Square Footage

Square Footage

Postby Glacier » Sep 8th, 2017, 2:14 pm

It seems to me that the definition keeps changing over the years. I remember when square footage only referred to your main floors. Then it included all finished living space in the basement too. Then I started seeing listings that included unfinished space. Now the house across the street from is including the garage space in the square footage of the place. Before you know it, they're going to start including the driveway and patio.

House across the street: 1050 sq. ft. main floor, 700 sq ft. down, plus another 600 sq. ft. for garage. Plus, padded fudge factor = total 2,450 sq. ft.

Rider59 likes this post.
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet

Liked in: 7684 posts

Re: Square Footage

Postby Rider59 » Sep 8th, 2017, 2:20 pm

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Sep 8th, 2017, 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
Rider59
Board Meister

Liked in: 339 posts

Postby lesliepaul » Sep 8th, 2017, 2:34 pm

Rider59 wrote:
Glacier wrote:It seems to me that the definition keeps changing over the years. I remember when square footage only referred to your main floors. Then it included all finished living space in the basement too. Then I started seeing listings that included unfinished space. Now the house across the street from is including the garage space in the square footage of the place. Before you know it, they're going to start including the driveway and patio.

House across the street: 1050 sq. ft. main floor, 700 sq ft. down, plus another 600 sq. ft. for garage. Plus, padded fudge factor = total 2,450 sq. ft.

*removed*

Noticed this trend in B.C. first...........I guess it is the B.C. way of making yourself and your THINGS bigger than they are........and hope for a big payday down the road.

Main floor and upstairs (two-story or story and a 1/2) is the main living area and is the primary square footage. Then you can add additional finished/unfinished 1000 sq. ft. basement with a description. Just another way Real Estate agents embellish a listing.

B.C. reminds me of the fisherman that dislocated both shoulders describing the fish he caught.

Ken7 likes this post.
lesliepaul
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 746 posts

Postby Jlabute » Sep 8th, 2017, 2:58 pm

They should do cubic feet. That way you'd know if there were potentially low ceilings.lol
I do diligence and sometimes diligence does me.

4 people like this post.
Jlabute
Übergod

Liked in: 615 posts

Postby kgcayenne » Sep 8th, 2017, 3:05 pm

I want 3D renderings, dammit.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
kgcayenne
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 3340 posts

Postby Bsuds » Sep 8th, 2017, 3:39 pm

Next it will be in Centipeters to make it seem bigger!
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Liked in: 8883 posts

Postby dodgerdodge » Sep 8th, 2017, 3:51 pm

lesliepaul wrote:
Noticed this trend in B.C. first...........I guess it is the B.C. way of making yourself and your THINGS bigger than they are........and hope for a big payday down the road.

Main floor and upstairs (two-story or story and a 1/2) is the main living area and is the primary square footage. Then you can add additional finished/unfinished 1000 sq. ft. basement with a description. Just another way Real Estate agents embellish a listing.

B.C. reminds me of the fisherman that dislocated both shoulders describing the fish he caught.

But why? If you live in a home with basement then its part of the home and therefore part of the square footage. I don't understand why people say "oh its a rancher, about 1200 sq ft" and then when you push them a bit suddenly its twice the size because guess what they have a fully finished basement with actually more space than upstairs. Even if the basement is unfinished it still counts as potential living space but should be listed as "unfinished"

kevcol99 likes this post.
dodgerdodge
Übergod

Liked in: 298 posts

Postby vegas1500 » Sep 8th, 2017, 4:44 pm

dodgerdodge wrote:
lesliepaul wrote:

But why? If you live in a home with basement then its part of the home and therefore part of the square footage. I don't understand why people say "oh its a rancher, about 1200 sq ft" and then when you push them a bit suddenly its twice the size because guess what they have a fully finished basement with actually more space than upstairs. Even if the basement is unfinished it still counts as potential living space but should be listed as "unfinished"

In AB always has been
Bungalow- main floor sq footage
2 story- Main floor and upstairs (bonus room if applicable)
1.5 story- main and upstairs (and bonus room if it has it)
Bi-level or split- usually all floors except lowest level
vegas1500
Board Meister

Liked in: 781 posts

Postby Glacier » Sep 8th, 2017, 5:59 pm

Screw Alberta. I like the idea of cubic feet. I wonder if tax assessments take into account my 7 foot basement ceiling versus my neighbor's 9 foot ceiling (different neighbor).

Jlabute likes this post.
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet

Liked in: 7684 posts

Postby Bsuds » Sep 8th, 2017, 7:00 pm

Whats that in Cubits?

Glacier likes this post.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Liked in: 8883 posts

Postby lesliepaul » Sep 8th, 2017, 7:10 pm

In AB always has been
Bungalow- main floor sq footage
2 story- Main floor and upstairs (bonus room if applicable)
1.5 story- main and upstairs (and bonus room if it has it)
Bi-level or split- usually all floors except lowest level
[/quote]

Same in Saskatchewan, Manitoba and Ontario............
lesliepaul
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 746 posts

Postby ken tukee » Sep 8th, 2017, 8:02 pm

lesliepaul wrote:
Same in Saskatchewan, Manitoba and Ontario............

and quebec
ken tukee

Liked in: 9 posts

Postby 60-YEARS-in-Ktown » Sep 8th, 2017, 8:23 pm

If you think that is bad..,
How about houses in the Hospital area being described as Lower Mission...in RealtorSpeak...
When I lived directly across the street from the south entrance to Mission Park Mall, (for better part of a decade), I would have been ashamed to call it Mission

If sq footage is followed by, total footage. That I accept.
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 1477 posts

Postby lightspeed » Sep 8th, 2017, 8:24 pm

kgcayenne wrote:I want 3D renderings, dammit.

www.mymatterport.com

You pretty much got it.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"
lightspeed
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1612 posts

Postby LANDM » Sep 8th, 2017, 11:19 pm

Glacier wrote:It seems to me that the definition keeps changing over the years. I remember when square footage only referred to your main floors. Then it included all finished living space in the basement too. Then I started seeing listings that included unfinished space. Now the house across the street from is including the garage space in the square footage of the place. Before you know it, they're going to start including the driveway and patio.

If it is done, it doesn't mean it is correct or allowable. If what you describe is true and in the finished floor area you should do the correct thing and report it.
LANDM
Guru

Liked in: 2344 posts

Next

Return to Central Okanagan