Province paying for more social housing in Kelowna

the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Province paying for more social housing in Kelowna

Post by the truth »

Jonrox wrote:Just wondering where you guys think this should go? I've seen people upset that it shouldn't be in a nice family area but also that it shouldn't be close to a bad street. Should we segregate the poor and mentally ill away from the rest of us? Because we all know segregation has a great history.

next door to where you live, see how you feel, or go back to page one , some good ideas as were it should go
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
voice of reason
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by voice of reason »

Piecemaker wrote:This is social housing all over Kelowna. While there are some areas of Rutland that could use some revitalization, it is not a dump! Most areas of Rutland are filled with ordinary people who manage their lives and keep their properties the same as anywhere else in Kelowna.

importing mentally ill people and drug addicts will make it better or worse in your opinion? rutland has been trying for years to shed the stigma of being the wrong side of the tracks.it needs to move forward positively not become kelownas social dumping ground.those ordinary rutland people you are so concerned about are the ones who are going to suffer because of this.they are the ones who are going to have lower property values and they are the ones who will become victims of crimes
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

I don't see a managed facility on the Hwy 97 corridor as detrimental to a community as the Freedom Door proposal on Rutland Road.
Low-income and supported housing do not always affect a neighbourhood negatively. Old motels are often hotbeds of crime and debauchery. If this motel is renovated and the exterior grounds maintained, it might actually improve the neighbourhood.
From reading the article, it seems like the focus is going to be mental health clients, not drug addicts. While the two sometimes overlap, they aren't going to be housing someone that is not in recovery. Many posters bemoan the fact that after individuals complete drug and/or alcohol treatment there is nowhere for them to live as they reintegrate into society.
The other facilities that CYMH is involved in are not flop houses, nor are they a place for non-residents to loiter.
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

kelowna needs way more low income housing and treatment places. the nimbys need to be made the fringe . its time kelowna got off its highhorse and joined the humanrace instead of try8ng to mimic the trumps . except for the people in kelowna that do help the rest should be ashamed of themselves
gsc
Board Meister

Post by gsc »

Yes the article says it will be monitored 24/7 but how well or to what extent.

What kind of people are they bringing in if it has to be monitored 24/7 ?

I can also think of way better places to put this place. Why don't they put it some where close to down town by the job search place. They could also put it by the welfare office that way checks are close for them.

If they want to help them they need to put them close to places they can find work. Not the side of the highway in some old motel.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

Piecemaker wrote:I don't see a managed facility on the Hwy 97 corridor as detrimental to a community as the Freedom Door proposal on Rutland Road.
Low-income and supported housing do not always affect a neighbourhood negatively. Old motels are often hotbeds of crime and debauchery. If this motel is renovated and the exterior grounds maintained, it might actually improve the neighbourhood.
From reading the article, it seems like the focus is going to be mental health clients, not drug addicts. While the two sometimes overlap, they aren't going to be housing someone that is not in recovery. Many posters bemoan the fact that after individuals complete drug and/or alcohol treatment there is nowhere for them to live as they reintegrate into society.
The other facilities that CYMH is involved in are not flop houses, nor are they a place for non-residents to loiter.

i agree ,help the low income clients ,help the mental heath clients, but please do not turn this into another 24/7 junkie building like in from the cold
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

gsc wrote:Yes the article says it will be monitored 24/7 but how well or to what extent.

I can also think of way better places to put this place. Why don't they put it some where close to down town by the job search place. They could also put it by the welfare office that way checks are close for them.

If they want to help them they need to put them close to places they can find work. Not the side of the highway in some old motel.

many times monitored 24/7 as they call it ,means video cameras
gsc
Board Meister

Post by gsc »

the truth wrote:
gsc wrote:Yes the article says it will be monitored 24/7 but how well or to what extent.

That's my concern as well. Who is gone a watch the cams probably no one .
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

now that i think about it, monitored does not mean staffed, so camera it is, let the gone show begin :200: :-X
Temet Nosce
Board Meister

Post by Temet Nosce »

the truth wrote:

False...24/7 staffing is 24/7 staffing. I don't know of any facilities such as this with video monitoring in place of staffing--please advise.
"CMHA staff will be on-site round the clock at the facility once it is up and running to manage the day-to-day operations and assist residents as needed."
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

hope so.....................
gsc
Board Meister

Post by gsc »

So this will be similar to the Ki-Low-Na Friendship Society and there i spa-us ki-low-na Heart of Kelowna, an 86-unit affordable housing project at the Central Green site.

It's a low income housing that has staff there Monday to Friday 9 to 5. It is also monitored 24/7 by video.

I know of that place and have seen many drug user's all around that place.

That is just what we need in our neighborhood FML.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

how did this even happen, did the city sneak this one by us without any community notice ?
Temet Nosce
Board Meister

Post by Temet Nosce »

Nope different. This thread is just deteriorating now. Carry on.
alfred2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by alfred2 »

you can building a very big building for 6 million.Th :admin: e owner of motel must be a friend of horgan.

Return to “Central Okanagan”