49895

Square Footage

Square Footage

Postby Glacier » Sep 8th, 2017, 2:14 pm

It seems to me that the definition keeps changing over the years. I remember when square footage only referred to your main floors. Then it included all finished living space in the basement too. Then I started seeing listings that included unfinished space. Now the house across the street from is including the garage space in the square footage of the place. Before you know it, they're going to start including the driveway and patio.

House across the street: 1050 sq. ft. main floor, 700 sq ft. down, plus another 600 sq. ft. for garage. Plus, padded fudge factor = total 2,450 sq. ft.

Rider59 likes this post.
User avatar
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet
 
Posts: 25941
Likes: 2446 posts
Liked in: 8119 posts
Joined: Jul 6th, 2008, 9:41 pm

Re: Square Footage

Postby Rider59 » Sep 8th, 2017, 2:20 pm

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Sep 8th, 2017, 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
Rider59
Board Meister
 
Posts: 449
Likes: 289 posts
Liked in: 418 posts
Joined: Aug 17th, 2016, 9:02 am

Re: Square Footage

Postby lesliepaul » Sep 8th, 2017, 2:34 pm

Rider59 wrote:
Glacier wrote:It seems to me that the definition keeps changing over the years. I remember when square footage only referred to your main floors. Then it included all finished living space in the basement too. Then I started seeing listings that included unfinished space. Now the house across the street from is including the garage space in the square footage of the place. Before you know it, they're going to start including the driveway and patio.

House across the street: 1050 sq. ft. main floor, 700 sq ft. down, plus another 600 sq. ft. for garage. Plus, padded fudge factor = total 2,450 sq. ft.


*removed*


Noticed this trend in B.C. first...........I guess it is the B.C. way of making yourself and your THINGS bigger than they are........and hope for a big payday down the road.

Main floor and upstairs (two-story or story and a 1/2) is the main living area and is the primary square footage. Then you can add additional finished/unfinished 1000 sq. ft. basement with a description. Just another way Real Estate agents embellish a listing.

B.C. reminds me of the fisherman that dislocated both shoulders describing the fish he caught.

Ken7 likes this post.
lesliepaul
Übergod
 
Posts: 1006
Likes: 4 posts
Liked in: 791 posts
Joined: Aug 7th, 2011, 12:56 pm

Re: Square Footage

Postby Jlabute » Sep 8th, 2017, 2:58 pm

They should do cubic feet. That way you'd know if there were potentially low ceilings.lol
I do diligence and sometimes diligence does me.

4 people like this post.
User avatar
Jlabute
Übergod
 
Posts: 1235
Likes: 611 posts
Liked in: 734 posts
Joined: Jan 18th, 2009, 1:08 pm

Re: Square Footage

Postby kgcayenne » Sep 8th, 2017, 3:05 pm

I want 3D renderings, dammit.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
User avatar
kgcayenne
Walks on Forum Water
 
Posts: 12770
Likes: 1609 posts
Liked in: 3417 posts
Joined: Aug 10th, 2005, 5:35 pm
Location: West Kelowna

Re: Square Footage

Postby Bsuds » Sep 8th, 2017, 3:39 pm

Next it will be in Centipeters to make it seem bigger!
Deja Poo, the feeling I've heard all this crap before!
User avatar
Bsuds
The Wagon Master
 
Posts: 41349
Likes: 7461 posts
Liked in: 9469 posts
Joined: Apr 21st, 2005, 9:46 am

Re: Square Footage

Postby dodgerdodge » Sep 8th, 2017, 3:51 pm

lesliepaul wrote:
Noticed this trend in B.C. first...........I guess it is the B.C. way of making yourself and your THINGS bigger than they are........and hope for a big payday down the road.

Main floor and upstairs (two-story or story and a 1/2) is the main living area and is the primary square footage. Then you can add additional finished/unfinished 1000 sq. ft. basement with a description. Just another way Real Estate agents embellish a listing.

B.C. reminds me of the fisherman that dislocated both shoulders describing the fish he caught.


But why? If you live in a home with basement then its part of the home and therefore part of the square footage. I don't understand why people say "oh its a rancher, about 1200 sq ft" and then when you push them a bit suddenly its twice the size because guess what they have a fully finished basement with actually more space than upstairs. Even if the basement is unfinished it still counts as potential living space but should be listed as "unfinished"

kevcol99 likes this post.
dodgerdodge
Übergod
 
Posts: 1441
Likes: 98 posts
Liked in: 345 posts
Joined: Jun 9th, 2010, 6:35 am

Re: Square Footage

Postby vegas1500 » Sep 8th, 2017, 4:44 pm

dodgerdodge wrote:
lesliepaul wrote:
Noticed this trend in B.C. first...........I guess it is the B.C. way of making yourself and your THINGS bigger than they are........and hope for a big payday down the road.

Main floor and upstairs (two-story or story and a 1/2) is the main living area and is the primary square footage. Then you can add additional finished/unfinished 1000 sq. ft. basement with a description. Just another way Real Estate agents embellish a listing.

B.C. reminds me of the fisherman that dislocated both shoulders describing the fish he caught.


But why? If you live in a home with basement then its part of the home and therefore part of the square footage. I don't understand why people say "oh its a rancher, about 1200 sq ft" and then when you push them a bit suddenly its twice the size because guess what they have a fully finished basement with actually more space than upstairs. Even if the basement is unfinished it still counts as potential living space but should be listed as "unfinished"



In AB always has been
Bungalow- main floor sq footage
2 story- Main floor and upstairs (bonus room if applicable)
1.5 story- main and upstairs (and bonus room if it has it)
Bi-level or split- usually all floors except lowest level
User avatar
vegas1500
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 838
Likes: 2471 posts
Liked in: 1026 posts
Joined: Aug 4th, 2013, 5:53 pm

Re: Square Footage

Postby Glacier » Sep 8th, 2017, 5:59 pm

Screw Alberta. I like the idea of cubic feet. I wonder if tax assessments take into account my 7 foot basement ceiling versus my neighbor's 9 foot ceiling (different neighbor).

Jlabute likes this post.
User avatar
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet
 
Posts: 25941
Likes: 2446 posts
Liked in: 8119 posts
Joined: Jul 6th, 2008, 9:41 pm

Re: Square Footage

Postby Bsuds » Sep 8th, 2017, 7:00 pm

Whats that in Cubits?
Deja Poo, the feeling I've heard all this crap before!

Glacier likes this post.
User avatar
Bsuds
The Wagon Master
 
Posts: 41349
Likes: 7461 posts
Liked in: 9469 posts
Joined: Apr 21st, 2005, 9:46 am

Re: Square Footage

Postby lesliepaul » Sep 8th, 2017, 7:10 pm

In AB always has been
Bungalow- main floor sq footage
2 story- Main floor and upstairs (bonus room if applicable)
1.5 story- main and upstairs (and bonus room if it has it)
Bi-level or split- usually all floors except lowest level
[/quote]

Same in Saskatchewan, Manitoba and Ontario............
lesliepaul
Übergod
 
Posts: 1006
Likes: 4 posts
Liked in: 791 posts
Joined: Aug 7th, 2011, 12:56 pm

Re: Square Footage

Postby ken tukee » Sep 8th, 2017, 8:02 pm

lesliepaul wrote:
Same in Saskatchewan, Manitoba and Ontario............

and quebec
User avatar
ken tukee
 
Posts: 17
Likes: 3 posts
Liked in: 9 posts
Joined: Nov 2nd, 2016, 5:22 am

Re: Square Footage

Postby 60-YEARS-in-Ktown » Sep 8th, 2017, 8:23 pm

If you think that is bad..,
How about houses in the Hospital area being described as Lower Mission...in RealtorSpeak...
When I lived directly across the street from the south entrance to Mission Park Mall, (for better part of a decade), I would have been ashamed to call it Mission

If sq footage is followed by, total footage. That I accept.
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
User avatar
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3464
Likes: 340 posts
Liked in: 1566 posts
Joined: Sep 24th, 2006, 10:43 am
Location: Wrong side of the Tracks

Re: Square Footage

Postby lightspeed » Sep 8th, 2017, 8:24 pm

kgcayenne wrote:I want 3D renderings, dammit.


www.mymatterport.com

You pretty much got it.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"
User avatar
lightspeed
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2531
Likes: 4009 posts
Liked in: 1974 posts
Joined: Jan 13th, 2016, 9:58 am
Location: Vulgaria

Re: Square Footage

Postby LANDM » Sep 8th, 2017, 11:19 pm

Glacier wrote:It seems to me that the definition keeps changing over the years. I remember when square footage only referred to your main floors. Then it included all finished living space in the basement too. Then I started seeing listings that included unfinished space. Now the house across the street from is including the garage space in the square footage of the place. Before you know it, they're going to start including the driveway and patio.

House across the street: 1050 sq. ft. main floor, 700 sq ft. down, plus another 600 sq. ft. for garage. Plus, padded fudge factor = total 2,450 sq. ft.

If it is done, it doesn't mean it is correct or allowable. If what you describe is true and in the finished floor area you should do the correct thing and report it.
LANDM
Guru
 
Posts: 5334
Likes: 1254 posts
Liked in: 2606 posts
Joined: Sep 18th, 2009, 10:58 am

Next

Return to Central Okanagan

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Catsumi, dle, frellingdren, voice of reason and 13 guests