Duck Lake Accident

lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Re: Duck Lake Accident

Post by lesliepaul »

No passing on the right..........OK, I think we all know that. What if (and I have seen this a thousand times) some driver plants himself in the left lane and feels 20 K under the highway limit is comfortable. There will be a steady stream passing on the right.
bidwell2
Fledgling

Post by bidwell2 »

What I've seen 2 thousand times is an aggressive driver who thinks everybody should be doing 140 in a 90, so he tailgates while I'm legitimately passing a car, then before I can safely get back in the right lane he pulls into the right behind me and tries to pass.

Don't know how anybody could turn this one around to say the Lexus was justified!
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

bidwell2 wrote:What I've seen 2 thousand times is an aggressive driver who thinks everybody should be doing 140 in a 90, so he tailgates while I'm legitimately passing a car, then before I can safely get back in the right lane he pulls into the right behind me and tries to pass.

Don't know how anybody could turn this one around to say the Lexus was justified!

Spot on as to what the likely scenario was, not the fabricated story for the Police and Insurance.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

How many here making comment actually know the law? I find it interesting so I have posted it for you...

Duty when overtaking
Section 157 (1) of the BC Motor Vehicle Act indicates that except as provided in section 158, the driver of a vehicle overtaking another vehicle
(a) must cause the vehicle to pass to the left of the other vehicle at a safe distance, and
(b) must not cause or permit the vehicle to return to the right side of the highway until safely clear of the overtaken vehicle.
(2) Except when overtaking and passing on the right is permitted, a driver of an overtaken vehicle,
(a) on hearing an audible signal given by the driver of the overtaking vehicle, must cause the vehicle to give way to the right in favor of the overtaking vehicle, and
(b) must not increase the speed of the vehicle until completely passed by the overtaking vehicle.

Speed limits
Section 146 (3) of the BC Motor Vehicle Act indicates that if the Minister of Transportation and Highways has caused a sign to be erected or placed on a highway limiting the rate of speed of motor vehicles or a category of motor vehicles driven or operated on that portion of the highway, a person must not, when the sign is in place on the highway, drive or operate a vehicle on that portion of the highway at a greater rate of speed than that indicated on the sign for that category of motor vehicle.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

^^^^^What has been "bolded" ^^^
This infraction is just common place activity along that stretch, and anywhere
else for that matter.
People that doddle and day-dream, not a care in the world when no vehicles are ahead of them.
BUT,
Become Mario Andretti if God-forbid, anyone attempts to pass.

In turn, trapping the passer in the left, with no way to clear the lane for the even quicker
drivers.

The Duck Lake 500 has this as a constant, not the exception.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Bsuds wrote:From the info provided about how it happened it sounds like Karma was involved.
As long as the driver had collision coverage of course he/she will be covered. That's what it's for, when you are at fault.

BAhahahaha ! Please tell me that you don't REALLY believe that Sudsy....
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Bottom line, if people drove like they did when testing for their drivers license we would see the accident rate drop to 5% of what we currently have.

Yesterday saw a FREAK on Pandosy, pulled a very quick lane change on a solid as he approached 97 Hwy. The fellow behind must have honked his horn and tossed his hands in the air as he was cut off. *bleep* from ALBERTA jumps out and freaks on other person and threatened to smash parts of his little truck.

What a idiot, hope you read this as you looked real stupid acting out as you did when you were driving like a butt head.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Ken7 wrote:Bottom line, if people drove like they did when testing for their drivers license we would see the accident rate drop to 5% of what we currently have.

This is what I used to tell my students when I used to teach Drivers/Riders Ed.

"Drive/Ride as if your Instructor was with you for the rest of your life and you
will have nary a problem.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

dirtybiker wrote:
"Drive/Ride as if your Instructor was with you for the rest of your life and you
will have nary a problem.

Just be prepared for some road rage! lol
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

Might be more suited to the Yer an Idiot! thread, but related.

Yesterday I was southbound to Penticton juts before lunchtime. Traffic is steady, but nothing crazy. Everyone at this point is easily doing the speed limit, no doddling.

As we're just past Princeton Ave this moron in a white hatchback VW is right up our *bleep*. And you probably know exactly what's about to happen as we approach Renfrew Rd, the one with the dedicated right turn only lane.

Yup, dummy floors it to about 140 in the turn lane to try and blast by everyone. Of course a few hundred feet ahead cars have already moved over into the right hand lane so he/she had to stand on the brakes to jam back into the passing lane.
Rider59
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Rider59 »

Always Sunny wrote:Might be more suited to the Yer an Idiot! thread, but related.

Yesterday I was southbound to Penticton juts before lunchtime. Traffic is steady, but nothing crazy. Everyone at this point is easily doing the speed limit, no doddling.

As we're just past Princeton Ave this moron in a white hatchback VW is right up our *bleep*. And you probably know exactly what's about to happen as we approach Renfrew Rd, the one with the dedicated right turn only lane.

Yup, dummy floors it to about 140 in the turn lane to try and blast by everyone. Of course a few hundred feet ahead cars have already moved over into the right hand lane so he/she had to stand on the brakes to jam back into the passing lane.

I love watching these Ricky Racers eff up like that.
Fast, Good or Cheap. Pick Two
Opeeved
Fledgling

Post by Opeeved »

Noisy Boater wrote:When overtaking a vehicle and I am preparing to return to the granny lane always do the shoulder check as well as checking rear view and right side mirror to change lanes safely. If I happen to see a fast approaching impatient jackass I purposely slow down in the hammer lane and take my sweet time to move over maintaining just enough distance to prevent jackass from passing me on the right. Dont care if yer late. Leave earlier next time. If your gonna ride my a$$ at least pull my hair.
I wouldn't be late if it weren't for people like you deciding what's best for other people. Don't bother pretending to care about safety on the road pulling butt hat maneuvers like this. Mind your own driving first, not someone else's. Safety 101.

And besides, I prefer lube. :130:
This post was brought to you, by, the letter F, Q and the number 8
Opeeved
Fledgling

Post by Opeeved »

The only true fact in this conversation? That we're all crappy drivers who think we have the training and reflexes of formula 1. Admit it.
This post was brought to you, by, the letter F, Q and the number 8

Return to “Central Okanagan”