Wholesale Sports is closing.

Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Re: Wholesale Sports is closing.

Post by Anonymous123 »

kgcayenne wrote:Anyone have recommendations for finding good hiking shoes in WK? We don't want to 'go into town' if we can avoid it, besides The North Face store on Bernard is gone, Sport Check has lack of inventory/sizes, and Atmosphere has hours that just don't work for our schedules, unless we want to take time off work and ensure the purchase of two pairs of hiking shoes costs $500.

Amazon if you want it fast. eBay if you can wait a bit.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

Just try it out locally, find the exact style you like, exact size that fits you, and order it from Amazon. You'll save yourself 30% at least.

There's also Zappos.com
Huntress1992

Post by Huntress1992 »

Sales will get better as they get down to their closing date, December 28th I'd imagine. Just as the Target did when they shut their doors. It's a strategy to recover as much cost as they can on products. They know people will buy the good stuff for less of a discount right away because they know it'll be gone if they wait too long. That's the way business goes.
sulchie
Fledgling

Post by sulchie »

Even Steven wrote:Just try it out locally, find the exact style you like, exact size that fits you, and order it from Amazon. You'll save yourself 30% at least.

There's also Zappos.com

This is the problem. You're already at the store with shoes in hand, just buy them. Or else the shoe store will have to close and you'll have nowhere to even try on shoes, except walmart.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Even Steven wrote:Just try it out locally, find the exact style you like, exact size that fits you, and order it from Amazon. You'll save yourself 30% at least.

There's also Zappos.com
sulchie wrote:
This is the problem. You're already at the store with shoes in hand, just buy them. Or else the shoe store will have to close and you'll have nowhere to even try on shoes, except walmart.

I have some neuropathy (nerve damage) in my feet and shoes are a tough buy for me. If they don't feel "right" then I can't wear them. I have tried ordering online with mixed success. It's difficult to impossible to get a proper fit/feeling.

I much prefer to try them on in person.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

I too have some reasons to need to try footwear, especially with the way there's so little correlation between brands. I don't mind paying well, but I expect quality.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

kgcayenne wrote:I too have some reasons to need to try footwear, especially with the way there's so little correlation between brands. I don't mind paying well, but I expect quality.

This would be a separate thread but clothing/shoe sizing between mfrs is horrible. There is no way you can be confident something will fit properly if purchased on-line.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

sulchie wrote:This is the problem. You're already at the store with shoes in hand, just buy them. Or else the shoe store will have to close and you'll have nowhere to even try on shoes, except walmart.

It doesn't cost the store money if I pop in and check things out. They're already open. They already have staff. They already have lights on. They're not spending extra money on me walking into the door.

And if they can't compete with online, they're dinosaurs.
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

Thats why are focusing their efforts on commercial. Consumers are too hard to deal with and they are never right...even though they are entitled to be. Commercial clients do not care as long as it works.

But a place like this probably would work better in the States than in Canada...
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
ol goat
Fledgling

Post by ol goat »

It doesn't cost the store money if I pop in and check things out. They're already open. They already have staff. They already have lights on. They're not spending extra money on me walking into the door.

And if they can't compete with online, they're dinosaurs.[/quote]

That's the reason stores close is because of that sort of reasoning. The store do have to pay staff, rent, buying the product paying the hidden costs getting it to them i:e taxes, brokerage fees if imported, shipping
By the time most little stores do this , there is little if any profit left if they meet the online pricing
You only get one chance to use TODAY wisely otherwise it becomes yesterday and it’s gone
ol goat
Fledgling

Post by ol goat »

Granted this store was higher priced than most local compitition
You only get one chance to use TODAY wisely otherwise it becomes yesterday and it’s gone
sulchie
Fledgling

Post by sulchie »

And if they can't compete with online, they're dinosaurs.

They have to sell stuff to keep the lights on and the rent paid and employees paid and the ceo needs a nice dividend too. Future Shop died because of this exact mentality you have.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

sulchie wrote:Future Shop died because of this exact mentality you have.

Then they deserve to die. If they can't compete with online, they're not fit to be in the marketplace.
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

10 years ago I thought MEC was a great store with pretty good prices at the time. Never went in one for 6 years until the Kelowna store opened and WOW!!!!!!........clothing and accessories are through the roof price wise. Will wait until next year when a trip to the U.S. is planned to buy clothing and other daily used items. By the way......the deals are better the further south you go from the border. Remember, Oregon also has no sales tax..........can't wait and will be looking at some U.S. money soon. Even at 15 to 20 cents on the dollar there are huge savings on lots of things we are interested in. Been in Cabela's and Bass down there and thank god I am not an "outdoorsman"........expensive lifestyle any way you look at it. You have to look at the smaller name local shops to save.
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

Even Steven wrote:
sulchie wrote:Future Shop died because of this exact mentality you have.

Then they deserve to die. If they can't compete with online, they're not fit to be in the marketplace.

Best buy killed it because they wanted to have the Best Buy name in all markets. US and Canada. No point to have "competing" stores.
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.

Return to “Central Okanagan”