48375
47833

BC Liberals nominate Ben Stewart

Re: BC Liberals nominate Ben Stewart

Postby WalterWhite » Sep 5th, 2017, 12:35 pm

Raven1 wrote:From 2013..... just a little history

A former MLA who gave up his Kelowna riding for Premier Christy Clark has been appointed B.C.’s new Asia trade commissioner.

Clark named Ben Stewart to the post Monday, which is based in Beijing and comes with a $150,000 annual salary.

The premier said it’s vitally important for B.C. to raise its profile in Asia. The region accounts for 40 per cent of the province’s total trade, said Clark.

Stewart is uniquely qualified for the job, having been a former B.C. cabinet minister who built his family-owned Quail’s Gate Winery into a successful business with overseas markets, she said.



“We need a representative in Asia who is known to have access to power and government here in British Columbia,” said Clark. “That is a critical part of doing successful business in Asia.”

Stewart was re-elected MLA for Westside-Kelowna in the May provincial election. The premier lost her Vancouver-area seat to an NDP challenger. Stewart resigned his riding to allow Clark to run in a by-election, which she won. Stewart has since become an unofficial adviser to Clark.

More here: http://www.timescolonist.com/news/local ... a-1.675683


Just like becoming an MLA, Stewart was appointed to the position based on his qualifications both prior and present - but in typical fashion it's spun to suit one's agenda.

2 people like this post.
WalterWhite
Übergod
 
Posts: 1156
Likes: 896 posts
Liked in: 1235 posts
Joined: Jan 31st, 2017, 3:56 pm

Re: BC Liberals nominate Ben Stewart

Postby Raven1 » Sep 5th, 2017, 12:50 pm

You asked for "relevant info" and I provided. If that's an agenda of anything on my part, it is simply trying to open minds.

Convenient too, that in December he vacated his Asia post to spend more time with family....hmmmmmm.

2 people like this post.
Raven1
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 730
Likes: 578 posts
Liked in: 254 posts
Joined: Nov 21st, 2007, 5:11 am

Re: BC Liberals nominate Ben Stewart

Postby JagXKR » Sep 5th, 2017, 1:04 pm

Raven1 wrote:

He didn't "give it up"...... rather he was PAID to step aside.


Opinion, not fact. Nice spin.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.

Rwede likes this post.
User avatar
JagXKR
Board Meister
 
Posts: 609
Likes: 3 posts
Liked in: 411 posts
Joined: Jun 19th, 2011, 5:25 am
Location: Penticton

Re: BC Liberals nominate Ben Stewart

Postby JagXKR » Sep 5th, 2017, 1:06 pm

maryjane48 wrote:like a chump . i would have told clark to pound sand . in hindsite it was a mistake . . maybe some folks there will discouver a backbone and send ben packing :130:


Nope, will not happen. Liberal riding and will stay that way.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.

Rwede likes this post.
User avatar
JagXKR
Board Meister
 
Posts: 609
Likes: 3 posts
Liked in: 411 posts
Joined: Jun 19th, 2011, 5:25 am
Location: Penticton

Re: BC Liberals nominate Ben Stewart

Postby Rwede » Sep 5th, 2017, 1:17 pm

Raven1 wrote:From 2013..... just a little history

A former MLA who gave up his Kelowna riding for Premier Christy Clark has been appointed B.C.’s new Asia trade commissioner.

Clark named Ben Stewart to the post Monday, which is based in Beijing and comes with a $150,000 annual salary.

The premier said it’s vitally important for B.C. to raise its profile in Asia. The region accounts for 40 per cent of the province’s total trade, said Clark.

Stewart is uniquely qualified for the job, having been a former B.C. cabinet minister who built his family-owned Quail’s Gate Winery into a successful business with overseas markets, she said.


“We need a representative in Asia who is known to have access to power and government here in British Columbia,” said Clark. “That is a critical part of doing successful business in Asia.”

Stewart was re-elected MLA for Westside-Kelowna in the May provincial election. The premier lost her Vancouver-area seat to an NDP challenger. Stewart resigned his riding to allow Clark to run in a by-election, which she won. Stewart has since become an unofficial adviser to Clark.

More here: http://www.timescolonist.com/news/local ... a-1.675683



Mr Stewart would make far more than $150K a year if he were to have stayed and worked at the family business instead of stepping into public service.

It cost him a lot of money to serve his community.

I know to NDP-loving SJWs, it must seem that $150K is a gazillion dollars, but it is in fact a large step backward for Mr Stewart when considering the money and opportunities he has lost by leaving his business to enter public life.

Yet, the bashing of a man who left a sizable chunk of money behind to serve the common good continues...
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.

4 people like this post.
User avatar
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water
 
Posts: 11594
Likes: 9248 posts
Liked in: 4906 posts
Joined: May 6th, 2009, 9:49 am
Location: is everything!

Re: BC Liberals nominate Ben Stewart

Postby Rider59 » Sep 5th, 2017, 1:25 pm

Rwede wrote:Mr Stewart would make far more than $150K a year if he were to have stayed and worked at the family business instead of stepping into public service.

It cost him a lot of money to serve his community.

I know to NDP-loving SJWs, it must seem that $150K is a gazillion dollars, but it is in fact a large step backward for Mr Stewart when considering the money and opportunities he has lost by leaving his business to enter public life.

Yet, the bashing of a man who left a sizable chunk of money behind to serve the common good continues...


Can you blame the jealousy of the left when their maximum earning potential is tied to the minimum wage?

3 people like this post.
Rider59
Board Meister
 
Posts: 357
Likes: 206 posts
Liked in: 339 posts
Joined: Aug 17th, 2016, 9:02 am

Re: BC Liberals nominate Ben Stewart

Postby Raven1 » Sep 5th, 2017, 1:33 pm

He didn't sell the winery....so he was collecting 2 incomes.........

And yes the Okanagan is a Liberal strong hold which is why this was the logical option of seats for Crusty to take.

bornhere63 likes this post.
Raven1
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 730
Likes: 578 posts
Liked in: 254 posts
Joined: Nov 21st, 2007, 5:11 am

Re: BC Liberals nominate Ben Stewart

Postby gman313 » Sep 5th, 2017, 2:03 pm

Raven1 wrote:He didn't sell the winery....so he was collecting 2 incomes.........

And yes the Okanagan is a Liberal strong hold which is why this was the logical option of seats for Crusty to take.


He sold part of his stake in quails. When Ben went into politics BACAS Holdings was created. BACAS ( BACAS = Ben, Anthony, Cynthia, Andrea Stewart) were the directors of this holding company that owned quails gate. So Ben kept a share but was no longer active as required in politics. One of the board members represented him, I believe Bennett.

He did some limited work for Quails while oversees but not much. That would get him in trouble though. When he left politics he returned to Quails as Chief Vintner and took over the management of the winery and viticulture program while Estate President John Sandor focuses on hospitality. Now he will again leave his position at QG to run again.

3 people like this post.
gman313
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2204
Likes: 818 posts
Liked in: 876 posts
Joined: Sep 15th, 2008, 7:03 pm

Re: BC Liberals nominate Ben Stewart

Postby Rwede » Sep 5th, 2017, 2:59 pm

Raven1 wrote:He didn't sell the winery....so he was collecting 2 incomes.........


Wrong again.

But don't let that get in the way of slamming a good man who has served his province well at great personal expense.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.

4 people like this post.
User avatar
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water
 
Posts: 11594
Likes: 9248 posts
Liked in: 4906 posts
Joined: May 6th, 2009, 9:49 am
Location: is everything!

Re: BC Liberals nominate Ben Stewart

Postby gman313 » Sep 5th, 2017, 3:05 pm

End of the day there is no better person to represent our interests than Mr. Stewart. He has my vote forsure

Rwede likes this post.
gman313
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2204
Likes: 818 posts
Liked in: 876 posts
Joined: Sep 15th, 2008, 7:03 pm

Re: BC Liberals nominate Ben Stewart

Postby Raven1 » Sep 5th, 2017, 3:26 pm

I guess it's good for him that some know a different Ben Stewart than others do.

And it's good too, that some will benefit from his reinstatement, but hardly the province as a whole.
Raven1
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 730
Likes: 578 posts
Liked in: 254 posts
Joined: Nov 21st, 2007, 5:11 am

Re: BC Liberals nominate Ben Stewart

Postby gman313 » Sep 5th, 2017, 3:32 pm

Raven1 wrote:I guess it's good for him that some know a different Ben Stewart than others do.

And it's good too, that some will benefit from his reinstatement, but hardly the province as a whole.


it is for the riding only, not to replace Christy as leader

4 people like this post.
gman313
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2204
Likes: 818 posts
Liked in: 876 posts
Joined: Sep 15th, 2008, 7:03 pm

Re: BC Liberals nominate Ben Stewart

Postby WalterWhite » Sep 5th, 2017, 3:49 pm

Raven1 wrote:I guess it's good for him that some know a different Ben Stewart than others do.

And it's good too, that some will benefit from his reinstatement, but hardly the province as a whole.


Uh-huh - so rather than simply admit you were wrong, and that the comments made simply unfounded untruths, it's easier to deflect with further unfounded untruths. I'll just leave my original comment here.....

Damned if they do - damned if they don't. That's the funny thing about politics - if it isn't their party, don't expect anyone to voice a positive reaction to anything the opposing party does. Ben's an incredibly astute businessman with very deep roots locally that happens to be a Liberal. If the Liberals aren't your cup of tea, that's fine. Clarke's out and someone has to replace her. There are any number of choices that are far worse than Ben. I for one am happy to see someone with his qualifications and local connections get the party's nod. Wise choice.

3 people like this post.
WalterWhite
Übergod
 
Posts: 1156
Likes: 896 posts
Liked in: 1235 posts
Joined: Jan 31st, 2017, 3:56 pm

Re: BC Liberals nominate Ben Stewart

Postby Raven1 » Sep 5th, 2017, 3:50 pm

My comment was in reference to Stewart's service to the province.

As far as leadership.....that's a whole other topic
Raven1
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 730
Likes: 578 posts
Liked in: 254 posts
Joined: Nov 21st, 2007, 5:11 am

Re: BC Liberals nominate Ben Stewart

Postby lesliepaul » Sep 5th, 2017, 5:00 pm

It will always be about Ben..........FIRST! Every move he makes benefits Ben! Like 99% of the politicians out there he is no different and he entered politics after becoming fairly successful.........nothing to lose. Now tell me that Kelowna's uneducated mayor has not hit the jack pot over the last 3 years without a single care about anyone but himself and his self-serving backers?

3 people like this post.
lesliepaul
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 939
Likes: 4 posts
Liked in: 746 posts
Joined: Aug 7th, 2011, 12:56 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Central Okanagan

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests

cron