Kelowna yacht Club leaking money

grumpies daughter
Board Meister

Kelowna yacht Club leaking money

Post by grumpies daughter »

Global news tonight reported that the KYC has lost over half a million dollars this year. How does that happen?
try to live your whole life west of the rockies
Loki2u
Board Meister

Re: Kelowna yacht Club leaking money

Post by Loki2u »

Didn't see the news story but my best guess would be because of all the flooding and boating restrictions on the lake this year which probably resulted in property damages and loss of revenues.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your INFORMED opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant. -Harlan Ellison-
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

You'll be surprised how easy it is to lose money when running a business this big in Kelowna.

It's not all puppies and rainbows.
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

Considering that BOAT stands for
Bring Over Another Thousand
and they have hundreds of boats there it's no wonder they are losing so much money.
GoStumpy
Lord of the Board

Post by GoStumpy »

grumpies daughter wrote:Global news tonight reported that the KYC has lost over half a million dollars this year. How does that happen?

Oh my god.

Did you just move here in the past 15 minutes?

Almost ALL boating related businesses have had large issues this year, one that dealt with the flooding and lake closure would definitely be affected... pretty hard to turn a profit when you're flooded and closed?

JEEZ.

BTW, people and businesses have lost over a half million dollars in DOZENS of other things that didn't make the news, just a heads up if you want to get up in arms about those :)
Disclaimer: My posts may contain honesty. May not be suitable for all audiences.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

grumpies daughter wrote:Global news tonight reported that the KYC has lost over half a million dollars this year. How does that happen?

I do not believe they lost, they projected a sum and due to the circumstances that necessary operating budget was not met. They therefore have released the GM of the Club and are considering ways to cut costs.

To bad the place was not looking like the original plan, they could have renamed it "I HOPE SHE FLOATS."

Members may be asked to buck up $350.00 each to cover some of the operating costs. I thought that was interesting, how can you do that when people budget what they spend there. Just glad I am not in that class, LOL. I have had offers to join but I can't be like some of those......_____________________.
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

Did they REALLY lose money or are they like so many other (big) business's that claim they lost money because profit this year did not exceed last years profit..........too many companies or business's claim a loss publicly when in fact there WAS a profit, just not enough.

Looks like the Thurston Howells of Kelowna will have to cough up some more of their "play dough". UNLESS our mayor (Gilligan) comes to their rescue.

Hey Basran..........was that you I seen swabbing the poop-deck of one of your election donators near the yacht club?
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

lesliepaul wrote:Did they REALLY lose money or are they like so many other (big) business's that claim they lost money because profit this year did not exceed last years profit..........too many companies or business's claim a loss publicly when in fact there WAS a profit, just not enough.

Looks like the Thurston Howells of Kelowna will have to cough up some more of their "play dough". UNLESS our mayor (Gilligan) comes to their rescue.

Hey Basran..........was that you I seen swabbing the poop-deck of one of your election donators near the yacht club?

As I stated they did not meet the projected figure. I actually taped the news, but it likely is in the paper as well. I do further do not believe someone was skimming as they made NO mention of a investigation or police involved.
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

stuphoto wrote:Considering that BOAT stands for
and they have hundreds of boats there it's no wonder they are losing so much money.

They don't own the boats so should be irrelevant. People commit to the slips in advance and pay a year in advance (non-refundable) I believe so that income should have been the same. Maybe people weren't hanging out down there and spending money when they weren't using their boats.

You purchase a shared mbrship there so they could do a special assessment and levy a charge to all mbrs.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

vegas1500 wrote:
They don't own the boats so should be irrelevant. People commit to the slips in advance and pay a year in advance (non-refundable) I believe so that income should have been the same. Maybe people weren't hanging out down there and spending money when they weren't using their boats.

You purchase a shared mbrship there so they could do a special assessment and levy a charge to all mbrs.

It will be interesting seeing what happens.

I'd think in their Bylaws and Constitutions they can only raise the prices by a percentage per year.

I wonder how many will say no. That would be my answer, raise the cost next year as per the Bylaws and then one can stay of leave. I don't think it is proper to go back and ask for more, not the proper way to do business at all.
grumpies daughter
Board Meister

Post by grumpies daughter »

I think that the big problem is the food and Beverage , even though the members are forced to pay about 3 or 4 hundred into the food and beverage ve3nue each year, I don't think that comes close to supporting the number of staff that are required to support the square footage
try to live your whole life west of the rockies
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

vegas1500 wrote:
stuphoto wrote:Considering that BOAT stands for

Vegas, I believe you've nailed it right here. On top of "Make No Wake" for like, June and July, what would be the fun of heading up to the club with all the smoke views? Lost revenue on all sides and it's all added up.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

Maybe the "if you build it - they will come" philosophy didn't quite pan out the way they were projecting.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

Chalk it up to an out of ordinary bad season .
They will slowly make the money back and recover from it.

Half a million bux ain't so much if you say it real fast ! !
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

They are contemplating downsizing some of their square footage. Could there be enough rearranging in that building to accommodate a tourist information centre?
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent

Return to “Central Okanagan”