sexual assault of a developing child is life altering and can lead to a life-long struggle of PTSD.
It really bothers me that the judge would give him that chance, and although there is only 1 change that is 1 more person that could have their life ruined.
I've known that this place existed and I do believe that certain people do deserve a second chance and rehab :-X . This article gives me very little hope that this guy won't re-offend :-X

Granted we are at the mercy of likely very inaccurate media coverage and in the lease very incomplete media coverage, BUT.

I don't see where a judge is giving the accused a "conditional sentence". The offenses were committed in 2004 and he is serving a "14 year, 4 month sentence".

The news article doesn't tell us what, if anything the crown did with respect to asking the courts to rule this "thing" a dangerous offender. Without that ruling, this "thing" should have been release on "statutory release" after serving 2/3 of his sentence, at around 9 1/2 years.

So there's a big part of the story missing, this guy, if he hasn't been declared a dangerous offender should have been out a long time ago.

This leaves me to believe what's missing is that he was, he has now served almost all his full sentence and the judge has released in on a type of "faint hope clause", giving him "a chance".

So we only have part of the story, thanks media.

Perhaps there is a nice halfway house close to the judge's home or the home of one of the judge's relatives.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Temet Nosce
Board Meister

Post by Temet Nosce »

Temet Nosce
Board Meister

Post by Temet Nosce »

In July of 2005, the Crown on behalf of the Attorney General for British Columbia initiated dangerous offender proceedings pursuant to section 753 of the Criminal Code and applied pursuant to section 752.1 for a Psychiatric or Psychological Assessment of Mr. Abrosimo.  I granted the Assessment Order on July 22, 2005 and the report of Dr. Elisabeth Zoffmann was filed November 1, 2005.  On March 29, 2006, the Attorney General consented to file an application that Mr. Abrosimo be declared a long-term offender pursuant to section 753.1. 
[3]        In determining the Crown’s long-term offender application and appropriate sentence for Mr. Abrosimo in this case, I must consider the following:
a.         The particulars of the current offences;
b.         Mr. Abrosimo’s previous history and convictions for sexual and other criminal offences as well as his conduct both while incarcerated and while under supervision in the community;
c.         whether the Crown has established that the current offences and Mr. Abrosimo’s prior offending meet the necessary preliminary criteria under section 753.1 of the Code so that he may be sentenced as a long-term offender;
d.         psychological evaluations concerning prospects for Mr. Abrosimo’s cure or eventual treatment and his risk of re-offending;
e.         whether the Crown has established Mr. Abrosimo’s pattern of conduct is at least eventually controllable in the community; and
f.         the appropriate sentence to be imposed upon Mr. Abrosimo.

http://www.provincialcourt.bc.ca/judgme ... n/bc/bcpc/

As I read them what distinguishes the long-term offender provisions from the dangerous offender provisions is the absence of the requirement that the pattern or conduct of the offender be substantially or pathologically intractable, and that if the offender has any treatable condition it will be of such a kind that it must be, if not curable, at least eventually controllable in the community.
Thus the long-term offender provisions may apply to an offender who does not meet the dangerous offender criteria because his or her pattern of conduct is not so intractable that it will not eventually be controllable in the community within the time frame established by a fixed sentence accompanied by a 10-year period of probation.

Having regard to the existence of a reasonable possibility of eventual control in the community of the risk presented by Mr. Abrosimo, I am satisfied beyond a reasonable doubt that a long-term supervision order is appropriate.
Temet Nosce
Board Meister

Post by Temet Nosce »

After reviewing the above, the sentencing judge imposed the harshest sentence she could under the criminal code and the court of appeal up held it--nothing more the courts could do as they must follow the federal legislation (CCoC) that sets out the law and procedure in criminal cases.
Although I would argue the dangerous offender status should have been imposed (probably would have been successfully appealed though) because it appears from what was in front of her he met the criteria for long term offender vs. DO.

This case was tried in June 2006....

On October 17, 2006, the Canadian government introduced legislation that made it easier for Crown prosecutors to obtain dangerous offender designations. The amendments provide, among other things, that an offender found guilty of a third conviction of a designated violent or sexual offence must prove that he or she does not qualify as a dangerous offender.[4] This legislation was passed in 2008. Under previous legislation, the Crown had to prove that the individual qualified as a dangerous offender. The amendment reverses the onus for individuals convicted of three violent offences. Such individuals must now demonstrate to a court that despite the three convictions, they should not be designated as dangerous offenders.

Under the new legislation he likely would have been deemed a DO.
Okay back to work...
Temet Nosce
Board Meister

Post by Temet Nosce »

my5cents wrote:
chell90 wrote:From reading this article, this man did some insane crap, including sexually assaulting a 11 year old??!!!!!

Granted we are at the mercy of likely very inaccurate media coverage and in the lease very incomplete media coverage, BUT.

I don't see where a judge is giving the accused a "conditional sentence". The offenses were committed in 2004 and he is serving a "14 year, 4 month sentence".

The news article doesn't tell us what, if anything the crown did with respect to asking the courts to rule this "thing" a dangerous offender. Without that ruling, this "thing" should have been release on "statutory release" after serving 2/3 of his sentence, at around 9 1/2 years.

So there's a big part of the story missing, this guy, if he hasn't been declared a dangerous offender should have been out a long time ago.

This leaves me to believe what's missing is that he was, he has now served almost all his full sentence and the judge has released in on a type of "faint hope clause", giving him "a chance".

So we only have part of the story, thanks media.

Perhaps there is a nice halfway house close to the judge's home or the home of one of the judge's relatives.

After reading more on this case...I would wish for a half way house close to those on the PB who released him early.

http://www.cloverdalereporter.com/news/ ... way-house/
Lore
Übergod

Post by Lore »

Anyone know where the halfway houses are in Kelowna so if I'm driving by
there I can take notice and see if I see this guy outside.Would like to know if he's in Kelowna.
I know of one halfway house that is on Chandler but there must be others.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Thank you, Temet Nosce, for all your hard work.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

Lore wrote:Anyone know where the halfway houses are in Kelowna so if I'm driving by
there I can take notice and see if I see this guy outside.Would like to know if he's in Kelowna.
I know of one halfway house that is on Chandler but there must be others.

Aren't the new gate apartments on Rutland rd a halfway house?
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
Lore
Übergod

Post by Lore »

Bman wrote:Aren't the new gate apartments on Rutland rd a halfway house?

Your right, that's the one close to Hwy 33 I think.
I forgot about that one.
There must be more though.

Return to “Central Okanagan”