BC Liberals nominate Ben Stewart

WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Re: BC Liberals nominate Ben Stewart

Post by WalterWhite »

Raven1 wrote:From 2013..... just a little history

A former MLA who gave up his Kelowna riding for Premier Christy Clark has been appointed B.C.’s new Asia trade commissioner.

Clark named Ben Stewart to the post Monday, which is based in Beijing and comes with a $150,000 annual salary.

The premier said it’s vitally important for B.C. to raise its profile in Asia. The region accounts for 40 per cent of the province’s total trade, said Clark.

Stewart is uniquely qualified for the job, having been a former B.C. cabinet minister who built his family-owned Quail’s Gate Winery into a successful business with overseas markets, she said.

“We need a representative in Asia who is known to have access to power and government here in British Columbia,” said Clark. “That is a critical part of doing successful business in Asia.”

Stewart was re-elected MLA for Westside-Kelowna in the May provincial election. The premier lost her Vancouver-area seat to an NDP challenger. Stewart resigned his riding to allow Clark to run in a by-election, which she won. Stewart has since become an unofficial adviser to Clark.

More here: http://www.timescolonist.com/news/local ... a-1.675683

Just like becoming an MLA, Stewart was appointed to the position based on his qualifications both prior and present - but in typical fashion it's spun to suit one's agenda.
Raven1
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Raven1 »

You asked for "relevant info" and I provided. If that's an agenda of anything on my part, it is simply trying to open minds.

Convenient too, that in December he vacated his Asia post to spend more time with family....hmmmmmm.
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

Raven1 wrote:

He didn't "give it up"...... rather he was PAID to step aside.

Opinion, not fact. Nice spin.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

maryjane48 wrote:like a chump . i would have told clark to pound sand . in hindsite it was a mistake . . maybe some folks there will discouver a backbone and send ben packing :130:

Nope, will not happen. Liberal riding and will stay that way.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Raven1 wrote:From 2013..... just a little history

A former MLA who gave up his Kelowna riding for Premier Christy Clark has been appointed B.C.’s new Asia trade commissioner.

Clark named Ben Stewart to the post Monday, which is based in Beijing and comes with a $150,000 annual salary.

The premier said it’s vitally important for B.C. to raise its profile in Asia. The region accounts for 40 per cent of the province’s total trade, said Clark.

Stewart is uniquely qualified for the job, having been a former B.C. cabinet minister who built his family-owned Quail’s Gate Winery into a successful business with overseas markets, she said.

“We need a representative in Asia who is known to have access to power and government here in British Columbia,” said Clark. “That is a critical part of doing successful business in Asia.”

Stewart was re-elected MLA for Westside-Kelowna in the May provincial election. The premier lost her Vancouver-area seat to an NDP challenger. Stewart resigned his riding to allow Clark to run in a by-election, which she won. Stewart has since become an unofficial adviser to Clark.

More here: http://www.timescolonist.com/news/local ... a-1.675683

Mr Stewart would make far more than $150K a year if he were to have stayed and worked at the family business instead of stepping into public service.

It cost him a lot of money to serve his community.

I know to NDP-loving SJWs, it must seem that $150K is a gazillion dollars, but it is in fact a large step backward for Mr Stewart when considering the money and opportunities he has lost by leaving his business to enter public life.

Yet, the bashing of a man who left a sizable chunk of money behind to serve the common good continues...
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Rider59
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Rider59 »

Rwede wrote:Mr Stewart would make far more than $150K a year if he were to have stayed and worked at the family business instead of stepping into public service.

It cost him a lot of money to serve his community.

I know to NDP-loving SJWs, it must seem that $150K is a gazillion dollars, but it is in fact a large step backward for Mr Stewart when considering the money and opportunities he has lost by leaving his business to enter public life.

Yet, the bashing of a man who left a sizable chunk of money behind to serve the common good continues...

Can you blame the jealousy of the left when their maximum earning potential is tied to the minimum wage?
Fast, Good or Cheap. Pick Two
Raven1
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Raven1 »

He didn't sell the winery....so he was collecting 2 incomes.........

And yes the Okanagan is a Liberal strong hold which is why this was the logical option of seats for Crusty to take.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

Raven1 wrote:He didn't sell the winery....so he was collecting 2 incomes.........

And yes the Okanagan is a Liberal strong hold which is why this was the logical option of seats for Crusty to take.

He sold part of his stake in quails. When Ben went into politics BACAS Holdings was created. BACAS ( BACAS = Ben, Anthony, Cynthia, Andrea Stewart) were the directors of this holding company that owned quails gate. So Ben kept a share but was no longer active as required in politics. One of the board members represented him, I believe Bennett.

He did some limited work for Quails while oversees but not much. That would get him in trouble though. When he left politics he returned to Quails as Chief Vintner and took over the management of the winery and viticulture program while Estate President John Sandor focuses on hospitality. Now he will again leave his position at QG to run again.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Raven1 wrote:He didn't sell the winery....so he was collecting 2 incomes.........

Wrong again.

But don't let that get in the way of slamming a good man who has served his province well at great personal expense.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

End of the day there is no better person to represent our interests than Mr. Stewart. He has my vote forsure
Raven1
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Raven1 »

I guess it's good for him that some know a different Ben Stewart than others do.

And it's good too, that some will benefit from his reinstatement, but hardly the province as a whole.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

Raven1 wrote:I guess it's good for him that some know a different Ben Stewart than others do.

And it's good too, that some will benefit from his reinstatement, but hardly the province as a whole.

it is for the riding only, not to replace Christy as leader
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

Raven1 wrote:I guess it's good for him that some know a different Ben Stewart than others do.

Uh-huh - so rather than simply admit you were wrong, and that the comments made simply unfounded untruths, it's easier to deflect with further unfounded untruths. I'll just leave my original comment here.....

Damned if they do - damned if they don't. That's the funny thing about politics - if it isn't their party, don't expect anyone to voice a positive reaction to anything the opposing party does. Ben's an incredibly astute businessman with very deep roots locally that happens to be a Liberal. If the Liberals aren't your cup of tea, that's fine. Clarke's out and someone has to replace her. There are any number of choices that are far worse than Ben. I for one am happy to see someone with his qualifications and local connections get the party's nod. Wise choice.
Raven1
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Raven1 »

My comment was in reference to Stewart's service to the province.

As far as leadership.....that's a whole other topic
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

It will always be about Ben..........FIRST! Every move he makes benefits Ben! Like 99% of the politicians out there he is no different and he entered politics after becoming fairly successful.........nothing to lose. Now tell me that Kelowna's uneducated mayor has not hit the jack pot over the last 3 years without a single care about anyone but himself and his self-serving backers?

Return to “Central Okanagan”