Bargain Shop sells...

youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Bargain Shop sells...

Post by youjustcomplain »

dle wrote:Crappy news IMHO is: Kelowna is supposedly getting yet another highrise of 26 stories on the property. Will it be affordable housing? Probably not.

Adding to the supply will only help ease prices. Adding a few houses will do almost nothing, but a 26 story building will add a lot of supply to the market, supply that is badly needed.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

W105 wrote:why can't a city have affordable housing ??

Because nice cities attract people, and more people are attracted the more pressure is put on prices to go up. You're fighting natural forces of the real estate market. The nicer city is, less affordable it will be.
where should the min wage earners live ??

Where they can afford.
where should seniors (on fixed incomes) and those on disability live ??

Where they can afford
where should students live ??

Where they can afford

please explain why there should no affordable housing in Kelowna besides saying it's a nice city...

See my first sentence.
KelownaCrackinCrew
Fledgling

Post by KelownaCrackinCrew »

ranger49 wrote:I rent downtown, in a one bedroom condo with no dishwasher or washer/dryer. I pay $2000 per month! Love it here.

It's so self entitled to think that someone else should pay for your house so you can live in an desirable place.

Earn your way.

I know Kelowna is expensive but you are getting robbed, I am sure you could've settled for a condo with 2 bedrooms, a dishwasher and washer and dryer for that price..but I am assuming that was your choice. I know a couple who owns 3 condo's at waterscapes they rent them each out for $1650 a month each, one of them is $1750 because its closer to the top. 2 bedrooms fully loaded.
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

youjustcomplain wrote:
dle wrote:Crappy news IMHO is: Kelowna is supposedly getting yet another highrise of 26 stories on the property. Will it be affordable housing? Probably not.

Adding to the supply will only help ease prices. Adding a few houses will do almost nothing, but a 26 story building will add a lot of supply to the market, supply that is badly needed.

Totally agree houses won't do it - affordable apartment or condo living density living might. I balk at 26 stories obviously because at that height we can be assured it will not be affordable for anyone who earns a modest income, or even a middle of the road income if they have kids. I think by continuing to give permits to only those developers presenting 26+ story buildings the City itself is setting a tone that all we want here is high income earnings, high end development, that we are not family friendly. I can just see all the readers throwing Central Green at me right now and I'm ducking fast - I think it will be somewhat more affordable, but still not for the steady working, minimum wage earner and they need to live somewhere too. Are we going to be discriminating in a way against those people if the City is only building skyrises? I also want to know why some people posting here should think only the very rich should live in the downtown?? What up with that? Better take our noses out of the air I think. Sure it's prime land downtown but it belongs to all of us who live here as a community and I think we need not to view "affordable" housing as such to house the homeless or down on their luck folks, we need to view "affordable" housing as what is needed for a majority of people - ie the "community" we live ine. We also have to remember that a lot of the businesses we used to have in Kelowna that paid the big buck ie Western Star, Campion, Telus etc blew town a long time ago.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

dle wrote:I think by continuing to give permits to only those developers presenting 26+ story buildings the City itself is setting a tone that all we want here is high income earnings, high end development, that we are not family friendly.

Are you under impression that City council somehow manages to only give permits to those who stand behind big developments? It's doesn't work that way.

Truth of the matter is that only big developments can afford to buy huge parcels of land in prime areas like downtown, sink millions into developing it into some sort of project, and still make some money by selling rather expensive housing. You'll never see "affordable" high rise simply because it costs too much to build and too much to acquire land. If they were to make it "affordable" by lowering sale prices, they'd lose money, and they're in business of making money.
voice of reason
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by voice of reason »

W105 wrote:why can't a city have affordable housing ?? where should the min wage earners live ?? where should seniors (on fixed incomes) and those on disability live ?? where should students live ??

please explain why there should no affordable housing in Kelowna besides saying it's a nice city...

According to the castanet forum heros they should all move away or just make more money and stop being poor.castanet is a weird forum.if you are a homeless junkie then they support your right to do whatever you want wherever you want on the tax payers dime.if you are working poor screw em.they need to work harder or move to somewhere they can afford.if you contribute nothing you get support from the forum .if you are a drug addict you get support.if you just have a crappy job you are a pariah
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

youjustcomplain wrote:Adding to the supply will only help ease prices. Adding a few houses will do almost nothing, but a 26 story building will add a lot of supply to the market, supply that is badly needed.

In theory - not so much in an artificially ballooned market. Prices will remain high despite added capacity.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Scrobins94
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Scrobins94 »

The Bargain shop at twenty-something stories will not be as bad because it is further away from the water. Ella on the other hand is too tall for being that close to the water. I am saddened that downtown will soon not feel as bright and airy as it is now thanks to the big buildings and their giant shadows... It will be a nightmare to get into downtown by car. Hopefully they close up some streets and make it bike/pedestrian only.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

I want to retire right next to Stanley Park, but I can't afford much, so the people in the city need to provide me affordable housing because I'm old. If they don't, they are mean and stupid. I could move and retire elsewhere I guess, but I want to live in the Stanley Park area with a 2 minute walk to the sea wall. I should be able to. The city needs me!

Really? I hope this sounds stupid, because it is. It's the same stupid thing here. Just because you're a min wage (lifetime) worker, or a senior on a pension, you still are not entitled to live in a prime area,in a prime city, in prime province. To bad. If you want to live the way you want and where you wish to when you're old, then the best advice I can give is; WORK HARD AND AQUIRE WEALTH WHILE YOURE YOUNG. Otherwise, live where you can afford and be content with little. Hope your health is good, because really that's all that'll matter anyways.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
Walking Wounded
Übergod

Post by Walking Wounded »

voice of reason wrote:they should build a 32 story willow inn .the destruction of the willow marks the beginning of the end for the working man in kelowna.we will never see day time strippers in this town again.there is something to be said about a $9.99 steak sandwich,a jug of beer and strippers at 12:30 on a week day.

Brings back some memories. That's how I spent my first couple of weeks in Kelowna 25 yrs ago.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

voice of reason wrote:According to the castanet forum heros they should all move away or just make more money and stop being poor.

Honestly - YES. That's exactly my thought. Very few people who make minimum wage at 40yo are there because life gave them a bad shake. Anyone can get student loans and anyone can better themselves and get ahead in life. But it involves effort and compromise to get there. If you're not willing to work hard, live on a student's salary, or do a job that you think is "below you" then you get to rent a bedroom in a shack. If you made poor life decisions and spent your money on vacations, booze, and cigarettes rather than saving for retirement then you get to rent a bedroom in a shack.

Seriously - in 95% of cases there's no reason to be working a min wage job unless you're just starting out of you've made poor decisions in life. Even at 45yo you can go back to school. Take a 2 year degree program or even some tailored classes. It's not rocket science, it's effort and compromise.

I worked full time at McDonalds to pay my way through college. I then started at an entry level position, worked hard, and progressed my career. No magic pixie dust here, no silver spoon, not someone who's above average intelligence - just hard work. If I can do it, so can everyone else.

castanet is a weird forum.if you are a homeless junkie then they support your right to do whatever you want wherever you want on the tax payers dime.if you are working poor screw em.they need to work harder or move to somewhere they can afford.if you contribute nothing you get support from the forum .if you are a drug addict you get support.if you just have a crappy job you are a pariah

Or if you're working a min wage job someone on Castanet will support your right to own a nice home in one of the most desirable locations in Canada. Castanet is just a reflection of the diversity of our society. Very few topics out there that everyone will agree on.
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

And it will be another Mission Group development at the Bargain Store location. Good for them.........hopefully it is not a fire-trap or takes down adjacent properties in the name of maximum profit. I'll have to check and see if there ever was a dry-cleaner at that location........oh wait, sorry........the dry cleaner was on the land at the Ella development on Ellis.
Scrobins94
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Scrobins94 »

lesliepaul wrote:And it will be another Mission Group development at the Bargain Store location. Good for them.........hopefully it is not a fire-trap or takes down adjacent properties in the name of maximum profit. I'll have to check and see if there ever was a dry-cleaner at that location........oh wait, sorry........the dry cleaner was on the land at the Ella development on Ellis.

Do you have a source to back up your comment that it will be another Mission Group development? Either way... I hope whoever bought it considers the charm of downtown, although I don't think they will. It's usually all in the name of maximum profit.
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

Do you have a source to back up your comment that it will be another Mission Group development? Either way... I hope whoever bought it considers the charm of downtown, although I don't think they will. It's usually all in the name of maximum profit.

[/qhttps://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-206420-1-.htm#206420uote]

Check the Castanet headlines on the "opening page" before heading to the Forums.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

JLives wrote:We have working women too. I have had many interesting experiences at the Willow but times change. I am glad I got to experience a locally legendary place and look forward to what the future brings.

Support single Mommies as no one else will!

Not sure about the "Charm" of downtown....oh well.

Return to “Central Okanagan”