Bargain Shop sells...

Verbatim

Re: Bargain Shop sells...

Post by Verbatim »

voice of reason wrote:
I think when basic rents are around $1600+ for a 1 bedroom apartment in Kelowna, and closer to $2,000+ for a 2 bedroom, that $19/hr is not going to go far on a 40 hour week after taxes for 1 person. If you ARE the only person living in your household it really doesn't matter what "household income assumes". The fact is, your household income of $19/hr could have you needing the food bank in this City.

Oh please. My stepdaughter earns $18 an hour. She split with her boyfriend last year and suddenly had to carry the burden of all living expenses on her own. She now lives in an $1,100 a month "micro" basement suite (it's pretty tiny but it has everything). And she has somehow managed to scrape together enough for a payment on a new car, she still pampers herself from time to time and has enough left over for some decent entertainment (she loves Okanagan wine!).

Making ends meet in this town on a modest income isn't easy but it can be done.

I think we need to be clear about what we are debating when it comes to a concept like "affordable housing." Are we talking about it for people like my stepdaughter? For seniors on a limited pension? For a single mother of three on social assistance? For someone on disability? For the homeless? Because these are not one and the same and their needs will be vastly different. (As for students and minimum wage earners I say "get a roommate," I did at the time)

That said, none of them are going to be accommodated on a parcel of land bare land that sold for almost $9 million - let's not be ridiculous.
voice of reason
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by voice of reason »

next time you are driving thru kelowna look around you at the 5 miles of strip malls and tim hortons stores.none of those people who work in any of those places make anything near 18 bucks an hour and none of them get 40 hours a week.those people need somewhere to live too
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

Well, they live somewhere now...
voice of reason
Grand Pooh-bah

Even Steven wrote:Well, they live somewhere now...

you dont say
voice of reason
Grand Pooh-bah

as usual no one gives a shxt about the working poor
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

voice of reason wrote:as usual no one gives a shxt about the working poor

Not true! I have one living in my basement.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
voice of reason
Grand Pooh-bah

18 bucks an hour = about 2000 per month after taxes

When you're looking for a place to live, one number rules your world: You should spend no more than 30 percent of your income on housing. You may hear that rule of thumb from a financial adviser or parent, a landlord or lender. It's embedded in online budget calculators and federal policies.

30% of 2000 buck is 600 dollars.you would need to spend 60% of your income to rent a cheap *bleep* basement suite in rutland if you can even find one.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

voice of reason wrote:18 bucks an hour = about 2000 per month after taxes

When you're looking for a place to live, one number rules your world: You should spend no more than 30 percent of your income on housing. You may hear that rule of thumb from a financial adviser or parent, a landlord or lender. It's embedded in online budget calculators and federal policies.

30% of 2000 buck is 600 dollars.you would need to spend 60% of your income to rent a cheap *bleep* basement suite in rutland if you can even find one.

1st off, the rule of thumb is 30% of income - that means pre-tax.

Should and reality are vastly different. The reality is that very few people spend 30% or less of their income on rent/mortgage. If you look at median household income and compare with average cost of single family home in Kelowna that should be apparent to you.

Some very nice looking 2 bedroom suites listed on Castanet classifieds for $1600/mo. Get a room mate and you're living well within means.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

^^^^^ But I shouldn't have to get a roommate or roommates. I want to live where I want and have what I want regardless of my income, IQ, poor education, drug problems,laziness, ups and downs, life throws at me stuff and so on. Society owes me and all of you should provide it for me. Or I could get a couple of roommates and work at minimum wage jobs and have the same things.
'But why should I?

Man is that a stupid argument. Man up, buckle up, move on, move out and otherwise get off your *bleep* and make something of yourself before your self entitled pity party train comes into the station and retires. Or get roommates. Like you said and I agree with you.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

Its time for Kelowna to grow up!

;)
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.

Return to “Central Okanagan”