47957
47869

BC Liberals nominate Ben Stewart

Re: BC Liberals nominate Ben Stewart

Postby rustled » Sep 3rd, 2017, 8:27 pm

Do we know who he will be running against?
rustled
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 4332
Likes: 5406 posts
Liked in: 4356 posts
Joined: Dec 26th, 2010, 12:47 pm

Re: BC Liberals nominate Ben Stewart

Postby Old Techie » Sep 3rd, 2017, 9:00 pm

rustled wrote:Do we know who he will be running against?


Probably another BCTF administrator wannabe, if NDP history plays any sort of role. :biggrin:
"Fools multiply when wise men are silent!" - Nelson Mandela

3 people like this post.
User avatar
Old Techie
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2169
Likes: 1770 posts
Liked in: 2944 posts
Joined: Apr 27th, 2013, 2:47 pm

Re: BC Liberals nominate Ben Stewart

Postby Queen K » Sep 3rd, 2017, 9:49 pm

Gone_Fishin wrote:
Cactusflower wrote:Surprise, surprise! Guess they couldn't find anyone else foolish enough or egotistical enough to think the Okanagan electorate will continue to keep their heads buried in the sand forever.

Good old Ben stepped down last time in order to stroke Christy' ego. In return he got a plum position that required him to do nothing for a larger salary than he was getting as an MLA. Then just before this last election he resigns from his 'post'. Hmmm......could he have been forewarned about Christy' demise?


And the very best part is, he's going to whoop your NDP candidate's sorry butt in the by-election. Too bad so sad for the NDP clowns that keep thinking some union chump/chumpette has any chance against a smart, well-liked, hard-working businessman with strong family ties to the local area.


We'll see about that yet. Anything can happen.
The NDP Government: 2017 thread is not in the Bickering Room. Money can't buy what I want for Christmas.
User avatar
Queen K
Queen of the Castle
 
Posts: 48444
Likes: 8682 posts
Liked in: 9529 posts
Joined: Jan 31st, 2007, 11:39 am
Location: What? You mean here?

Re: BC Liberals nominate Ben Stewart

Postby Gone_Fishin » Sep 4th, 2017, 7:36 am

Queen K wrote:We'll see about that yet. Anything can happen.


Yeah, like the Peachland fire will extinguish itself in the next 3 minutes. But the smart bet would be 60% of the vote for Ben. The other 40% of voters are drunk.
When you're dead, you don't know you are dead. It is only difficult for the others.

It's the same when you are stupid.

2 people like this post.
User avatar
Gone_Fishin
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3563
Likes: 3234 posts
Liked in: 2086 posts
Joined: Sep 6th, 2006, 6:43 am

Re: BC Liberals nominate Ben Stewart

Postby Queen K » Sep 4th, 2017, 7:57 am

Gone_Fishin wrote:
Queen K wrote:We'll see about that yet. Anything can happen.


Yeah, like the Peachland fire will extinguish itself in the next 3 minutes. But the smart bet would be 60% of the vote for Ben. The other 40% of voters are drunk.


Again. The Peachland fire comment is hyperbole, and having nothing to do with what may be a tight race. The real bet is that all bets are off in this hotly debated topic.
The NDP Government: 2017 thread is not in the Bickering Room. Money can't buy what I want for Christmas.
User avatar
Queen K
Queen of the Castle
 
Posts: 48444
Likes: 8682 posts
Liked in: 9529 posts
Joined: Jan 31st, 2007, 11:39 am
Location: What? You mean here?

Re: BC Liberals nominate Ben Stewart

Postby WalterWhite » Sep 4th, 2017, 9:45 am

Gone_Fishin wrote:
Queen K wrote:We'll see about that yet. Anything can happen.


Yeah, like the Peachland fire will extinguish itself in the next 3 minutes. But the smart bet would be 60% of the vote for Ben. The other 40% of voters are drunk.


Queen K wrote:Again. The Peachland fire comment is hyperbole, and having nothing to do with what may be a tight race. The real bet is that all bets are off in this hotly debated topic.


Never say never - however Liberals aren't going to not vote for Ben simply because of his relinquishing his seat previously to Clarke, or because he's replacing her. Again, that's a common practice utilized by any and all parties.

Rwede likes this post.
WalterWhite
Übergod
 
Posts: 1159
Likes: 902 posts
Liked in: 1243 posts
Joined: Jan 31st, 2017, 3:56 pm

Re: BC Liberals nominate Ben Stewart

Postby LANDM » Sep 4th, 2017, 11:12 am

my5cents wrote:
LANDM wrote:To answer your questions:
The candidate has to show an affiliation to the party first....to get nominated. Then to the electorate, if they get elected.
The people who show up to vote in an election will determine who is deserving of being voted in.
No. The liberal party should not bear the costs, any more than the Ndp would in the same situation.


So while running, a candidate has no affiliation to the electorate ? "Then to the electorate, if they get elected" ???

In a lot of cases that is completely correct that a candidate has no affiliation to the electorate before they get elected, sadly many don't even after. That, is perhaps why they take resigning to let a leader run in their safe riding, so well.

So what about the candidate that, after being elected, crosses the floor, or sits as an independent ?

"The people who show up to vote..... will determine who is deserving to be voted in."
No, they determine who is elected, period.

My comments were directed at the Liberal party in this circumstance, because this involves Liberals, BUT my comments concerned every and all parties, so don't get your shirt in a knot.

Your comments, of course, are your opinions.


Why would my shirt be in a knot?
You are the one that asked the questions.....I simply answered them.
If you simply wanted certain answers, why not ask them and say that only certain answers would apply?

To answer your question above, I don't have a lot of respect for candidates that are elected on a platform or party, and then switch. They are not answering to the folks that elected them.

voice of reason likes this post.
LANDM
Guru
 
Posts: 5091
Likes: 1139 posts
Liked in: 2352 posts
Joined: Sep 18th, 2009, 10:58 am

Re: BC Liberals nominate Ben Stewart

Postby ferri » Sep 4th, 2017, 12:11 pm

*Do not start making this personal. :-X
“When someone is nasty or treats you poorly, don't take it personally. It says nothing about you, but a lot about them.” ― Michael Josephson
User avatar
ferri
Forum Administrator
 
Posts: 42505
Likes: 12903 posts
Liked in: 7824 posts
Joined: May 11th, 2005, 2:21 pm

Re: BC Liberals nominate Ben Stewart

Postby WalterWhite » Sep 4th, 2017, 12:13 pm

In case there's any confusion and just to confirm, based on a few recent posts - Ben didn't jump ship and switch parties. He gave up his seat as MLA so the leader of his party would have one.

2 people like this post.
WalterWhite
Übergod
 
Posts: 1159
Likes: 902 posts
Liked in: 1243 posts
Joined: Jan 31st, 2017, 3:56 pm

Re: BC Liberals nominate Ben Stewart

Postby maryjane48 » Sep 4th, 2017, 7:07 pm

like a chump . i would have told clark to pound sand . in hindsite it was a mistake . . maybe some folks there will discouver a backbone and send ben packing :130:

bornhere63 likes this post.
User avatar
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 16001
Likes: 9976 posts
Liked in: 2497 posts
Joined: May 28th, 2010, 6:58 pm

Re: BC Liberals nominate Ben Stewart

Postby Rwede » Sep 5th, 2017, 7:22 am

The funny part is, Ben Stewart opened the door for the Premier who has served longer than any NDP premier in the history of British Columbia.

That's really gotta irk the 5-straight loser NDPers on here, so I completely understand why they spew such vitriol toward an honourable man who is going to win this by election hands down.

The NDP can take their pick of a lunatic SJW or a BCTF stalwart as they have the last couple of elections, which is the best they've been able to dig out of the manure pile which grows NDP candidates. Whatever dope they nominate will lose before they even get started.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.

2 people like this post.
User avatar
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water
 
Posts: 11620
Likes: 9337 posts
Liked in: 4940 posts
Joined: May 6th, 2009, 9:49 am
Location: is everything!

Re: BC Liberals nominate Ben Stewart

Postby Raven1 » Sep 5th, 2017, 10:13 am

WalterWhite wrote:In case there's any confusion and just to confirm, based on a few recent posts - Ben didn't jump ship and switch parties. He gave up his seat as MLA so the leader of his party would have one.



He didn't "give it up"...... rather he was PAID to step aside.

bornhere63 likes this post.
Raven1
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 730
Likes: 581 posts
Liked in: 254 posts
Joined: Nov 21st, 2007, 5:11 am

Re: BC Liberals nominate Ben Stewart

Postby Rwede » Sep 5th, 2017, 10:39 am

Raven1 wrote:He didn't "give it up"...... rather he was PAID to step aside.


That's incorrect, and borderline libelous.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.

Jx3 likes this post.
User avatar
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water
 
Posts: 11620
Likes: 9337 posts
Liked in: 4940 posts
Joined: May 6th, 2009, 9:49 am
Location: is everything!

Re: BC Liberals nominate Ben Stewart

Postby WalterWhite » Sep 5th, 2017, 11:37 am

Raven1 wrote:
WalterWhite wrote:In case there's any confusion and just to confirm, based on a few recent posts - Ben didn't jump ship and switch parties. He gave up his seat as MLA so the leader of his party would have one.



He didn't "give it up"...... rather he was PAID to step aside.


Please post any relevant info to back up your claim.
WalterWhite
Übergod
 
Posts: 1159
Likes: 902 posts
Liked in: 1243 posts
Joined: Jan 31st, 2017, 3:56 pm

Re: BC Liberals nominate Ben Stewart

Postby Raven1 » Sep 5th, 2017, 12:03 pm

From 2013..... just a little history

A former MLA who gave up his Kelowna riding for Premier Christy Clark has been appointed B.C.’s new Asia trade commissioner.

Clark named Ben Stewart to the post Monday, which is based in Beijing and comes with a $150,000 annual salary.

The premier said it’s vitally important for B.C. to raise its profile in Asia. The region accounts for 40 per cent of the province’s total trade, said Clark.

Stewart is uniquely qualified for the job, having been a former B.C. cabinet minister who built his family-owned Quail’s Gate Winery into a successful business with overseas markets, she said.


“We need a representative in Asia who is known to have access to power and government here in British Columbia,” said Clark. “That is a critical part of doing successful business in Asia.”

Stewart was re-elected MLA for Westside-Kelowna in the May provincial election. The premier lost her Vancouver-area seat to an NDP challenger. Stewart resigned his riding to allow Clark to run in a by-election, which she won. Stewart has since become an unofficial adviser to Clark.

More here: http://www.timescolonist.com/news/local ... a-1.675683
Last edited by ferri on Sep 5th, 2017, 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Posted entire article without link

bornhere63 likes this post.
Raven1
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 730
Likes: 581 posts
Liked in: 254 posts
Joined: Nov 21st, 2007, 5:11 am

PreviousNext

Return to Central Okanagan

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: stuart777, wolfenone and 16 guests