50915
52425

Flags for aborted babies

Re: Flags for aborted babies

Postby KelownaCC » Sep 22nd, 2017, 12:21 pm

I read a bit of the "source" web site that you posted, the deceptively named "prochoice.com". It doesn't provide any sources for what they say are "facts". I haven't found any references yet on legitimate fact based websites that mention the saline method.

https://www.optionsforsexualhealth.org/birth-control-pregnancy/pregnancy/medical-abortion

https://www.optionsforsexualhealth.org/birth-control-pregnancy/pregnancy/surgical-abortion

Options for Sexual Health is funded by:
Provincial Health Services Authority | Ministry of Health | BC Gaming | United Way | Columbia Basin Trust

Here is a quote from one of our MPs who is a medical doctor (source: http://nationalpost.com/opinion/letters/todays-letters-late-trimester-abortions-are-not-happening-in-canada-without-a-reason

"Re: Waiting For An Abortion Law, editorial, Feb. 2.
On Twitter, Jonathan Kay (the Post’s Managing Editor Comment) stated: “If you can find an incorrect sentence in this editorial, identify it.” The misleading sentence is: “It is perfectly legal in Canada to have or perform an abortion — for any reason, or no reason at all — at 20, 25, 30 or 35 weeks gestation.”
I am totally fed up with “lawyered” assertions that totally misrepresent the facts. While in Canada we do not have a law, we do have very strict professional guidelines. No physician in Canada can terminate a pregnancy over 24 weeks without serious indications that the life of the mother is at risk or that the fetus has very serious malformations. I have sat with these women as they received the terrible news and sat with them throughout the terrible long, tear-drenched process. The assertion that late-term abortions can be performed “for any reason, or no reason at all” is just not true.
I challenge Mr. Kay to find one late-term abortion performed in Canada to a healthy mother with a healthy fetus. I am one of many politicians “willing to tackle” this subject. He needs to be one of many journalists who are prepared to admit when their fine prose may have misled Canadians … in this case that late-trimester abortions are not happening in Canada without “reason.”
Dr. Carolyn Bennett, MP for St. Paul’s, Toronto."

Anyway, this thread has gone off topic. The topic was the protest. I respect rights to peacefully protest, even when I don't agree with the protestors. I'm thankful that we live in a country that allows that.

3 people like this post.
User avatar
KelownaCC
Fledgling
 
Posts: 137
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 11 posts
Joined: Aug 29th, 2006, 11:45 am

Re: Flags for aborted babies

Postby whatwhat » Sep 22nd, 2017, 12:22 pm

TJ05 wrote:So does the fetus, in fact, feel pain? A growing body of evidence says yes. The fetus is known to have pain receptors throughout the body by 8 weeks of gestation.[4] By 20 weeks gestational age, the fetus will react to a painful stimulus in the same manner that adults do.
Perhaps you should research it a bit more.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/845410
http://www.doctorsonfetalpain.com/
http://www.abortionmyths.ca/late_term_a ... anada.html


Thanks...

https://www.livescience.com/54774-fetal-pain-anesthesia.html

"The science shows that based on gestational age, the fetus is not capable of feeling pain until the third trimester," said Kate Connors, a spokesperson for ACOG. The third trimester begins at about 27 weeks of pregnancy.

"What we can say about the fetal nervous system is that based on the best science we have" on the neurons that carry pain signals is that the "system isn't developed until the third trimester of pregnancy," Davis told Live Science.


ETA: But as Kelowna CC pointed out, this is totally off topic. I agree they are totally allowed to be out there protesting. And I am also happy to have live in a country were everyone has that right, as well as the right to an abortion :)
hail Satan y'all
whatwhat
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2912
Likes: 2612 posts
Liked in: 2011 posts
Joined: Sep 30th, 2009, 10:06 am

Re: Flags for aborted babies

Postby miss_sterious » Sep 29th, 2017, 10:37 pm

Seeing the flags makes me sad...our throw away society has gone too far. These flags represent developing human beings whose life was snuffed out. Would avoiding abortion whenever possible be costly? Yes. Would it be inconvenient? Yes. That doesn't meAn that these developing humans don't have a right to life. The large volume of abortions that take place is an indicator of our broken society; one that encourages pre marital sex, discourages the traditional family unit and encourages a general lack of morals.

sobrohusfat likes this post.
miss_sterious
Fledgling
 
Posts: 115
Likes: 1 post
Liked in: 45 posts
Joined: Jun 30th, 2010, 4:32 pm

Re: Flags for aborted babies

Postby Poindexter » Sep 30th, 2017, 6:46 am

I think a better example of a broken society would be one where a small minority's ideological beliefs are reason enough to take away a women's right to control thier own reproductive system.

4 people like this post.
User avatar
Poindexter
Guru
 
Posts: 5268
Likes: 3196 posts
Liked in: 3751 posts
Joined: May 26th, 2008, 11:44 am

Re: Flags for aborted babies

Postby LANDM » Sep 30th, 2017, 7:40 am

miss_sterious wrote:Seeing the flags makes me sad...our throw away society has gone too far. These flags represent developing human beings whose life was snuffed out. Would avoiding abortion whenever possible be costly? Yes. Would it be inconvenient? Yes. That doesn't meAn that these developing humans don't have a right to life. The large volume of abortions that take place is an indicator of our broken society; one that encourages pre marital sex, discourages the traditional family unit and encourages a general lack of morals.


Kind of makes you yearn for a Handmaid's Tale type of society, eh?

I don't suppose you realize that premarital sex happened all the time in your halcyon days of yesteryear that you seem to be reminiscing over?

The "inconvenience" that you refer to seems to be fine since it is someone else's body that is being "inconvenienced". I don't feel like I can force someone else to carry the weight of that little inconvenience when it is their body.
LANDM
Guru
 
Posts: 5701
Likes: 1452 posts
Liked in: 2864 posts
Joined: Sep 18th, 2009, 11:58 am

Re: Flags for aborted babies

Postby Omnitheo » Sep 30th, 2017, 9:41 am

Like I said, many of these pre-lifers really care more about punishing women for having sex. Here is someone going on about the immorality of sex outside of “family units”.

I’m sorry, but sex is not just about making babies. It never has been. Otherwise there are a heck of a lot of immoral seniors out there enjoying themselves and sinning knowing full well they can’t reproduce anymore.
"The Charter of Rights and Freedoms protects all Canadians, every one of us, even when it is uncomfortable."
- Justin Trudeau
User avatar
Omnitheo
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3928
Likes: 5723 posts
Liked in: 2852 posts
Joined: Jul 19th, 2011, 10:10 am

Re: Flags for aborted babies

Postby Even Steven » Sep 30th, 2017, 11:11 am

miss_sterious wrote:Seeing the flags makes me sad...our throw away society has gone too far.


Never thought about this way. We do throw away everything these days.
Even Steven
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2516
Likes: 164 posts
Liked in: 1815 posts
Joined: Mar 24th, 2015, 7:20 pm

Re: Flags for aborted babies

Postby miss_sterious » Sep 30th, 2017, 7:36 pm

I'm definitely not reminiscing about 'yesteryear' (I was born in the 80s), and I am also not downplaying the gravity of carrying a baby to term (I've had three myself). My point is this: doing what is right is typically not convenient. It can often be life altering. Our society puts such an emphasis on pursuing all the wrong things in the pursuit of happiness, and it is the tiniest amongst us that pay the price.

SuperMom likes this post.
miss_sterious
Fledgling
 
Posts: 115
Likes: 1 post
Liked in: 45 posts
Joined: Jun 30th, 2010, 4:32 pm

Re: Flags for aborted babies

Postby miss_sterious » Sep 30th, 2017, 7:52 pm

Poindexter wrote:I think a better example of a broken society would be one where a small minority's ideological beliefs are reason enough to take away a women's right to control thier own reproductive system.

it is our law, grounded in ideological beliefs, that controls much more than a woman's reproductive system. It controls your mouth (you may not engage in hate speech to hurt another). It controls your hands (you may not strike another person). It controls your digestive system, lungs and veins (you may not ingest illegal drugs). It controls your life (you can't kill yourself...or at least be known to want to or you'll be committed). I believe that it is not such a stretch to protect unborn humans from being killed. If anything, it should be more important.
miss_sterious
Fledgling
 
Posts: 115
Likes: 1 post
Liked in: 45 posts
Joined: Jun 30th, 2010, 4:32 pm

Re: Flags for aborted babies

Postby Fancy » Sep 30th, 2017, 7:55 pm

Laws are broken by the majority on a daily basis. Laws aren't controlling anyone - it's the individual that decides if they want to follow the laws.
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
User avatar
Fancy
The Pilgrim
 
Posts: 44689
Likes: 1102 posts
Liked in: 5624 posts
Joined: Apr 15th, 2006, 6:23 pm

Re: Flags for aborted babies

Postby miss_sterious » Sep 30th, 2017, 8:38 pm

Fancy wrote:Laws are broken by the majority on a daily basis. Laws aren't controlling anyone - it's the individual that decides if they want to follow the laws.

You're right. Unfortunately, both laws and accepted social behaviour are changing rapidly to make it 'ok' to harm others. The 'do what feels good in the moment' mentality does not bring happiness, it is a deception. And, as demonstrated by the thousands of tiny flags, harms the most vulnerable amongst us.
miss_sterious
Fledgling
 
Posts: 115
Likes: 1 post
Liked in: 45 posts
Joined: Jun 30th, 2010, 4:32 pm

Re: Flags for aborted babies

Postby UhHuhYeahSure » Sep 30th, 2017, 9:25 pm

I like flags. Do you like flags?

And balloons. I like balloons too. Can you use balloons next time? That would be nice. Maybe I'll like you more next time if you use balloons.

And maybe garden gnomes. Wouldn't that be wonderful!? I think garden gnomes and balloons and maybe give away chocolates to people who like balloons. Then maybe I'll like you a lot more then.

And you can stop the baby killing...with flags, balloons and garden gnomes.Yup...and chocolates too.

Yeah. That'll work. Sure.
Everything I say to you is a lie. And that's the truth.
User avatar
UhHuhYeahSure
Board Meister
 
Posts: 373
Likes: 2 posts
Liked in: 88 posts
Joined: Jun 16th, 2008, 11:18 am
Location: Right here.

Re: Flags for aborted babies

Postby miss_sterious » Sep 30th, 2017, 10:01 pm

UhHuhYeahSure wrote:I like flags. Do you like flags?

And balloons. I like balloons too. Can you use balloons next time? That would be nice. Maybe I'll like you more next time if you use balloons.

And maybe garden gnomes. Wouldn't that be wonderful!? I think garden gnomes and balloons and maybe give away chocolates to people who like balloons. Then maybe I'll like you a lot more then.

And you can stop the baby killing...with flags, balloons and garden gnomes.Yup...and chocolates too.

Yeah. That'll work. Sure.

Is your point that the flags don't raise awareness, that they don't prevent abortions, or that abortion is no big deal?
miss_sterious
Fledgling
 
Posts: 115
Likes: 1 post
Liked in: 45 posts
Joined: Jun 30th, 2010, 4:32 pm

Re: Flags for aborted babies

Postby Poindexter » Oct 1st, 2017, 8:36 am

miss_sterious wrote:I'm definitely not reminiscing about 'yesteryear' (I was born in the 80s), and I am also not downplaying the gravity of carrying a baby to term (I've had three myself). My point is this: doing what is right is typically not convenient. It can often be life altering. Our society puts such an emphasis on pursuing all the wrong things in the pursuit of happiness, and it is the tiniest amongst us that pay the price.


I agree that one of society's greatest challenges is resisting the path of least resistance towards the lowest common denominator. Even with efforts to fight this trend we are, for the most part, an envious and indulgent society that puts little value on the important things in life. While I recognize this is happening I am not going indulge in making women who accidentally get pregnant the scapegoats. Taking away a women's right to decide what they do with their reproductive system isn't going to change how our society works, what it does achieve is taking one segment of the population and making them unfairly pay for the sins of others.
User avatar
Poindexter
Guru
 
Posts: 5268
Likes: 3196 posts
Liked in: 3751 posts
Joined: May 26th, 2008, 11:44 am

Re: Flags for aborted babies

Postby MAPearce » Oct 1st, 2017, 9:25 am

miss_sterious wrote:
Seeing the flags makes me sad...our throw away society has gone too far


Makes me sad too .. think of all that effort that went into making those flags , only to get tossed into the ditch.
I payed attention in High school....But not to what they were trying to teach me..

JLives likes this post.
User avatar
MAPearce
Walks on Forum Water
 
Posts: 10499
Likes: 1347 posts
Liked in: 3594 posts
Joined: Nov 24th, 2009, 6:15 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Central Okanagan

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Omnitheo and 13 guests